• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] PD v Thunderbird?

Why would you call the Starfire inferior, let alone "obviously" inferior? They're a damn good mold and anyone who has known the market for a decade or more will agree with me.

PD > Starfire I understand the argument. The Thunderbird hasn't even been out for a year.

I swapped my S-PD for a Champ Thunderbird. Same flight and better grip on the JL plastic blend. PDs are more versatile but only because they've had more runs/plastics to provide the variants needed to cover so much ground. You can throw a Thunderbird in a bag of PDs and not skip a beat.

I've used both of them as faster alternatives to my eagles. In my experience, PDs are more similar to a longer Eagle X's and Thunderbird are more similar to longer fresh Eagle L's. I beat in my first PD, so it can cover shots where I might have otherwise used a Thunderbird. I dropped the Thunderbird because I like cycling discs. Even if I really clicked with the Thunderbird, I'd still keep a PD in the bag for when the wind picks up or if I need a sharper hyzer finish.

Disclaimer - I've only thrown max weight C and S-Line PDs and max weight glow thunderbirds. There are quite a few variants of each disc so YMMV.

Last edited:
I've never liked the anhyzer top on the PD. Seems to make me not get a consistent release with it, although I completely understand that that's my own issue and probably also due to me never taking the time to really learn to throw them.

Anyway I'm currently throwing DX Thunderbirds, which I love. They start out very beefy but still with some glide, I'd say beefier than the S-PD's I've thrown (granted I've only thrown a couple). I've thrown champion and GStar Thunderbirds briefly as well, and they both started out less overstable than the DX. I haven't thrown a Star Thunderbird, but I've heard they are quite OS with less glide. Given the variance in Thunderbirds by plastic, I'm guessing you could cover all the same lines people use PDs for, but my experience is fairly limited so I could be wrong. Possibly the more OS runs of C-PDs are still more OS than a Star Thunderbird?

I've used both of them as faster alternatives to my eagles. In my experience, PDs are more similar to a longer Eagle X's and Thunderbird are more similar to longer fresh Eagle L's.

I'll buy that for a dollar, though maybe a Canadian dollar.

Why would you call the Starfire inferior, let alone "obviously" inferior? They're a damn good mold and anyone who has known the market for a decade or more will agree with me.

PD > Starfire I understand the argument. The Thunderbird hasn't even been out for a year.

You want a civil discussion then proceed to slander the Starfire like that?!?!? :p

Haha :doh:

I mainly throw first run PDs, so take that in mind in my comments..

They are pretty similar discs in feel and flight. The main difference for me is the glide. They both have similar distance potential, I'm typically throwing them in the 370-400 range. The Thunderbird will get there by glide and the PD will get there by speed. The PD typically works better in wind for me also.

I don't always agree with the charts but they are pretty close to my experience with these two. Biggest difference is that the SPD has a little earlier and harder fade then the Champ Thunderbird. I prefer the Thundy. I've thought about trying the CD-2 also, seems very close to the Thunderbird also spec and chart wise.

Thunderbird is straighter, longer, with more glide and less fade than the PD. The more power you have the more obvious the difference becomes. Guys who throw thunderbirds in the 300-350 range generally get a nice fade out of them, and they have a good combo of glide and fade. Once you start throwing them farther then that the thunderbird starts acting like a pretty straight disc, even when new. Tons of glide tho. PD is better in wind and better for hyzers for power players.

Thunderbird is straighter, longer, with more glide and less fade than the PD. The more power you have the more obvious the difference becomes. Guys who throw thunderbirds in the 300-350 range generally get a nice fade out of them, and they have a good combo of glide and fade. Once you start throwing them farther then that the thunderbird starts acting like a pretty straight disc, even when new. Tons of glide tho. PD is better in wind and better for hyzers for power players.

Yeah I thought the Champ and GStar Thunderbirds I threw started to get pretty straight when I was throwing them in a field out to around 370-390. Have you thrown a Star though? I've heard that the Stars are a bit less glidey and more OS so I'm guessing they might act a bit more like PDs at longer distances. Maybe someone who has thrown those can confirm/deny that.

Can't go wrong with either. Flip a coin. I prefer the Thundy. I like how they feel and fly a little better. I also bag Starfires though. I can't trust the Thunderbird in the wind as much as a Starfire. Starfires are the Sh!t!!! They are in a different class and can't be compared to the Thunderbird or PD. You can't shape the same lines with them. I have some beat to hell Starfires and they still fade like Firebirds.

My experience has been that they are interchangeable. I would also put the Westside Sampo in the same catagory. Which of the three you throw is almost entirely due to feel. PDs tend to be domier than the other two, but the flights for comparable plastics are very similar.