• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA # 50,000

played with Dan Stork Roddick #3

PDGA announced they have issued membership number 90,000.

On December 27th, 2015, Norway's Iver Melgård became PDGA member number 80000. Today, less than 11 months later we've hit another milestone. Thank you to Eric Beck of Colorado, PDGA member 90000! And thank you to all of our members for helping grow the amazing sport of #discgolf!

Eric Beck #90000

It took roughly 11 years to assign the first 10,000 member numbers by the end of 1993. It took 3 years during 2006-2009 to assign the 10,000 numbers between 30,000 to 39,999 and now a bit less than 1 year for 80,000-89,999.

Last edited:
Here are some other stats on this. Since number 10,000 assigned in late 1993, the PDGA number assignments have progressed at a 10% compound rate to 90,000. It was a 9% compound annual rate for 13 years to the number 30,000. Compound rate of 11% for the next 7 years until 60,000 issued. Then, 13% compound rate over the next 3.4 years to 90,000 being issued. So even growth rate not just growth has been accelerating.

Here are some other stats on this. Since number 10,000 assigned in late 1993, the PDGA number assignments have progressed at a 10% compound rate to 90,000. It was a 9% compound annual rate for 13 years to the number 30,000. Compound rate of 11% for the next 7 years until 60,000 issued. Then, 13% compound rate over the next 3.4 years to 90,000 being issued. So even growth rate not just growth has been accelerating.

How many are current?

This is what I am wondering about. We always talk about how many new members join every year, but what is the net gain after considering non renewals?

Six years ago I felt like a youngling with #45428, now I feel like a grizzled old veteran. Does anyone else share this sentiment?

How many are current?
Neighborhood of 32,000. It's tricky to get a real handle. This is renewal season and new members coming onboard to get the bonus months at the end of this year. Late August is probably the best time to know the real numbers for a specific year just before the renewal season starts. Overall retention has held steady between 76-79% which is typical of other member orgs from what stats have been researched in the past. Typically, if you get people to renew their first time you have them for many years. It's that first year renewal that's always the challenge for any org.

Last edited:
Neighborhood of 32,000. It's tricky to get a real handle. This is renewal season and new members coming onboard to get the bonus months at the end of this year. Late August is probably the best time to know the real numbers for a specific year just before the renewal season starts.

How many people purchased 2016 memberships would be the better question.

In Feb, I checked the numbers and half of our 32,417 current members had joined within the past two years and the other half joined since 1982. 75% of current members had joined after April 2010.

Neighborhood of 32,000. It's tricky to get a real handle. This is renewal season and new members coming onboard to get the bonus months at the end of this year. Late August is probably the best time to know the real numbers for a specific year just before the renewal season starts. Overall retention has held steady between 76-79% which is typical of other member orgs from what stats have been researched in the past. Typically, if you get people to renew their first time you have them for many years. It's that first year renewal that's always the challenge for any org.

In Feb, I checked the numbers and half of our 32,417 current members had joined within the past two years and the other half joined since 1982. 75% of current members had joined after April 2010.

Thanks Chuck!

Is there a pool on #100,000 Date? Coming up very soon, maybe before USDGC...

Fact is, most likely the guy with 100,000 is going to get a membership, play two rec tournaments, maybe a league, then never renew for the rest of time.

Honestly, I think 99999 would be cooler. Last person in the 5 digit era, pioneers if the sport when one day it reaches 1 million.

I'm sure 100,000 is reserved for someone, but 99999 would be awesome

I'm sure 100,000 is reserved for someone, but 99999 would be awesome

Pretty sure they stopped reserving specific numbers a long time ago.

My guess is sometime mid to late September is when we're going to see #100,000 handed out. A friend of mine signed up on June 2 and there have been roughly 840 new members since. At that pace, that's two months and a few days to 100000.

And in the five minutes I was researching, there were three new sign ups. If there are people who want 99999 and 100000, they should be monitoring the membership list daily at this point.