• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Acquires Disc Golf Scene

Consult20

* Ace Member *
After several months of negotiations and the stamp of approval from the PDGA Board of Directors and the PDGA Executive Director, Brian Graham, the PDGA will officially acquire The Disc Golf Scene and Pete Crist will begin his new position as PDGA Lead Developer on January 1st, 2017. "The PDGA is pleased to announce the acquisition of Disc Golf Scene and excited to have Peter Crist joining our technology department as lead developer," said Graham. "This deal will allow the PDGA to have its own tournament registration system and fast track some exciting technology projects to grow the sport and provide additional services to our members."

http://www.pdga.com/pete-crist-and-disc-golf-scene-join-pdga

Wow. DGS is used A LOT in Michigan. All tournaments, active private course information and review, active comment sections, a great tool for league play and communication. I am not sure how I feel about this. It is an invaluable tool in this region. I don't know why that would cease, but I am wary. Good for Peter.

A lot of what I use DG scene for is posting my(usually non-sanctioned) events and registering(usually also non sanctioned).

Also use the trading post there a lot.

This could be a good thing for a lot of people, but for me personally I feel that it will make things harder. Especially since I don't use Facebook.

Wow. DGS is used A LOT in Michigan. All tournaments, active private course information and review, active comment sections, a great tool for league play and communication. I am not sure how I feel about this. It is an invaluable tool in this region. I don't know why that would cease, but I am wary. Good for Peter.

It sounds like none of that will change, unless for the better via improvements and a mobile app.

I think this is amazing news. Our club had the "crappy website" he mentioned in the article. He has long struggled to find enough time to spend on DGS (for no pay), so now getting paid and being full time on the site should allow it to get much richer and reach its potential. I'm stoked for everyone involved on this. Nice farewell gift from Brian Graham, and this could prove to be a very inspired move by the PDGA. That said, "the devil's in the detail" though as always. Good luck PDGA and DGS!

I always sign up for tournaments via discgolfscene, so this is great news. Is it possible that more big ticket tournaments will be able to be signed up for on the site? Really excited for this

Great move. This is a win/win/win for the PDGA, Peter and disc golfers in general.

I had the pleasure of meeting Peter at the Director's Cup last month and came away very impressed.

I like this, and it rewards the huge commitment this guy made. It also clearly defined what the PDGA thinks it's role is in the sport.

I like this, and it rewards the huge commitment this guy made. It also clearly defined what the PDGA thinks it's role is in the sport.

Do you mean how the PDGA is focusing more on local C and B tiers rather than running all the NT's? If so then I agree...

Do you mean how the PDGA is focusing more on local C and B tiers rather than running all the NT's? If so then I agree...

The PDGA has always been focused on all levels of tournaments. I don't know that this would indicate any exclusion of any tournaments. The statement may very well bear out to be true, but I don't think the acquisition of DGS is any sort of signal.

The PDGA has always been focused on all levels of tournaments. I don't know that this would indicate any exclusion of any tournaments. The statement may very well bear out to be true, but I don't think the acquisition of DGS is any sort of signal.

Agreed.

The takeaway for me is that the PDGA will be getting technologically stronger by acquiring Disc Golf Scene and bringing Peter on board.

Please explain.

In part, helping TDs manage their events by providing tools. It's what their role has always been, but sometimes we need reminding. Too many they're the evil empire trying to take over posts over the years.

That's cool. Seems PDGA wants to make a commitment to technology and provide better tools for players and TDs, so that is cool.

To me it also seems pretty clear that there needs to be unification across the various factions of DG technology. How many competing DG video game apps are there? scorekeeping apps? Disc manufacturers? Competition is good, but so is getting like minded developers together to build the next big thing around standards that allow all the users to share information.