• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA iPhone app

What did you have in mind cuz I have almost all of the apps for my phone. If you want like a 1-10 with a 10 being good rating on all of them then its DiscGolf - 8 PDGA - 5 Discasaurus - 1

If you want me to do a more in depth one then I could

Your ratings are interesting! However, I think the reasons behind those ratings would be even more interesting, so I look forward to reading your first hand comparison of what it's like to use each of them. Don't forget to download the latest versions :)

why not spend the $ now....and help find any bugs to make the program better, faster?

Because I don't want to suffer through a buggy app in the meantime.

Most of the major bugs have been already noted, and the rest of everyone's suggestions are new features for the next version. I'm not planning on waiting months & months for all the bells and whistles; I'm just looking for the basic version to get its rough edges rounded out. :thmbup:

First of all, congrats to the PDGA for launching this app. I hope this attracts more attention to the sport, and I know the competition in the DG scorekeeping space will encourage innovative new features that benefit the community as a whole.

Question: Would someone be willing to do a comparative review of the latest and greatest scorekeeping apps?
I'd love to see PDGA vs. Discasaurus vs. Disc Golf. I'd do it myself, but I helped develop one of the apps, so an objective third party would probably write a better review ;o)

I did in-depth reviews of all of the iPhone/iPod and Android apps. But I am so biased, it wouldn't be fair posting my comparison!

-Theo

I found another little glitch today after my round. I don't know if it's just my phone, but when after my round I clicked the email score option and my phone just went straight back to my home screen and completely closed the program. I tried it a few more times with the same result. But I must say, keeping score with it was a breeze.

This is the first I have heard of any issues with emailing the round results. Please let me know if this is reproducible after your next round.

Thanks,
-Theo

Where is the Android love?

Android > everything else.

My phone and main device is a Droid X. I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. You don't think I want an Android version!

It's under way. Mike Dietrich, the developer who wrote the iPhone app code, and I are collaborating on the Android version. As soon as we stabilize the iPhone release, that's our priority...

-Theo

I think it is an awesome app! It lets you keep score and calculates your rating at the end, and while it might not be an official rating it is still cool to see how I played.

My only problem is that I tried to calculate a score for a 12 hole round and it said that it couldn't do it because the round had to have at least 12 holes??:doh: So I'm guessing someone accidentally left an if (x>12) instead of the correct if (x>=12)

Chuck Kennedy, the inventor of the ratings system, and one of the team members developing the apps, told us that the formulas only work for 13 holes or more. I'm pretty sure the formula and check are correct at this point.

-Theo

why not spend the $ now....and help find any bugs to make the program better, faster?

Hear, hear! If you buy it now, you get version 1.0.3, 1.0.10, and many others without any additional charges. And you'll help us convince the PDGA Board of Directors in September that we should continue the investment in development of the mobile apps.

-Theo

I will most likely purchase this app sooner than later I just wanted to know of some of this issues in advance to be aware of them. I am glad that there is an app of this caliber for disc golf. I wonder if the made a lite version for free for people to test out, then maybe they would sell more. Easier to send $5 when you have tested it out and know you like it.

A free version is definitely in the plans. It will probably come out with the next major release of the paid version (2.0?). The big issue is that we need to show the PDGA Board of Directors that the income from the app will pay for future development, and that the Board won't have to make the decision to invest income from other source to subsidize the apps.

The best way you can help is to buy a copy and support the effort! All your updates as we add features will be at no cost. Your input is incredibly valuable, and we are paying attention...

-Theo and the dev team

Because I don't want to suffer through a buggy app in the meantime.

Most of the major bugs have been already noted, and the rest of everyone's suggestions are new features for the next version. I'm not planning on waiting months & months for all the bells and whistles; I'm just looking for the basic version to get its rough edges rounded out. :thmbup:

So far, we haven't run into what I consider "major" bugs. There is a know and very sporadic issue with the keyboard not going away when it should. There was an issue with long course names getting chopped off, which is fixed in the next release. There is a report of an issue emailing the rounds scores.

These are definitely defects and are being worked, but nothing that prevents the basic functionality of the course directory or scorecard features.

We really appreciate the feedback here and on the pdga.com forum. Your input is being reviewed daily, prioritized, and incorporated into the ongoing development.

Thank you!
-Theo

It's under way. Mike Dietrich, the developer who wrote the iPhone app code, and I are collaborating on the Android version. As soon as we stabilize the iPhone release, that's our priority...

-Theo

thanks devs! i hate feeling one-upped by the apple users, im sure u feel my angst theo :D

Your ratings are interesting! However, I think the reasons behind those ratings would be even more interesting, so I look forward to reading your first hand comparison of what it's like to use each of them. Don't forget to download the latest versions :)

Alright here we go.

As I said before for me the best app out there is DiscGolf and this will be for the iPhone. I have almost very app for scoring disc golf and have used almost all of them for at least a week to see which one I like the best.

The apps the I have now tried extensively are DiscGolf, DG Caddy, PDGA, and Discasaurus. Out of these apps the best in order are DiscGolf DG Caddy PDGA and lastly Discasaurus.

For overall looks of the apps the all look really really good. To me the cleanest and best looking is DiscGolf PDGA Discasaurus DG Caddy.
DiscGolf just has a clean and easy to use ui and is just simplistic bliss.
PDGA also looks very good but there is a lot goin on on the screen when you are playin your round and can get difficult to remember where or what yOu are doin.
Discasaurus is the opposite of PDGA. In that it is just to simple. There really needs to be more going on on the screen and I wish that it would give me more about my round or my past rounds.
DG Caddy looks really well as well but where the ui is one of the best where the downfall is is that there is a lag when goin from hole to hole or when trying to scroll through your past rounds.

When it comes to the amount of features the list goes. DiscGolf DG Caddy PDGA Discasaurus.
DiscGolf offers a lot of features in that you can look at your history by date or by course. You can do rounds with multiple people. In that it gives you your average score on a hole and also the ability to upload your results to many different sites includIng Facebook.
DG Caddy is second on this list because of no facebook integration. DG Caddy has a lot of nice features with best being that it gives you your best and ur worst score for the hole as well as the average. I also like that you can choose what teepads you start from. One thing that sucks abou chosen the teepad or pin placement for the hole is that a lot of courses don't put all of their pins in the same location so u kinda screwed here.
PDGA is also pretty good with the features. I like that you can put in ur PDGA numbe and that you can search for courses near u. The next nicest thing is that you can calculate a round rating when ur done. I'm pretty sure that the rating are not accurate because I shot a 1070 rated round yesterday and I'm pretty sure that's no wheee near. I like the app but it def needs to have an average for each course and for each hole.
Discasaurus is last by a long shot. Its simple but there reall needs to be more features in it. Also there needs to be an option for a round with more then one person and to change how many holes u play on each round.

For every app there needs to be an option for what pin location you throw at. Other then that they are all decent but I also think that the PDGA needs to have an electraonic form of tr rules book in the app.

Now as for price DiscGolf and DG Caddy I both got for a dollar and I think for that price they are miles above the rest. PDGA is five bucks which is expensive but I think that it has a ton of potential so I felt comfortable paying it. Now as for the free price of Discasaurus you get what u pay for. You pay nothing so in turn u get no features.
Overall I would suggest to anyone to pay the now 2 dollar price for DiacGolf because you will no be disappointed.

NUKE - Man, was really excited for this app until I downloaded it and checked out some of my local courses. Hornet's Nest is listed as having 26 holes, when in reality it has 2 layouts of 18 holes.
Can you or someone from the Charlotte club break out your combo courses into separate 18 hole listings in the PDGA Directory? I got approval from the Course Directory manager that it was okay to do this now. You can leave the listing for Hornet's Nest in there but change it to 18 holes and add a new listing for Charlotte's Web with 18 holes and just duplicate the course location and contact info for both courses.

Downloaded the PDGA app and like it so far, couple questions though. Is there a way to edit the date when a round was played? Curious in case I want to put in scores from previous rounds that are saved on another app I was using.

Also, are there plans to have it compile statistics like specific hole averages and course averages? This may already be a feature that I just don't know how to access correctly.

Overall, great start, I really love the course finder feature.

Can you or someone from the Charlotte club break out your combo courses into separate 18 hole listings in the PDGA Directory? I got approval from the Course Directory manager that it was okay to do this now. You can leave the listing for Hornet's Nest in there but change it to 18 holes and add a new listing for Charlotte's Web with 18 holes and just duplicate the course location and contact info for both courses.

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll make it happen.

This is yet another reason why I want to hold off on purchasing the app - the quality of the data in the PDGA Course Directory. This is obviously something that the development team had no control over. But since the app calls data directly from the PDGA Course Directory, it's going to take a little bit of time for folks to fix faulty data in there, and get the more popular courses corrected and up-to-date. It would annoy me to go use the app in the meantime for a course only to find out that the data is all wrong. And before anyone suggests it, sorry, but getting course data updated in the PDGA Course Directory is something I personally don't have the time to help out with.

If there's been sufficient updates by the end of August, I'll buy the app then, which is plenty of time before the PDGA BoD meeting in September. :thmbup:

I found another little glitch today after my round. I don't know if it's just my phone, but when after my round I clicked the email score option and my phone just went straight back to my home screen and completely closed the program. I tried it a few more times with the same result. But I must say, keeping score with it was a breeze.

Just bought the app and this has happened to me a couple times already. Not specifically with the email score option, but once when i clicked on a course in the map, and once when i clicked start round.

Downloaded the PDGA app and like it so far, couple questions though. Is there a way to edit the date when a round was played? Curious in case I want to put in scores from previous rounds that are saved on another app I was using.

Also, are there plans to have it compile statistics like specific hole averages and course averages? This may already be a feature that I just don't know how to access correctly.
No date editing or historical stats functions yet. At least historical records and stats can be maintained in Excel using the Email Round function. Since the PDGA Course Directory does not yet include individual hole data (length/par) for tee-pin combos, I think that might need to come first before creating the historical stats functionality in the app so it could be applied to actual hole data.

i reviewed the app quite intensively while sitting in a meeting today. I'm curious as to why the PDGA rules manual wasn't embedded in the app. If it supported a search function, the PDGA app could save TDs and players time from reviewing the rulebook for answers.

mike