• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Membership?

What are the benefits in becoming a member of the PDGA? I'm a little new to the game and was trying to decide wether I want to get a number or not. A little in site would be much appreciated.

Welcome to Disc Golf Course Review!

http://www.pdga.com/
http://www.pdga.com/members/benefits
http://www.pdga.com/join

Benefits of PDGA membership:
As a member of the PDGA your benefits include playing in PDGA sanctioned events at a discounted rate, tracking player points and ratings, subscription to DiscGolfer - the official PDGA publication, posting privileges to the members only DISCussion Board, e-newsletters, eligibility to run/vote in elections, compete in member only events (SuperTours, National Tour Elite Series and Majors), and more!

IF you play more than I think 5 sanctioned tournaments a year than it pays off itself. For every sanctioned tournament you have to pay $10 if your NOT a member, so if you play either 5 or 6 tournaments it will pay for itself. You get a rating and can look at your tournaments to see your round ratings, strokes, etc. I know you get some hotel discounts with the membership if you have the card.

Mainly I would say get one if you plan on playing5 or more tournaments this year.

I'm not a member but correct me if I'm wrong. I belive you also get discounts on some hotels and airlines.

IF you play more than I think 5 sanctioned tournaments a year than it pays off itself. For every sanctioned tournament you have to pay $10 if your NOT a member, so if you play either 5 or 6 tournaments it will pay for itself. You get a rating and can look at your tournaments to see your round ratings, strokes, etc. I know you get some hotel discounts with the membership if you have the card.

Mainly I would say get one if you plan on playing5 or more tournaments this year.

You also get a membership disc your first year, 4 issues of DiscGolfer Magazine, and dont undervalue the ratings system and it tracking your stats. Id renew my PDGA membership if I were only playing one event. Playing 5 events will financially make getting a membership worth it, but in my opinion there is much more of a benefit to the membership than just the financial aspect.

I'm not a member but correct me if I'm wrong. I belive you also get discounts on some hotels and airlines.

The ones listed on the benefits on the official site are:
Red Roof In 20% off
Wyndham Hotel Group 20% off
Wyndham Hotels and Resorts®
Days Inn®
Ramada Worldwide®
Super 8®
Wingate By Wyndham®
Baymont Inns and Suites®
Howard Johnson®
Travelodge®
Knights Inn®
AmeriHost Inn®
Microtel Inn & Suites®
Hawthorn Suites®
Enterprise Rent-A-Car and National Car Rental offer 5% off
and Motel 6 offers 10% off

Here be some other threads you might want to check out. They might help with some other questions you might have.

I would only get one if you plan on doing tournaments. That way you will get a rating and there will be a record of all the tournaments that you have done that you can easily go back and check. The tangible perks aren't all that great though.

PDGA Membership
PDGA
PDGA: Why did you join?
PDGA Question
PDGA Rating System

Prerube.jpg

$10 less on every PDGA tournament entry and discounts on hotels. In 3 tournament entries and 2 nights in a hotel my $50 membership fee has already paid for itself - and that was a matter of 2 months.

The other benefits are cool too - knowing how good of a golfer you are (keep in mind that on average 10 rating points = 1 stroke), a magazine subscription, a disc when you join for the first time, a mini with your # on it...

I go by the rule of thumb - if you average 3-4 tournaments a year (1 every 3-4 months) it's definitely worth it.

im debating getting a membership. i probly will as soon as i get my game back from my hand issue. But the hotel savings probly wont be a deciding factor for me, as i work for a giant world wide hotel corporation and get crazy good discounts :)