• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA ratings are up. How'd you do?

I'm like 15,000 rated because the courses I play are so tough.

ratings are only accurate if you have 40 + rounds in a current year at at least 10 different courses.

And oh yeah....RATINGS DON'T WIN YOU ANYTHING.
You win interwebz good sir! :)

Pretty sure I didn't mention any facts. I don't care where you live, what matters is there are areas of the country that draw tourny players. Charlotte for one, and it has for years. Chris's original post seemed to imply that he wanted to play in large divisions. I am unsure if he would care about playing intermediate as long as there were 72 intermediates... his 1 "idea" was to get rid of divisions... Where you just say "Men" play against all men regardless. That is flawed.

Why would 880 rated Jim Smith want to play against 1040 rate Nikko. Its not about the division. Its about the experience that the tournaments themselves create. "Joes" dinky C-Tier isn't going to draw whether there is 1 or 50 divisions. Bowling Green will draw 180 players with all 3 Am Men divisions. High country throwdown and the Azalea in these neck of the woods fill in hours or minutes.

So in your area of Michigan it is the events that aren't drawing, not the division system. Apparently, the experience isn't worth the fee or cost. If your TD's got $5000 added cash, there wouldnt be 15 pros. HB doesn't need to have $10K added cash to have 650 ams sign up for Bowling Green...he runs a great tournament with great sponsors and people go for the experience. If you do half the work you will get half the turn out. The PDGA can do better growing the sport and guiding TD's to have better events, but if you want bigger fields "IN YOUR AREA." You have to do the marketing and promotion to get them out.
There are 4 men Am divisions, not 3, so why isn't novice being offered at this tourney?

I think the current structure is whack and Ams should be trophy only, like just about every other sport out there. That would take care of any sandbaggers, lots of bitching, and encourage players that want to win something of monetary value to move up to Pro. I'm not sure the best structure, although I really think any winnings should come from sponsors, not the players. In the meantime until sponsors get bigger, I really like the sliding scale entry system that Craigg uses for Pro only events, so you are at least handicapping risk vs reward.

:( It didn't count my most recent tournaments. I'm thinking It'll jump up to 920 because I'm a 903 player and two weekends ago I shot all above my rating including a 974 and a 964.

965 to a 981...but i did shoot two sub 900 rounds in a one dayer on saturday. we'll see how long she holds.

Since I have only played 1 tournament in my life (within the last month) I do not have a rating. It was a 2 round tournament. Is my rating just going to be my average of those rounds? (I know that is likely correct, just double checking).

got my first rating, 874. lots of room for improvement.

i get the feeling this is going to inspire me to play more sanctioned events

I think the PDGA membership renewals would suffer if you took away payout via plastic for AM players.

I think more parents would get their kids/families into tournaments if the entry fees weren't so jacked up with plastic. I know I'd play a lot more tourneys if they were cheaper and I could care less about what I win or don't win. I play for the love of the game and to compete mostly against myself to improve, just like I have in every other sport I've ever played. If you know anything about sports psychology, the best players don't need extrinsic motivation. I think the PDGA may be better off without those types of players that expect a plastic payout anyways. I also think the PDGA loses a lot of good players stuck in advanced because its the most expensive Am division. That makes it harder for the advanced player to improve, and might have the potential to be a decent pro player some day. This current structure doesn't help cultivate new pro level players, and makes it hard for some to justify going pro when they can win advanced and make a lot more money off the plastic, than barely cashing in pro. It just don't make sense as a good sports model for developing top level competition from the ground up.

I wish they would make everyone over 925 play Pro. Then we could have a real PDGA with more pros than INT at a tournament again.

do you really think 925 is a suitable rating for pro caliber play in a tournament? i sure don't. if anything, it might aggravate some of the top tier players who can consistently shoot around 1000+ rated rounds while traveling and playing for a living.

i would rather see disc golf continue to grow in the amateur divisions where people can gain experience and skill. the more people we get in the game, the more you'll see in the amateur divisions. that won't be a problem.

it's inevitable that as the sport grows we'll see more and more 1000+ rated players as well. that's when it will be fun to watch a big PDGA tourney. a whole lot of fun.

divisions are good.

Paul, the league ratings won't be official until the end of the 10 weeks. They will then be submitted for final results. So any of the ratings you see right now are just preliminary. They should make it in the next update.

And 925 yes.. I moved up to open when I was a 921. We would be very glad to have your added money in the division. Just think of everyone over 925 moved up? We would have fields of over 60+ pros every weekend, and somewhere between 35-30 would get paid out. You might only have to shoot 950 golf to cash?

Though I did not cash for 3 years once I moved up to open. I learned a lot more than I would have ever learned playing advanced, and my rating jumped almost 45 points in that time as well. The more you play with better players, the better you get.

And now at only a 970 rating, I have managed 5 PDGA pro wins in the last 5 years. 3 of them being B-tiers. And have had numerous rounds where I beat quite a few of the top 10 pros in the world.

Last edited:
I think more parents would get their kids/families into tournaments if the entry fees weren't so jacked up with plastic. I know I'd play a lot more tourneys if they were cheaper and I could care less about what I win or don't win. I play for the love of the game and to compete mostly against myself to improve, just like I have in every other sport I've ever played. If you know anything about sports psychology, the best players don't need extrinsic motivation. I think the PDGA may be better off without those types of players that expect a plastic payout anyways. I also think the PDGA loses a lot of good players stuck in advanced because its the most expensive Am division. That makes it harder for the advanced player to improve, and might have the potential to be a decent pro player some day. This current structure doesn't help cultivate new pro level players, and makes it hard for some to justify going pro when they can win advanced and make a lot more money off the plastic, than barely cashing in pro. It just don't make sense as a good sports model for developing top level competition from the ground up.

There is always the Trophy Only option at a reduced entry cost. Though most TD's don't seem to know anything about this.

And 925 yes.. I moved up to open when I was a 921. We would be very glad to have your added money in the division. Just think of everyone over 925 moved up? We would have fields of over 60+ pros every weekend, and somewhere between 35-30 would get paid out. You might only have to shoot 950 golf to cash?

Assuming, of course, that those 925s actually signed up, instead of cutting back on their tournament attendance. They're all free to play Open now. Some do, most don't.

TDs can run a tournament like this, either non-sanctioned or, pretty close, as a PDGA event without an Advanced division, so 935+ must play Open. Few dare to try.

Any move to "force" 925s to play Open, or even 950s, faces the issue that you can't force players to play at all, and that if PDGA events don't offer what the players want, non-sanctioned events likely will.