• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA registration worth it?

Pretty sure it's a light weight MVP Wave, with a black core and white rim. It may have changed for this year though.

They put out an RFP for new membership discs back in September. Presumably they're running out of the MVP discs, if they haven't run out already. Haven't seen word on what will replace them.

Just curious, why is a lower PDGA number considered better? :confused:

Its sort of an ego thing, but TDs often use the numbers in sorting the leader board between rounds (e.g., 6 players tied after the first round, the lower PDGA # get put on the higher card).

Just like Dave Sauls, I also just got me Legacy tag (20+ yrs of membership) even though I only play 1-2 tournaments/yr primarily to support our sport's organization (I also pay the Premium Membership for DGCR to support this discussion board).

Thank you. So I stand corrected; pretty much the only way to know your actual round rating(s) is to be a member.

Or you could look at the results for the rest of the field and see what the round ratings were for other players who had the same scores as you...

Sorry - couldn't resist.

Just joined as an amateur. I won't be traveling for tournaments, so I almost certainly won't make my money back. Here's hoping that local singles league gets off the ground :)

Or you could look at the results for the rest of the field and see what the round ratings were for other players who had the same scores as you...

Sorry - couldn't resist.

For sure, then you could track your estimated tournament results over time, average them out, dropping the appropriate out-liars, keep a log of your rating, year to year, heck you could even make a graph, calculate points based on your results and hypothetically earn a berth to Worlds. Seems like too much work to me.

They put out an RFP for new membership discs back in September. Presumably they're running out of the MVP discs, if they haven't run out already. Haven't seen word on what will replace them.

Maybe they can get some liquidated Salient discs. Too soon?

So MVP didn't renew? I wonder what happened, since they had the 2015 Inertia, and 2016 Wave.

So MVP didn't renew? I wonder what happened, since they had the 2015 Inertia, and 2016 Wave.

I don't think it's just a matter of renewal. The PDGA has to issue an RFP every time they make an order, and they generally go with the best offer. They also like to spread it around so as to not favor one company over another, so if the next disc isn't MVP, that could be the reason.

I don't think it's just a matter of renewal. The PDGA has to issue an RFP every time they make an order, and they generally go with the best offer. They also like to spread it around so as to not favor one company over another, so if the next disc isn't MVP, that could be the reason.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Sorry - couldn't resist.
fair nuff

As for the OP's question...no, life is a joyless hellscape and joining won't help that. :\

This.

But seriosly do it. 10 bucks off each tourney and if you do like 2 or 3....and doing 4 is not hard. 2 in summer, 1 in sprung and fall.

Rating are fun.

And the magazine is solid. Good photos and a nice set of reads.

To me that doesn't seem like a good ratio.

To know for sure, you'd have to look at ratios for other similar membership groups. I mean, what is considered a "good" ratio for total historical membership versus current active membership?

What we do have to look at is our own history. At the end of 1999, there were ~5600 current members out of almost 16000 total members. In 2006, there were ~11000 current members out of around 31500 total members. So over the course of the last 17 years, the ratio of current to total seems fairly steady at around 1/3. And membership overall is growing. For every lapsed member, we're gaining more than one new member. That seems positive to me.

The ratio is never going to be 100%. Members die, get sick, injured, enfeebled, busy, lose jobs, get new jobs, move, or quit playing for thousands of other reasons that may have have nothing to do with the PDGA at all. I think we have to assume there's always going to be a certain percentage of "dead" memberships from the moment they're purchased. A good example would be memberships for people who never actually get into the game that seriously (or at all), such as memberships bought for children before they ever pick up a disc or those who do it out of support for their significant other.

Could we be growing faster and retaining members for longer? Sure. But I don't think there's anything wrong with the rate at which the organization is growing, nor is there anything wrong with the ratio of current to total membership.

Not to mention how many people wander from one recreation to another, over time. There are a lot of things I've been enthralled with, and spent money on, that I no longer do. So someone drifts from A to B to C (disc golf) to D to E, each a few years; it's not disc golf's, or the PDGA's, fault that they didn't continue their membership forever.

Retention ratio isn't the number that matters---particularly when almost every other number (active memberships, courses, events, etc.) continues to grow very well.

Exactly.
The American Bowling Congress must be dead. I'm no longer a member despite once having a league average up to 195 (shifted my focus to disc golf). ;)

Latest posts