• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA rules on Groupings at Tournaments

True, but am I missing something? Didn't the one-round-per-day, no more than two courses for MPO come about at the behest of the MPO players??? Does their opinion not matter anymore?

As far as I know, there was NEVER a survey given to touring pros asking their opinion. This has been a PDGA talking point for a while but I've talked to many touring pros who have never been asked about this. Many touring pros were frustrated at the 4 round worlds last year, which is why we have 5 rounds this year. I think it would be prudent for the PDGA to actually survey the touring pros to see what they want out of the tour.

As far as I know, there was NEVER a survey given to touring pros asking their opinion. This has been a PDGA talking point for a while but I've talked to many touring pros who have never been asked about this. Many touring pros were frustrated at the 4 round worlds last year, which is why we have 5 rounds this year. I think it would be prudent for the PDGA to actually survey the touring pros to see what they want out of the tour.

Precisely why I asked if I was missing something...

Precisely why I asked if I was missing something...

My comment was for the PDGA employees/contractors who visit these forums and hang their hats on this claim. I see the claim made so much but I've never seen any support for it. Maybe I'm the one missing something!

I feel like the times I played USADGC, we were grouped by PDGA number. Me and this other local guy were always playing together day 1.

They probably asked a group of like 5 Masters guys.

The fewer courses per tournament thing absolutely came from the pros, the touring players specifically. Many of them have long expressed how they prefer to come into town and not have to learn/practice a bunch of courses.

Then there's the push to have MPO and FPO playing more challenging and skill appropriate courses. Challenging courses take more time to play, making it difficult to get two rounds in per day, especially if there's travel involved between courses.

Fewer courses and harder courses mean smaller player capacity unless tee times are used.

I think all of those factors lead to the four or five round Worlds and the now typical DGPT/NT format of 3-4 rounds of tee times over 3-4 days. There didn't really need to be a vote, it was just the inevitable result of the convergence of a few different trends.

My comment was for the PDGA employees/contractors who visit these forums and hang their hats on this claim. I see the claim made so much but I've never seen any support for it. Maybe I'm the one missing something!
Nate Doss pushed for it at a PDGA Summit meeting as a quasi spokesperson for the touring pros. Jay Reading, head of Competition Committee and Mike Downes, head of Majors Committee agreed to try that direction. Brian Graham wasn't against it.

And of course, the recent history was McBeth winning four straight World titles. IIRC he was not in first place after four rounds in (at least) three of those.

Nate Doss pushed for it at a PDGA Summit meeting as a quasi spokesperson for the touring pros. Jay Reading, head of Competition Committee and Mike Downes, head of Majors Committee agreed to try that direction. Brian Graham wasn't against it.

Thank you for the history!