• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Tournament Option

en·ti·tle·ment
enˈtītlmənt/
noun
noun: entitlement; plural noun: entitlements

the fact of having a right to something.
"full entitlement to fees and maintenance should be offered"
synonyms: right, prerogative, claim; More
permission, dispensation, privilege
"their entitlement to benefits"
the amount to which a person has a right.
"annual leave entitlement"
synonyms: right, prerogative, claim;

I don't see where is says anything about getting free stuff.

Entitlement - just noticed certain individuals that are using this word, yet don't donate to this site (no crownie thingie next to their name).

Interesting.

Seems entitled to use a service but don't want to pay for it.

This site has advertising and that's how they support themselves. There is also television over the air that you don't pay for either or basic terrestrial radio stations.

And yes there are a lot of disc golfers that feel entitled to get their entry fee back in a players pack AND some sort of payout. Not all disc golfers but there are a lot of them out there.

And for the OP, you can always go down to your local course and play for free anytime.

I mentioned the idea of a no disc player pack to my vendor and instead offer everyone a voucher. I figured he'd be down with that since instead of paying Innova $1000 for stamped tourney disc, we'd buy the voucher from him and he'd make even more money.

He said NO WAY! Most love the player pack. Just a vocal minority here. We averaged 94 players in 15 events this year... and it was because of 2 things:

1) Great Player Pack
2) Great payout

If you have these 2 simple things, the folks will come in droves to play in your tournaments. Recreational division winner in tournament I ran nabbed $161 voucher. You better believe we'll have to step up to B-Tier and two courses so we don't turn as many away next year.

We actually do this for a lot of the tournies we run and some that we vend.

We give out a $15 voucher to players as their players packs and let them choose what they want, ans they love it becuase they dont get stuck with soe crap gateway mid in a base plastic that will never get used. But while this is good it can also be bad. There is a certain TD that we will vend some of its events and a $12 voucher that can only be spent with the TD's company. We got no issue with him doing that if it was a $15 voucher but Its dont like this on purpose becuase $12 isnt enough to buy a decent plastic disc with so what he does is pretty much taking all the payout and getting it spent with its company.

One size does not always fit all.

Having options, even gear them towards benefitting the TD - I don't really care - will increase the turnout for the tournie. My life choices limit me to about 1 tournie every 6 weeks. If I had more payment options, I would play more often than that - and those payments would mean more money, not less, to the TD. I'm happy, TD is happy.

One size does not always fit all.

So just let me clarify, you want a TD to adjust everything he has to do to prep for a tournament just to fit your needs and you don't think there's something wrong with that???

Yep.

Entitlement is more than just the DG tournie. It is getting something for nothing.

You are getting the use of this website for nothing.

Pay up - buy a membership.

No entitlement is the feeling or belief that you deserve to be given something.

That is most certainly not the case and you are trying to use this attack angle to deflect from the conversation and topic at hand.

Also if you guys dont like the payout and pplayers packs then just move to open where all you have to do is pay and play, and if you play well you win money

A lot of DD tournies have advertising as well.

I just think it is interesting when one individual points a finger to someone else and says "whatever you want to put in here, let's use the word entitled", yet when another person shows that they individual that is doing the calling out has a bit of that in themselves, then things get ugly.

All of us feel entitled to something to a degree.

Yep.

Entitlement is more than just the DG tournie. It is getting something for nothing.

You are getting the use of this website for nothing.

Pay up - buy a membership.

Do you pay for facebook, youtube, google, the chive?

If I'm not mistaken, aren't the point of PP's to get people into tournaments that might otherwise not enter a tournament?

Is the current system really broken, or are we just having a hard time finding things to talk about on a Friday?

Or is it that a significant segment of DG'ers don't want to get a real job, which would make it much easier to swallow the price of tournament entry fees?

If I'm not mistaken, aren't the point of PP's to get people into tournaments that might otherwise not enter a tournament?

Pretty much. That and there are a lot of players that know they cannot win but they still want to play, so getting a players pack to them is there way of winning.

I just think it is interesting when one individual points a finger to someone else and says "whatever you want to put in here, let's use the word entitled", yet when another person shows that they individual that is doing the calling out has a bit of that in themselves, then things get ugly.

You are presenting a false argument as the only means to attack the ideas I am presenting.

In fact, if you read back you will see where I said I was wrong about your post. But keep on pointing out how I am an entitled jerk for using this website for free, while also trying to get TDs to adjust their price structure to suit your preferences.

It just is a false argument that someone can post an opinion because they don't pay to support this website. This is a free website that is funded by advertising...the support option is there if you feel inclined to do more.

Tournaments have entry fees or you can't participate. The sponsorship are there as extras to add to the experience and payout.

Do you really not understand the difference between the two?

Is the current system really broken, or are we just having a hard time finding things to talk about on a Friday?

Ding ding ding...we have a winner :clap:

Slow Friday needed a little insane argument to get it started.

Pretty much. That and there are a lot of players that know they cannot win but they still want to play, so getting a players pack to them is there way of winning.

PPs are basically participation trophies.

Presenting ideas...

Apparently they were bad ones.

BTW regarding work - The longest unemployment streak I've had in the 27 years (since I was 16) was three months. I was fired for breaking up a fight at work between two individuals. One of whom was a minority. They filed a complaint. As a supervisor, I was let go to avoid litigation.

The other employment streak was 5 weeks - by my choice - because I moved and was setting up a non-profit entity.

Married, children, mortgage, 2 car payments, other hobbies like homebrewing = life choices = don't want to / afford to play a $40 tournament every weekend.

Enough time wasted - I'm going back to work.

Presenting ideas...

Apparently they were bad ones.

BTW regarding work - The longest unemployment streak I've had in the 27 years (since I was 16) was three months. I was fired for breaking up a fight at work between two individuals. One of whom was a minority. They filed a complaint. As a supervisor, I was let go to avoid litigation.

The other employment streak was 5 weeks - by my choice - because I moved and was setting up a non-profit entity.

Married, children, mortgage, 2 car payments, other hobbies like homebrewing = life choices = don't want to / afford to play a $40 tournament every weekend.

Enough time wasted - I'm going back to work.

Do you want us to feel bad for you or something

I like the thought, but as other's say it isn't practical.

I also feel the motivation behind the post. I am newer to DG and every time I ask folks if they want to play, they say 'join the league'. My local league is nuffin' but a gambling group and I do not want to gamble/ waste money (as I said, I am new so there will always be someone better than me).

It is frustrating to have to pay to play with folks...

However, there is a huge difference between putting together a PDGA sanctioned event (and all it entails) and putting on a weekly local league at the park.

If I were let go because two other people got in a fight at work and I tried to break it up, I would sue the begeezus out of that company, minorities involved or not.

Me wonders if there ain't another side to that story.