• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Picking up dome DisCraft Discs

Ace Race disc from 2008.
Overstable mid range.
PDGA approved and called the Nebula, but no plans for regular production.
I think it's the only Ace Race disc so far that didn't go into production.

Neither did the Slipstream

Quick rather off topic question: What is the Nebula? I know it's a oop Discraft disc, but nothing other than that.

Yeah, Disc Junkie laid down the specs.

Flightwise, it's a smaller diameter Buzzz with a slightly pointier rim/wing. Stability fits b/w a Buzzz and a Wasp. If you did a stability chart for DC mids it would be: Drone>Hornet>Wasp>Nebula>Buzzz, etc.

It's a great mid b/c it doesn't really beat into flippy, it's like a midrange version of an Eagle-X. It just s-curves really nicely when it's beat to hell. It's not the glidiest disc but that makes it really easy to range and it pairs with a Fuse oh so beautifully as a power/finesse combo. 'Tis a shame DC abandoned it, something to the effect that they were getting dimples in the rim with the mold which is odd b/c the ESP they molded them in is bulletproof.

I couldn't play without:
Drivers:
Stalker
Avenger SS
Mid:
At least 1 Buzzz
Putter:
FLX Challenger

Edit: I prefer Elite Z Plastic for all of these except the Challenger

Last edited:
The XD is such a weird mold that it doesn't really compare to anything. Flightwise it's most similar to an APX but they look nothing alike, unless you heated up the APX's flight plate until it sunk in the middle and produced a thumbtrack (all of which is pretty illegal I think).

I would suggest...

Z Flick...good for OH, and I usually use it for my BHRH shots
Elite X Buzzz - I like the way this material feels the best, and I love the Buzzz. Might be my favorite disc.
Magnet - This is my main putter.

So there you go!

for what you are really looking for you should try the Avenger, Predator, Nuke and Buzzz.

Valk ~ A-SS
Wraith ~ Surge or S-SS
SF ~ Avenger
Scorpion ~ Marauder (OoP) or Cyclone
Stingray ~ Stratus
XD ~ APX??
Aviar ~ Challenger (but I don't think you want to replace your putter).

This, but with a Meteor instead of a Stratus.

You also don't want to miss out on the Stalker or the Buzzz. Two of the best discs in the game IMHO (If you look closely you can see a stalker behind the Buzzz in my avatar.

My 2 cents worth:

That should read Some Discraft Discs.

Here's what's in my bag now...

168 Star Katana Nuke is a more overstable wide rim flyer than a Katana but much easier to throw than a Boss.
172 Star Valk I think the Flash is very similar to the Valk, but if you like a more understable version of the Flash, the Avenger SS is a great choice.

172 Star Wraith Some people really like the Surge relative to the Wraith, but the Avenger is a slightly slower speed comparision.

173 Star Starfire The Predator. I like the FLX plastic because it comes in handy on tree courses because when it hits it will fall and not bounce as wildly into the woods.

I would suggest the Wildcat as a fairway driver. The Wasp and the new Hornet are good overstable comparisions to the Viper.
153 DX Viper
172 DX Scorpion (s)
172 DX Eagle
144 DX Stingray

I really suggest you try the Buzzz for a mid. I really like the FLX plastic because it usually lands and does not skip away from the basket near as bad as the other plastics for approach shots.

170 Star Mako
180 Star Mako
170 DX XD

171 'Hands On' Avair Putter

Looking for the Discraft equivalent to what I carry now. Mostly interested in replacements for my Star Katana, Star Mako, and Viper and Eagle.
== I think the Buzzz SS is a good replacement for a Mako. The Mako feels like a big putter to me and the Buzzz SS is a straight flyer with not as deep a rim.

My favorite Discraft are the Buzzz FLX, Reaper (OOP), Nuke, Avenger SS, Buzzz SS, Flash, Predator FLX, Wasp, Hornet, Wildcat, and Spectra. The Spectra really flies well. The Drone is also a really overstable mid that can be a good get out of trouble disc.

Looking for the Discraft equivalent to what I carry now. Mostly interested in replacements for my Star Katana, Star Mako, and Viper and Eagle.

ESP Nuke will be closest to the Star Katana
ESP FLX Buzzz will make you forget your Star Mako
Hornet will do everything the Viper did
Z Stalker will fly like a beat in Eagle the day you get it.

Last edited:
I never threw discraft until I tried some out in a misprint package. Since then my bag has gone from strictly innova to a mixed bag. IMO best discraft are in this order

Buzzz
Stalker
Wasp
Comet or meteor
Nuke
Flick. Fh beast.

Others
surge is Wraith like
Don't really throw their putter but had a fox challenger that was nice

Good luck some great disc companies out there.

not for me thats for sure.... **** turns left so damn fast dont think I throw fast enough gotta stick with Stalker or Valk on most throws

The XD is such a weird mold that it doesn't really compare to anything. Flightwise it's most similar to an APX but they look nothing alike, unless you heated up the APX's flight plate until it sunk in the middle and produced a thumbtrack (all of which is pretty illegal I think).

XD's don't have a thumbtrac

The longest throws I make are with a X Wildcat. I can get them out to about 350-360 feet.

The Avenger SS (the Avenger too) and the Flash are easy to throw far and accurate.

I don't have a big arm, but I find I can get more controlled distance with Discraft's drivers than with Innova's. (I use Innova's fairway drivers though).

The Surge (and the Surge SS), Force and Nuke are just too much for my noodle arm. Although I can throw the Surge for distance, I can't get it out there with the control I get from the Flash, for instance. There's a line for everyone. You'll need to find yours.

By the way, the Predator is a really nice overstable driver. (similar to a Firebird).

if you like star makos, you'll def love the buzzz in ESP, maybe Z
esp or X cyclones to replace the eagles

the XD is irreplaceable.

Latest posts