• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Plainfield Township, MI Grand Isle Park

Jkoz

In July of 2011 plainfield township purchased a former ball golf course on the banks of the grand river. The property is over fifty acres. I went to the township to work on the proposal process for a course and was looking for maps.

The map presented to me by the development authority covers the property and as i was looking at the map there is already a plan to develop an 18 Hole Disc Golf Course.

I spoke to John the P/R Director and he has confirmed that he is going to put a course in hopefully starting this fall. It was the P/R directors idea to establish the course.

Currently the park is being restored in areas to the natural wetlands that once were there. The course will play around the wetland areas. The layout presented is draft and not a final plan. The intention is to have the course accessible to those with disabilities. I am going to look at the property again on sunday and take some pics to post.

This may happen very soon. I am going to keep in contact with John and see what needs to be done in terms of support.

I will keep you posted upon any new info i receive

Attachments

• img051.jpg
    img051.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 70
can I be the first to say STOKED!!!!

this is FIVE MINUTES from my house..

PLEASE let me know what help you need!

ScruffySecond.jpg

FTFY robot! :hfive: I'm giddy!

some goose sh!t infested home for the homeless... with a home for veterans across the road of course :D

Are there any Updates on this? I would like to help and work on this.

Would like updates if you have some. I send you a PM and would be willing to help.

Hmm, can't find anything about this. Let me know if help is needed.

Unfortunately the plan for the course is taking its time. I spoke to the parks depts head at beginning of April or so and he is waiting for approval from the state to do his wetland expansion on the property. The recent flooding did not help either. The entire park was under water and parts of it are still flooded. So at this point it is a waiting game to get the wetland expansion finished before work on the course can begin.

Any Updates? I have PM'd you to help many times with no reply.

It appears like it should be done this year

:confused:
Well, it looks like another year shall pass before Grand Isle is a reality.
This is not a statement based upon any inside knowledge, but my opinion based upon the fact that we are not playing DG at a new course in GR.:(
Why, oh why, is this taking so long?

driving out there, I really am not seeing where a course would go...
am I looking in the wrong place?
off hyzer museum?

To the best of my knowledge it's on West River Drive, west of Jupiter Ave. There is a sign on West River that says "Grand Isle." I've driven back in there a few times. The last time I saw earthmovers & what not in the area I assume is supposed to be the soccer fields. To the southwest of the entrance is what I'm assuming will be the DG course.

To the best of my knowledge it's on West River Drive, west of Jupiter Ave. There is a sign on West River that says "Grand Isle." I've driven back in there a few times. The last time I saw earthmovers & what not in the area I assume is supposed to be the soccer fields. To the southwest of the entrance is what I'm assuming will be the DG course.

I know where it is.
it just seems like the area you're describing is a big flat emptiness.

I know where it is.
it just seems like the area you're describing is a big flat emptiness.

You're looking in the wrong place! ;)

You have to keep driving ALL the way back, even past the sign that says not to enter (referring to the mining area). There is a two track that goes back to the river, and once out there you'll see a couple more park signs on the right. I drive back every couple of weeks, and I can tell you there has been progress. It is now mowed and it looks like they are continuing the wetland expansion. The area crudely outlined in red is where the course is going, along with a proposed layout that is years old. There is also this, which is exciting.

That's the area I described.

Nice article. Thanks for the update. Can't wait!

Please post more (or ask the ones responsible to do so) especially if looking for helping hands. I strained my back at Spinski's helping with cement teepads, I'm very willing to do so for a course closer to home.

Update

Plainfield Township included a newsletter with my winter tax bill. Below is an update from the "Happenings in Township's Parks" section.

GRAND ISLE PARK (West River Drive): The wetland expansion is complete. Some trail work is in progress and the 18-hole disc golf course is being designed and constructed.

This is really making me excited. Finally course that is worth playing at that is closer than smash or fallasburg!!!

Latest posts