• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Plainfield Township, MI Grand Isle Park

I wanted to provide an update for those interested. The quoted section below is from Jkoz and was originally posted on 4/7/15 in the Michigan New Course Update thread. A new update can be seen below that.

"Exciting news for Grand isle park in Plainfield two.(Grand Rapids). The baskets are in the process of being ordered. Depending upon the amount of rain we get this spring we will have the course set up around June.
It will be a full 18, with a couple par 4 holes. At present it will be only disc golf in the park. The twp. Has plans to add to the park amenities but there is no plan for development at present. The course will be in parts of the park not affected by other activities, except the potential extension of the white pine trail along the rivers edge.

The funding for the course is possible from a donation from the Rotary club in full for the entire cost. Big shout out to them for making this possible.

The park is along the grand river and it has a tendency to flood. So let's all pray for light rains. It is a mostly open park with little elevation. However there are some ponds that will come in to play.

The course designer is Mike Durco.
The course will have new prodigy baskets.
The course will be another nice addition to the north side of Grand Rapids.

Hope this info finds you well this spring!"

Approval for purchasing the baskets is up for review with the township tonight, 5/18. The memo, which can be found here, appears to show that the course will use Arroyo baskets. Delivery is quoted at 4-6 weeks, so its looking like a possible July opening date?

According to the Parks and Rec. 2015-2020 Master Plan, the plan for Grand Isle Park over the next 3 years is to finish the disc golf course, construct soccer fields, trails, fishing access, and a restroom building. The total estimated cost is $1,400,000.

Yes the plan has changed to do the arroyo vortex baskets. Prodigy was out of stock on their baskets. The hope remains to get the anchors ahead of time to be able to work and set up so once the baskets are available it's just plug and play.

There is not a lot of work that the property needs to prepare for the course, besides draining well and getting tees and baskets ready.

I am just one of many people that have been involved in this long and slowprocess. The course is going to happen. I wish it was last year or the year before that even but I am thankful that it is going to happen.

I don't post a lot because frankly there is not a lot to say. I've been working on this for 4 years. Hypotheticals and potentials seem pointless.

There are no work dates set yet. Once work dates become available I will make a post.

The best way to reach me is
[email protected]

A course page has been created on discgolfscene and info will surely be shared there as well.