• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Players that have maintained a 1000+ rating since the rating system started 1998

We had an A-tier in town this year, the Michigan Hall of Fame Classic. I got to see Al Schack again for the first time in a long time, maybe like 15 years. He obviously isn't going to tear the course apart like he did a quarter century ago. It's gotta feel different for him playing today. I did tell him, "All is right in the world again when you're beating me from the same tees in a tournament," and got a smile. In my highest-ever rated round back in 2005, open players shot from the same tees as we did in Am-1 on a 24-hole layout (Oxbow Park in Indiana). He still beat me by 11 strokes. Nearly a half stroke per hole. His round rating was Climo-esque in the 1040's!

Al, for example, was the runner-up to you-know-who at the first two USDGC's. And I believe those took place sometime after his real prime. (The same could be said for you-know-who :)

I guess that could depend on where one came from. For the immortals I'll bet it feels less than good to be any strokes worse than when they were tearing it up as a pro in a younger body. There are some who made to where their potential could take them back in their younger days and 20 years will for sure diminish that ceiling.

In my case I wasn't great in my physical prime, which was before the advent of YouTube and the relatively easier time one has to seek improvement these days (not to mention when speed 6 and 7 with only base plastic on Mach 3's was what we had). I'm able to shoot similarly rated rounds by cleaning up my short game, which I didn't have as a youngster. I've lost 100' on the forehands I had back then but everything else is way better. It's funny how I had a certain rating with just that one skill, and nearly the same rating as an old relatively broken down body by just the opposite skillset. I'm all about 200' on in when it comes to earning my strokes now. Short layouts in MA-40 for the win, baby!

...but back to the immortals...It will be very interesting to see if Scott Stokely can hang with the young bucks next year. I'm rooting for him big time!

I've been known to say that my biggest opponent on the course, is the ghost of my former self.

I'm suspect the elite players feel the same. Even those who, having fallen, are still higher than I ever was at my peak. (I've also been known to say, "I'm not surprised to be over the hill; I'm just surprised at how low the hill was.")

Similar to you, my rating my be where it was long ago, but I get to it with different skills -- much less distance, but better short game.

Yep, much less distance, much much better putting in my case = still about 920. I do well when I'm knocking down 30-footers all day long.

It amazes me, again, how these longtime immortals are still able to shoot so well at our age. Locally I've got Larry LaBond to watch. He can still mash drives no problem at 50 years old. He's out there shooting in the low 50's no problem on the longs at Robert Morris Park and I haven't broken 60 as an old guy yet. The course is tougher than it was 20 years ago to boot! I watched him nail a practice ace on #18 there last year with a Buzzz. I can't reach it with any driver in my bag even though it's downhill.

I guess when you were on lead card at worlds with Climo you're still going to be pretty damned good when you're 50. He is!

Latest posts