• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playin' in the Rain.

First few posts pretty much nailed all the right things. I'll just reinforce the thought of extra clothing, particularly socks and shoes and a shirt... just leave them in your car and change into them between rounds if you need to. I hate playing with wet feet.

If you bring an umbrella don't make it a small one. Bring a big one that will cover your bag well when you set it all down. If it's big enough you can work under it while it is down there to take score or dry your discs and hands. I just did this all day Sunday.

Climbers chalk or Birdie Bag to get the hands free of all moisture. Besides that, everything else that has been mentioned on here is spot on.

Yep. Everybody on here is right on. I personally use a pitchers's rosin bag vs the birdie bag (theyre about $2 at your local sporting goods store)..

Also I recommend bringing a old trashed towel to throw off of if the tees are particularly muddy or slippery. You can lay it out across the tee pad, throw from a stand still and pick it up after your throw. Your call if you want to share it with your card, but a little extra advantage never hurt :cool:

Personally, I fabricate a family emergency and bail out.

Ha! Great advice and the only thing guaranteed to keep you 100% warm and dry.

But, sometimes you just want to man up. In addition to what others have said, I use chamois towels and scale down my disc selection to a few in soft rubbery or Pro plastic. Even if it is actively raining I can dry these enough - they're damp, not dry - with the chamois to still get grip I can trust.

If you wear glasses (I do), you gotta have the hat with a brim, and enough dry towels to keep them relatively free of water drops. Even harder than throwing wet discs is scoring when you can't see the basket.

Good luck!

Small umbrella? Bring the biggest one you can find anywhere in town!

And neoprene socks really work wonders.

Lots of great advice here so far. Only thing I want to add pertains to the forecasted temperatures. The wet isn't going to be as much of a problem as the cold in combination with it. That alone is good reason to do whatever you can to stay dry for as long as possible. You want a waterproof shell at the very least (rain jacket or poncho, waterproof pants, waterproof socks and/or shoes). It might not be the most comfortable or fashionable, but at least you're not soaked through and shivering by the 12th hole. If you don't have true waterproof things, applying scotchgard or other silicone spray to a jacket or pants you already have could do the trick. You can find the stuff anywhere that sells camping supplies.

The other advice I would offer is to remember that everyone else is playing in the rain too. No one is going to be shooting their "normal" game and scores are going to be higher than typical all around. Even more than usual, the idea of dialing back and playing safe is going to be the way to go.

I usually just play wet, instead of trying to keep dry so that I can get a consistant feel on the disc. But since the weather is going to be the same for me this weekend I will be doing an umbrella and hand warmers. Thin layers and possibly gloves.

Always thought putting a towel down on the tee should be made illegal.

Yea I thinks its really debateable since it would be considered "Building a Lie" but you could also say that it is an unsafe surface and to make it safe you put down a towel.

Small umbrella? Bring the biggest one you can find anywhere in town!

And neoprene socks really work wonders.

I'm not an umbrella-carrier but, yeah, if you're carrying one, make it huge. You can set it on the ground to make a little tent, under which you can manage your bag, scorecard, etc.

Here is my rainy tournament list:
1 - Big umbrella: gives you dry space to set your bag while throwing and while drying discs.

2 - Extra towels: I usually go through 3 in a wet round wiping off a disc after every throw.

3 - Birdie Bag: use it when a power throw is needed, you don't want the disc to slip out early when you are gunning for 350'+

4 - Waterproof shoes: if you don't have any, at least get some spray-on waterproofer.

5 - Change of clothes and shoes: the thought of being dry and warm on the ride home always improves your outlook for the entire day.

6 - Patience: Throw, wipe, repeat. Take the time to completely dry each disc before returning it to the bag. That way you always have dry discs.

7 - A plan: Plan for all of the above, and don't set ouot to break any records. Aim for a solid round, nothing fancy but also mistake free.

Latest posts