• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playin' in the Rain.

the only thing i can add is a flask of whisky for the false sense of warmth (and aiming juice).

The posts above hits the nail on the head. Here are my strategies, which basically revolve around doing everything you can to keep your bag and discs dry so you always have a dry disc to pull out and throw while your competitors are having release issues on their wet discs.

Bring a big umbrella, but remember it's for your discs not you. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to keep your bag covered the entire day.

Wear a waterproof jacket that doesn't restricted your throw too much plus whatever else you need to keep you dry/comfortable. Hand warmers can be a big part of that. This way you can leave your umbrella over your bag and comfortably walk around to find your disc, check your lie, check out a line, etc. while you leave your umbrella over the bag and it stays dry.

Have lots of dry towels. Put extra in the car so you can restock between rounds, when the course plays back by the car, or whenever it's practical. I usually use one at a time. One is the first towel that wipes the disc. It gets the bulk of the water off plus mud, grass, etc. The 2nd towel gets the excess moisture that the first towel was too wet to soak up and leaves the disc very dry,

Always make sure a disc is dry before putting it back in your bag. If you do this consistently and have your bag covered there's no reason you shouldn't be able to pull out a dry disc for every shot. But once you put in a wet disc the other discs get wet, the sides of the bag get wet, and then your stuck dealing with wet discs and trying to dry off whatever you can right before a throw.

Additionally if you can either scotch guard your bag or get a rainfly then you should really be able to keep your discs practically bone dry.

Other than that, focus on throwing control shots. Between wet footing and moisture on your hands, full power shots can go bad quick. Like other above have stated, everyone is going to make mistakes in the rain. If you can just play safe and minimize/avoid those mistakes then you have a big leg up on the field.

Is there a rule requiring me to use the one I'm given?

The rules are not 100% specific to this, but I think it can be inferred that the scorecards you pick up are the ones that must be turned in (if they are not outright lost).

http://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/805-tournament-procedures/80502-scoring

And as such I would also say the rules say the score should be kept on the scorecards supplied.

But I cannot for the life of me see any TD make an issue over you using another solution between picking up and turning in. Especially if it is done to keep the integrity(both in physical and content terms) of the supplied scorecard intact.

The rules are not 100% specific to this, but I think it can be inferred that the scorecards you pick up are the ones that must be turned in (if they are not outright lost).

http://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/805-tournament-procedures/80502-scoring

And as such I would also say the rules say the score should be kept on the scorecards supplied.

Rule only requires first person listed to pick up the group's scorecard(s) and the scorecard to be signed and turned in at the end of the round, it doesn't require the group to use the scorecard(s) during the round.

When asked once if he had a problem playing in the rain, Vijay Singh answered "only if I'm the only one it's raining on."

Whoever above said not to forget everyone's playing in the same rain is right. The worst things happen to me playing in the rain when I try to do too much.

I normally use a Caddy seat for tournaments, but if its raining I will take off the caddy seat and use a stool for my bag. I also prefer wearing shorts in the rain, it seems easier to dry-off my legs than drying off a wet pair of pants.

I also prefer wearing shorts in the rain, it seems easier to dry-off my legs than drying off a wet pair of pants.

I do that here in southern California for sure. It didn't work so well when it was 38 degrees and pouring rain in Chicago. :p

For thise to lazy to click the link - placing a towel on the lie is legal according to the rules (unless it's one helluva thick towel):

801.03 Artificial Devices
During a round, a player shall not use any artificial device that may directly assist in making a throw, except those devices that reduce or control abrasion to the skin (such as gloves, tape, bandages, or gauze) and medical items (such as knee or ankle braces). Placing an object as a directional aid is not allowed. An item such as a towel or a pad may be placed on the lie as long as it is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed.

A device that is questioned by another player or an official is illegal unless it is subsequently approved by the Director.

A player shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if observed at any time during a round to be using an illegal artificial device. A player who repeatedly uses an illegal device may be subject to disqualification in accordance with Section 3.3 of the PDGA Competition Manual.

Whether people think it should be illegal is entirely something else. But why should it be? Yes, it provides an edge, but doesn't everything we're talking about in terms of being prepared give you an edge? Just because you have the forethought to find a way to make a slippery stance better when others don't, it should be deemed illegal? What if I wanted to to wear cleats?

For thise to lazy to click the link - placing a towel on the lie is legal according to the rules (unless it's one helluva thick towel):

Whether people think it should be illegal is entirely something else. But why should it be? Yes, it provides an edge, but doesn't everything we're talking about in terms of being prepared give you an edge? Just because you have the forethought to find a way to make a slippery stance better when others don't, it should be deemed illegal? What if I wanted to to wear cleats?

Exactly. I heard of Feldberg or Reading (I Think...) doing this at the BRyan McClain open a few years back during a particularly sloppy first round. I figure, if the pros do it, why not us lowly am players?

Right on. Here's the bottom line...how is whatever edge it might provide unfair in any way if ANY PLAYER CAN DO IT?

I've always maintained that knowing the rules well and being able to correctly apply rules which can give you an edge on the course is a skill as important as being able to throw a variety of different shots (backhand, forehand, overhand, etc). If you're not doing something allowed by rule out of either ignorance of the rule or some macho "I don't need any help" attitude, you're only hurting yourself.

I keep a gnarly old towel in the bottom of my bag just for using in situations where footing is a problem. I also offer its use to anyone in the group that wants it. I figure why dirty and mess up multiple towels when mine's already dirty and a bit torn in spots? Seems like when people turn me down and throw without any towel, they inevitably slip and wish they'd used it.

Last edited:
Exactly. I heard of Feldberg or Reading (I Think...) doing this at the BRyan McClain open a few years back during a particularly sloppy first round. I figure, if the pros do it, why not us lowly am players?

I've seen Rico do it a lot in vids.

I think the 'spirit' of the building the lie rule is, like, you can't move a big rock over to stand on to be able to putt over a bush, or say keep your feet dry in a casual creek, etc.

Bring a Coleman stove and coffepot & pot for after the rounds: Heat soup/hot water and make coffee, and your playing partner just might marry you to keep you for himself. Or you might do an instaboom business selling coffee to the recently soaked and frozen.

Bring a Coleman stove and coffepot & pot for after the rounds: Heat soup/hot water and make coffee, and your playing partner just might marry you to keep you for himself. Or you might do an instaboom business selling coffee to the recently soaked and frozen.

That will make you a big hit too, most places.:|