• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playin' in the Rain.

I do this a little differently. Instead of fighting wetness I embrace the inevitable and modify my throw. Instead of dealing with different levels of wet grip I just let the the discs stay wet and I know what to expect out of them. Not as much D but my rain game is much more consistent since I surrendered to Mother Nature.

A good tip for keeping your feet dry is to put plastic grocery bags on over your socks. It sounds weird, but its really effective.

One thing everyone has forgotten is your disc selection.

In the rain, I use DX plastic more because the plastic is less slick when it gets wet.

I'll second a lot of what's already here especially embracing the rain. If its not gonna be cold rain wear some Merrel's or something else that doesnt matter if they get soaked. I personally play in chaco's because a lot of time I've spent throwing in my backyard and even a lot of times I play on the course I wear my chacos. So my feet are wet, wearing chaco's i dont worry about it and dont have 50 lb waterlogged boots slowing me down and messing up my throw. I put a bathing suit on and just try and forget the rain's there. I do keep my discs dry and wipe my hands off a lot so having a plethora of dry hand towels for your disc and your hands is a must. I always felt like the only plastic that didnt soak up water is champion plastic but that could just all be in my head. I know its slick when wet but once i wipe the disc and my hand with a dry towel i dont have any problem with grip.
I'd like to think that most of the problems while playing in rain are in your head. Then again I live in what's almost considered a rainforest so I play recreationally in the rain half the time anyways so i guess i'm used to it.

In the rain, I use DX plastic more because the plastic is less slick when it gets wet.

Great point, the base plastic discs seem to get a lot less slick in the rain. DX is the best, pro and star are ok, and champ gets really slippery and hard to get a solid grip on for me.

R-pro putters/mids have amazing grip when soaking wet.

So far what everyone has said is perfect.

Good rain jacket.
towels
umbrella
dry feet and hands.

.......Most importantly, do everything to keep your hands dry!!!

And, I'll add... even more important to keep your index finder dry. Once your fingers start looking like prunes, especially the index, you can forget about putting well.
DSCJNKY

And, I'll add... even more important to keep your index finder dry. Once your fingers start looking like prunes, especially the index, you can forget about putting well.
DSCJNKY

On top of that, it's easy to get cold hands when they're wet, especially if you're like me and have poor circulation in your extremities. It might be worth bringing gloves or handwarmers even if it normally wouldn't be cold enough for that.

Wow, bikinjack missed the obvious. Stay in, stay dry. Drink beer, it's good. There's a game on TV somehwere.

I'd recommend MERRELL MEN'S MOAB MID GORE-TEX XCR HIKING BOOTS. They are water resistant, and I love mine! The downside is they are about 100$, but they are worth it! Bear in mind they are water resistant, not water proof. but the only time I've gotten wet, was when I jumped in a pond to retrieve a disc. ...not much can really stop the water there.

http://www.rei.com/product/788740

Gave up DG today for a buke ride. Didn't want ot get caught out in the rain. Now I feel dirty.

Beer is good.

I thought for a sec that maybe a buke ride was an early morning ride after a bit too much to drink the night before.

Latest posts