• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playin' in the Rain.

Balance would be the key I guess. I thought the best cure for a hangover was to start drinking again?

Balance would be the key I guess. I thought the best cure for a hangover was to start drinking again?

Well there's always that. I have been known to drink beer for breakfast quite often, this morning included, and to have a beer or two before I get on the bike.

I was stationed in Germany for 2+ years during my Army days. Man, did I love the dunkels and even more so, the heffe weisse. We would have to get up and run a couple of miles every morning. Sometimes a little "buking" went on during that run; but, regardless; I would feel like a million bucks after the run....

Need advice for playing in the rain

This weekend is the AZ Cactus Series Championships. Right now I am sitting in first place but not by much, which means I need to bring my A-game this weekend. The only problem is that the weather forecast calls for rain. Being in Arizona, I have very little experience in wet conditions. I need any advice you can offer. The last thing I want to is to play like crap because I'm not prepared.

I have an umbrella, rain pants, rain jacket, and Gore-tex shoes. Is there anything else I should be bringing? Any advice on technique changes? Shot selection?

*I already tried the forum search feature, but kept getting an error message.

Star/ESP/FLX plastic helps. A chamois, birdie bag, and plenty of dry towels are a good idea to keep your discs dry so they don't slip out of your hand. Also, dri-fit shirts help to wick away moisture.

GOOD LUCK!

A caddie will make your day a lot easier. I caddied for a bud during The Mad City Open this year. It rained pretty hard Sunday morning...our card was pretty beat up at the end, but my guy was dry. I think a caddie in the rain is gonna save you a stroke, maybe two for the round.

Star/ESP/FLX plastic helps. A chamois, birdie bag, and plenty of dry towels are a good idea to keep your discs dry so they don't slip out of your hand. Also, dri-fit shirts help to wick away moisture.

GOOD LUCK!

Good stuff. I assume I should stay away from my Champ/Z plastic, would I be right?

A caddie will make your day a lot easier. I caddied for a bud during The Mad City Open this year. It rained pretty hard Sunday morning...our card was pretty beat up at the end, but my guy was dry. I think a caddie in the rain is gonna save you a stroke, maybe two for the round.

Never even thought about this........hmmmm. Who do I know that I can talk into being my caddie for two days?

A birdie bag, lots of towels and extra socks are always nice to have. I find the lower grade plastics easiest to grip but YMMV.

Never even thought about this........hmmmm. Who do I know that I can talk into being my caddie for two days?

I don't know, but I know I caddied for the simple reason I wanted to get Tourney experience without actually playing. Yeah...I'm a chicken. I did learn a lot about tourney play.

If you use a caddie, make sure he/'she plays DG and knows the rules. Ask your TD about a caddie, he might know someone or...try the local disc shop and ask there.

A bad caddie can cause sportsmanship and other rules violations that can cost you a stroke.

A birdie bag, lots of towels and extra socks are always nice to have. I find the lower grade plastics easiest to grip but YMMV.

I thought about this, but the only problem is the courses are desert courses. If you have never played them, you find that even the most durable plastics get chewed to pieces very quickly.
I think I'm going to go to my shop and pick up a birdie bag. Never used one before, but sounds like a good call.

Your already letting the rain get into your head. You are all gonna play in the same conditions. Just play. I'd play as if it were dry and tell your competition before they tee off. Ummm hey man don't slip.

Playing slight more conservative drives is also important. When your in rain trying to get ahead should not be your goal but maintaining your position will be your best option because the people who will be going for the high risk to catch up with have a harder time with the added rain. If there is no rain or little rain play how you normally would. Even if its sprinkling because the only rain that will really effect the course of play is if it is coming down steady. A drizzle doesn't merit a change.

and yes, towels, like 6 of them. Designate one dirty and one wipe. Wipe the disc, throw it, clean off dirt and other stuff that will cling to the disc due to rain, then wipe it again before you put it in your bag. Change towels and try to keep those towels dry...

Sand and wet sounds pretty gritty....I'm free to carry this weekend if you can get me out there. Plus 10% of the winnings, of course. Ace pools...you keep.

Seriously....have plenty of towels and keep your bag covered as much as possible. Take your time...one throw at a time.

Your already letting the rain get into your head. You are all gonna play in the same conditions. Just play. I'd play as if it were dry and tell your competition before they tee off. Ummm hey man don't slip.

Yeah, I know. Most of my competition have a lot more experience than myself, and have played in bad conditions. I just want to be sure that I am as prepared as possible. My belief is that the more work and research I do pre-tournament, the better I will preform and I will have less to think about.

I love the idea of messing with the competition's head a bit.

Last edited:
Sand and wet sounds pretty gritty....I'm free to carry this weekend if you can get me out there. Plus 10% of the winnings, of course. Ace pools...you keep.

Seriously....have plenty of towels and keep your bag covered as much as possible. Take your time...one throw at a time.

Yeah, it will probably get gritty. I'm used to playing in the sand and dust, just not with water mixed in. When I get home tonight, I am going to prep my bag. Lots of towels for sure. Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts