• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

playing 18 holes with only 2 discs.

osteomark

I recently wanted to see if you truly need 7 or more discs that I usually carry.
I was floored as I shattered my record low at Clay Park in Clay, NY.
My best was +12 and I shot a +8 with only a Roc and T-bird3. I putted great with the Roc.
Anyone else figuring that we use to many discs in a round?

Yes. When I went back home and played my home course with my boys I only brought 3 discs. Challenged them to a 4 disc contest (I borrowed a firebird while their) we all shot very very close to our own course records. (And it is a technical varied 27 hole course btw)

You can make just a few discs do almost anything...

I recently wanted to see if you truly need 7 or more discs that I usually carry.
I was floored as I shattered my record low at Clay Park in Clay, NY.
My best was +12 and I shot a +8 with only a Roc and T-bird3. I putted great with the Roc.

Playing a one-disc, two-disc, or three-disc round can be fun and a way to see what you can do with your "limited" resources. Some of the fun is course-dependent, though. I like a 3-disc round... putter, control disc, distance driver (if course is long enough).

No, unless you are having issues with picking the right disc.

You can be very successful with a limited bag. You can be more successful with a full bag. Good players that have "streamlined" bags still have a disc for every shot.

You can be very successful with a limited bag. You can be more successful with a full bag. Good players that have "streamlined" bags still have a disc for every shot.

Allow me to add that pros have their discs very dialed-in, and with green dollar bills and titles on the line, they need to have a disc for every shot they can think of, as well as possible backups in case of lost discs.

Those of us on casual rounds might not need that much firepower, and can play a fun round without the extra weight. It also depends on the courses we play (short, long, woods, open, etc.). If you play a limited-disc round and find that you feel like you're missing one or reaching for one that isn't there... that's helpful knowledge also.

I've done this recently with a 2nd run c-FD and a d-P2 (maybe s-P2 if I'm doing a lot of putter driving). Results have been great and it's fun not overthinking shot selection.

No, unless you are having issues with picking the right disc.

I definitely err on the side of too many discs. But I also play fairly casual rounds, and I have lots of fun figuring out what different discs/shots do. Is it better for my score during those rounds? No. Will it help me get better and have more shot selection in the future? I hope so! But ask me again in a couple years...

I don't think picking the right disc is my problem. I think it's because I have a decent forehand game along with my improving backhand game. So there are tons of situations on the course where I could throw at least 3 different shots, each of which requires a different disc. If I carry fewer discs, it actually helps because I don't have as many options and I also improve my consistency with the shots I'm using. But like I said, I still prefer carrying more so I can try my hand at the various lines.

I play 2 disc putter rounds all the time at Elver, usually as a way to speed up breaking in a new Tank when the one in my bag gets too flippy. I can get a tank like 270, which is good enough to score well, but not enough to break any records. You need a full bag to have a complete game, but IMO a full bag is like 20 discs max.

I always half-joke that some day I'll show up to a C tier in Adv with just a Sole, a Tank, and a mini. At the right course I'd bet I could still cash.

Since the kids were born, I've only been able to play once a week or every other week and I was playing terrible all season. Changed to just carrying a neutral putter, stable midrange, and some driver (been experimenting, but just gonna go with something stupid OS for flick rollers and headwinds) and have been playing much better.

I like to carry extras just because sometimes my favorite driver, mid or putter just don't work for me on a given day. I know its me not the disc, but changing to a different disc seems to help most of the time.

I can easily play a round with just two discs. In fact, while I carry eight I'll usually use three.

Welcome from upstate!

I play Clay park often with just 3 DX discs for fun (Eagle, Roc, Yeti) and am always surprised at how well I can play. Last week I played with a DX Gazelle and a DX Rhyno. Damn fun!

I haven't beaten my best full bag score, but I tie my average score enough to know I don't need as many discs as I think.

Just played Clay last week. Great course. I'm from WNY.
I'd like to play some putter only rounds sometime, just never do it. A limited disc round against friends would be fun.

I'd like to play some putter only rounds sometime, just never do it. A limited disc round against friends would be fun.

It would be fun, been trying to do it all year and have no takers. Every time i suggest it, it turns into, we should also carry blah, and blah, and blah, so it ends up being a 4 disc round. Wussies! I do throw solo putter rounds on occasion, sometime take 2 putters and play one against the other. .

There has been two events around here lately where the only thing you're allowed to throw is a 175g Discraft Ultra Star.

But that's a different topic.

I have thrown an Aviar round before, that was fun.

Yeah, Clay is great. Lots of wooded holes and some wide open ones with wind.
Can't wait until I play their 2nd 18 that is in place. Still bushy yet. At Clay they maintain very well.
I practiced some shots I never use such as rollers and Tomahawk with the Roc and did not do too horribly.
I learned that I needed to really through the T-bird3 to the right, given 8 5 0 2 rating. Could have used my less over stable
TL3 8 5 0 1. I think my bag will become a lunch bag for sandwiches and water instead of discs. Probably should get another Roc in case I loose it.

I've been doing this a lot after buying a mystery box, I just go out with 2-3 discs (1 putter and whatever else) to find out what I can do with my new discs and playing a full round with new mid or driver teaches me a ton about a new disc. If I did that with a 10+ disc bag it could take weeks or more of playing that 1 round of a 2-3 disc bag can do. Lot's to learn and I love not having a heavy bag at the end of walking around 18 hilly holes.

I find I get super dialed into a few discs this way, if I play with a bunch of discs I'm chucking them all over the place but that's fun too cuz then you find more discs to chuck all over the place and the cycle repeats itself lol.

Last edited:

Latest posts