• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing a tourney with your toddler

hem1t

Hey all, would like to know what people think.

We just had a tournament. One of the competitions had their 2 year old toddler with them during their rounds who was not under full control some of the time. Some of the golfers in his groups over the weekend were not happy with this situation, but didn't mention anything until after the tournament had finished. The issue was raised with the competitor, a few days later and he thought discrimination might be involved if he was asked to leave his kid at home in the future. What do people think?? Suggestions??

Must have been festering if the guy brought it up days later and couldn't let it go.

I've played a couple of C-Tier tournament rounds with players and their toddlers. It was akward at times, but not terrible. Both Dads were really respectful and responsibile. The kids in question were generally well behaved though. If the kids didn't want to be there, it could have been ugly.

The guy should have been more understanding of players who may not have been enamored with his sometimes out-of-control toddler causing a distraction, instead of whining that he's being discriminated against. That's a little over the top. Next people will want to bring their dogs along. I love dogs, but not during a tourney, it's just not appropriate.

Last edited:
Yea, not appropriate for a tourney... Sucks if he doesnt have any other options, but should probably stick to more casual rounds if that is the case.

Not the same, but I'll go ahead. Last year I took my son to Discraft Ace Race, to play. He was 8 at the time. I know ace race isn't super competitive, but all the guys on the card where great. They were all very supportive of him and was a great experience for both of us.

It all depends on the situation and how you handle it.

Posted on facebook from a member of the PDGA rules commitee- obviously this is only in relation to PDGA sanctioned events:

"This came up recently in discussions on the PDGA rules committee. Our consensus view is summarised below:

It's a difficult situation. In my opinion, a tournament is not the place to bring your child when you know that he will be a distraction to other players. Similarly, a music recital would also not be a good place no matter how much the dad wants to go - in that case he needs to arrange for his son to be taken care of, out of regard for the musicians.

If the player cannot play in the tournament without bringing his son, he shouldn't enter. But a TD can't prevent a player from entering an event simply because of what they "might" do, it's incumbent upon the players during the competition to make the calls.

I'm certainly sympathetic to the father's situation, but if he can't find alternate care for his son, he shouldn't be entering sanctioned tournaments; it's simply not fair to the other players."

Isn't the player responsible for his spectators actions? Therefore, you could stroke them if the spectator is being loud and/or distraction?...

Not the same, but I'll go ahead. Last year I took my son to Discraft Ace Race, to play. He was 8 at the time. I know ace race isn't super competitive, but all the guys on the card where great. They were all very supportive of him and was a great experience for both of us.

It all depends on the situation and how you handle it.

Discraft encourages players of all ages so it was all good in that event.

Isn't the player responsible for his spectators actions? Therefore, you could stroke them if the spectator is being loud and/or distraction?...

Responsible for spectators? No. Responsible for a caddy? Yes. There is a difference and an important one. The player may not have control over who is following the group, even if he knows them. But a caddy is there for a specific purpose at the behest of the player.

While a 2-year-old obviously isn't a caddy, he also isn't a random spectator. He can't exactly be asked to leave without the player going with him. So for all intents and purposes, a child who is walking with a playing group because their sole caretaker is playing in it should fall under the category of caddy and thus be the responsibility of the player.

Given that, any action the child takes that is against the rules of play (courtesy in particular) should result in actions against the parent (warnings, penalties, etc). As rhatton1 brings up, a TD can't really prevent the player from playing if there's space in the event, but he certainly can make it clear ahead of time that the child is going to be treated as an extension of the player as far as the rules go. That's how I would handle it if a player showed up at one of my events with a toddler in tow.

Most people like kids. Me too. Have one, and a couple grandkids. Wouldn't even cross my mind to bring a 2 year old along in a tournament. An 8 year old is far different than a 2 year old. It's called consideration for others...just like the dogs on the course discussions and music on the course.

as someone who has worked with young children for 29 years, I'd say leave him at home, or better yet, throw the disc around with him somewhere else in the park. elementary age kids (age 8 sounds reasonable) might have a great experience going a round with their parent. believe me, you'll have plenty of time to do this $hit when your kid is ready for it!

My 2 year old is the #1 reason why I don't play more tournaments. He would be all over the place, trying to show all the other players his discs, trying to take his turn to throw, and probably most annoying to other people(but I think it's hilarious), adding commentary to their throws. He calls them like he sees them and won't hesitate to let you know when you screwed up your shot. He nice'd a guy I joined up with at a public park once- guy got kind of pissed. I was laughing on the inside.

Players are responsible for their caddy's actions; unless and until the PDGA starts issuing official specator passes to players to hand out to their "crew" to distinguish them from random fanboy/girl who just showed up, they should not be responsible for their specators' actions since a player has no way of controlling or restricting the actions of a random fan who show up to watch/support him or her, e.g., if the incident involving the douchebag "photographer" who kept disrupting PMB's attempt to putt during the final 9 at the '15 Worlds had happened during the final 9 or playoff in 2014, should Ricky have been held responsible if the "photographer" claimed to be there to support Rickey?

Last edited:
Players are responsible for their caddy's actions; unless and until the PDGA starts issuing official specator passes to players to hand out to their "crew" to distinguish them from random fanboy/girl who just showed up, they should not be responsible for their specators' actions since a player has no way of controlling or restricting the actions of a random fan who show up to watch/support him or her, e.g., if the incident involving the douchebag "photographer" who kept disrupting PMB's attempt to putt during the final 9 at the '15 Worlds had happened during the final 9 or playoff in 2014, should Ricky have been held responsible if the "photographer" claimed to be there to support Rickey?

I think yes..If the camera man was a team prodigy official photographer/videographer. If the camera man was just a random camera operator there to film everyone, then no.

Toddlers at a tournament... one where players have to pay an entry fee to play... you have got to be kidding? Dad needs to find a baby sitter or sit out the tournament IMO.

IMO this is a definite NO. I don't currently have any children but I do have 2 nephews, one of which is 3 years old. I could not imagine taking him onto the course for even a semi serious doubles rounds with a couple buddies. For one, there is no telling when he is going to do something distracting, he does not understand what is appropriate and what is not, and he would probably get sick of it after about 45 minutes.

The rules clearly address a player's conduct, a caddie's conduct (though I don't know if "caddie" is defined), and dogs. Beyond that they're a little gray, and you may have to count on common sense by the player---which, I believe, would mean not bringing a toddler to a tournament.

But unlike photographers, groupies, and other entourage, the toddler is under the control of the player. At least, to the degree that anyone can control a toddler. Certainly, the presence of a toddler is within the control of the player. So perhaps you can use that to hold the player responsible. He is prohibited from causing a distraction, and bringing the toddler inevitably causes one.

Hey all, would like to know what people think.

We just had a tournament. One of the competitions had their 2 year old toddler with them during their rounds who was not under full control some of the time. Some of the golfers in his groups over the weekend were not happy with this situation, but didn't mention anything until after the tournament had finished. The issue was raised with the competitor, a few days later and he thought discrimination might be involved if he was asked to leave his kid at home in the future. What do people think?? Suggestions??

Sounds like a selfish person who needs to make time for family. I have seen others in the sport that seem to only get enjoyment out of playing and being away from their children and families which is sad but that is their choice they have to live with. What amazes me is the people that do this during holiday weekends (tournaments on Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends have always been a head scratcher to me) when they feel it necessary to play tournaments and tell stories of how they are glad they do not have to be around their families and children for a long weekend.

Another case where common sense isn't so common. A 2 year old doesn't belong on a course, especially at a tournament. Foremost there's the safety issue and secondary there's the common courtesy issue. Your toddler may indeed be the most important child in "your" world, but to the group you're playing with, it's a bummer to have to deal with.

It was irresponsible and inconsiderate for the father to bring his toddler.