• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing/Parking at Golden Gate

PoorPutter

Par Member
Heading to SF in a couple weeks. What's the parking situation at the Golden Gate course? Streetview makes it look like (ample) parking along JFK, but my wife is reading all kinds of horror stories about having to shuttle into Golden Gate park and not taking your own car and whatnot. What's the real story? Thanks!

Heading to SF in a couple weeks. What's the parking situation at the Golden Gate course? Streetview makes it look like (ample) parking along JFK, but my wife is reading all kinds of horror stories about having to shuttle into Golden Gate park and not taking your own car and whatnot. What's the real story? Thanks!

I played early morning on a weekday to avoid this. Both sides of road have parking for several blocks in either direction. There was ample parking close to first tee that early, but there were already lots of groups playing and even more waiting to tee off. While GG course was nice and all, if I only had time to play one course in San Fran, I might choose GlenEagles....but then again, I like disc golf on ball golf and don't mind paying to play.

Both courses are beautiful, but Glen Eagles is more beautiful and much more challenging. Golden Gate holes are shorter and more compact and beginner friendly. The crowds at GG reminded me of Morley Field in San Diego.

I had time to play both courses in one morning. I started at Golden Gate, then drove to Glen Eagles then drove to Berkeley Airport in plenty of time to catch a 3:00 pm flight home.

As long as you are not coming in late morning on a weekend you will be fine. Early morning unless there is a big event in the park such as Outside Lands Aug 9,10,11 where just avoid it all together. Middle of the day on any given weekend could be more of a search for parking.
The course is also very crowded most of the time and even more on weekends. Play in with a group you meet or just go slow. I've singled the course a few times and tried playing through and most are cool with that but chances of playing through one group to just run into another and another is quite high.