• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Please give me some tips

Quikshark

I've been trying to improve my form for the last couple of years. Reading these forums and Disc Golf Review when it was up. I've been stuck at the same point distance wise for around a year now. Probably between 325 - 350 with a distance driver. I know most of the basic info, for example, I should probably stop throwing the distance driver. But I would really appreciate it if anybody could take a look at my form and let me know if you see something I could work on. Thanks in advance.

https://youtu.be/fgkWkIpXQdY

Understable. My main distance disc right now is a Katana. I'll also use a D4 occasionally.

I use putters for field work and I get them around 275.

first thing i noticed is your pivot. or lack there of. You planted on your lead foot and it never moved. This is putting a lot of twist (stress) on your knee and not allowing your hips to do what they need to, which is rotate more.

Theres not a clean release - your disc isnt flat through the pull and when you release the disc, it wobbles. it was hard for me to tell for sure, but it looked like it was a nose up release as well, although it was nose down in the pull. Possibly youre rolling your wrist, trying to throw the disc out of your hand rather than using your body and arm to create a whip which causes the the disc to rip out of your hand. if that makes sense.

try stepping down to a valkyrie or similar. see what distance you get there

there are discs that will show form flaws either than others. X Comets are well known for this.

Sorry about the previous post. I was trying to embed the video to make it easier to view and then I used up all my editing time.

That's a good observation on the rolling of the wrist. I was turning the disc over a lot in that field practice and I suspected that was probably what I was doing.

I've recently been trying to add force late by adding an active component to the opening of the wrist instead of just letting it open passively. Maybe that's what's causing it?

I've recently been trying to add force late by adding an active component to the opening of the wrist instead of just letting it open passively. Maybe that's what's causing it?

maybe? not totally sure what you mean by active component. but getting the pivot will allow you to get more power from your legs, hips, shoulders, and therefore arm

See how you lift the disc upward in reachback? Your throwing off plane. The wobble out of your hand and the off plane issue may just be a grip issue. ss22 would say try a 2 finger grip.

You also don't pivot. Your body cant really go all out if its going to hurt itself. Have to learn to plant on toe, then heel and back to toe.

Your also rounding. At about 12 secs youll notice the disc gets to the right pec and then you start throwing. Want your body out of its way. Try taking a golf iron and chunking it like a disc. If it flys to the right without you telegraphing anhyzer your rounding.

Yea, Im sure Sidewinder22 will post his usual videos and tips - very resourceful

I appreciate the advice so far. I see the plane issue. I'm going to start working on that. I just saw a post by Ricky Wysocki the other day on Instagram that addressed that and realized that's something I need to do better. Also I've been aware of my lack of pivot. I guess just not aware as to how important it was. My issue with learning it is that I do most of my practice on a hardwood floor in socks. If I pivot I fall down. Clearly I need a new spot to practice.

By rounding do you mean I'm not opening my right shoulder?

Should I drive the elbow forward to get it out front further or let it happen passively? If I wait any longer before I accelerate I don't feel like I'm generating much power. Feels like my arms just flapping open instead of being driven open.

Yeah to all the above stuff mentioned. Ultimately everything needs change including your concept of how to throw and aiming. You want to throw the weight of the disc like a hammer, don't try to spin it. Your are really torquing your body around yourself instead of pivoting or gliding your hips forward with your weight balanced dynamically in posture. Your front foot doesn't pivot because your weight shift is sequenced too late to your swing, if you get all that momentum moving more together leading from the weight shift balanced you automatically pivot effortlessly. Your elbow needs to get out forward and wide to fully release your arm swing from your body and be on plane. Learn to throw Comets, mids, putters clean. Keep the disc on the plane you are throwing and your arm swinging on the same plane as the disc and your shoulders.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/...&t=13291&sid=7fcd03e093aa81f46cb48fbc470c71e4
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119328

Solid advice from Sidewinder. I'd also like to add don't pick up your plant foot when doing a standstill throw. It may be tough at first and you might feel like you griplock a lot or let them go early. Stick with those putters just throwing hundred foot shots (or whatever's comfortable). Most of the power is going to come from your hips and core. Pushing your hips through instead of spinning will help that weight/power transfer. When you get comfortable at that range, move back twenty feet. I've found putting as little effort into my arms and shoulders as possible helps my accuracy and release. It also forces you to use your lower body to throw the disc like you should

So I don't really want to be opening my hips or my shoulders but instead focus on everything moving towards the target? Should I have the side of my hip and lead shoulder pointing at the target in the release and then allow the momentum to cause everything to open afterward?

check out these guys in these video. notice when they start their reach back. i too have the same problem - my reach back starts prior to landing the X step resulting in poor weight transfer and a poor pivot. the x step and THEN reach back and their weight shifts. Im not good enough at DG to say as a fact that this will help your pivot correct and weight transfer, but I think, based on the video compared to yours, that it will