• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Please help me!

faasda01

I am a primarily RHFH player. My distance isnt great (about 250ft drives) so I tried to take up RHBH driving. I can rip my putter and mid-range pretty well from a standing position and get a nice 3 phase flight (turn, glide, fade). However when I transition to throwing my drives or attempt a run-up the disc instantly hyzers to about 10,000ft and then dive bombs back down. Is this a common mistake? Any tips?

your backswing dictates where your shot goes, pull straight through on a line, start slow, finish fast. Stick to low speed drivers to start (like speed 7-9)

You are likely gripping nose up. With drivers they will not tolerate this at all, and will fly up very high and crash down on a hyzer.

Also, midranges and putters generally should be pretty straight. If you're seeing a turn/flip/glide/fade flight out of them that is pretty wide and distinct, I wouldn't doubt that you're actually throwing these pretty nose up as well, having speed and torque flip them, and then the nose up flight stables them out for a fading finish. Now several putters and mids will have a turn/glide/fade flight, but generally it's a very smooth line, so it really depends on what you're getting out of them for if it's correct or nose up and torqued. Just if the grip is the case, be aware that your discs will fly different and you've likely been compensating with your throw angles to make up for the grip.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

You are likely gripping nose up. With drivers they will not tolerate this at all, and will fly up very high and crash down on a hyzer.

Thanks. I am reading through the article and think where my disc is griped might be a part of my issue. I have been gripping with the disc laying almost across the pad of my fingers rather than along the seam. Hopefully can get out the field and test it soon.

Thanks. I am reading through the article and think where my disc is griped might be a part of my issue. I have been gripping with the disc laying almost across the pad of my fingers rather than along the seam. Hopefully can get out the field and test it soon.

Play around with it too. Everyone's finger lengths are different, but tilt the disc in your palm and wrap your fingers around it. I like it a few degrees, noticeably, nose down of the middle of the forearm. Like I said your throw is likely built around your old grip, so you may get some funky releases. But if you are throwing nose up, that absolutely kills distance potential.

Latest posts