• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Polecat type lids and newer discs like Foxbat or Nova

I enjoyed the Rattler, but it was just too deep of a mold for me. Plus the D plastic they use for them has been terribly waxy and flimsy for years. It is a really nice mold though if I didn't have baby hands.

I must have lucked out...my red one feels pretty good and is decently stiff. The last one I had I think was made from their Soft D plastic, it was super flexible.

I must have lucked out...my red one feels pretty good and is decently stiff. The last one I had I think was made from their Soft D plastic, it was super flexible.

That's encouraging. I've had chartreuse and black, and they've both felt nice an grippy in the house in a controlled environment, but once they get into any heat, they just wind up warping in my bag/cart.

I enjoyed the Rattler, but it was just too deep of a mold for me. Plus the D plastic they use for them has been terribly waxy and flimsy for years. It is a really nice mold though if I didn't have baby hands.

Flex in the Pro D line has been bad for years, though I do wish they would make a Z flex or ESP Rattler so you could still have the disc stiff enough yet grippy enough to work as a putter. A disc golf version of an Ultrastar was a good Idea.

If new Pro D is more like the old Pro D I might just have to give it a throw, get a disc I used/use in that Stiff pre 2006 Pro D. :D

It is a really grippy feeling blend. I wouldn't mind it one bit (I like the waxy feel when it comes to grip, but I prefer it to be stiffer like the first McPro Aviar run) if it were firmer.

I have a champ polecat, it's a magical disc and kind of what I wanted out of a Nova. I still have fun throwing the polecat in certain scenarios

To me, both of them are uncomfortable in my hand, and the polecat is kind of unthrowable in wind, so I'm testing out a PA4 for touch approaches to compliment my Breaker cycle. PA4 has a thick rim that feels better and is nice and slow and glidey.

I wouldn't mind if the Whitler returned. In the exact same plastic.

Yes the Whittler does need to be resurrected!! I agree, same plastic. such a sweet disc.

Rattler is a cool disc too and it does hand umph pretty well. But for me, its rounded top makes it strangely hard to golf. I think tbird888 hit it on the head; too deep and waxy. but apparently the new ProD is better. Will have to investigate.

Yes the Whittler does need to be resurrected!! I agree, same plastic. such a sweet disc.

Rattler is a cool disc too and it does hand umph pretty well. But for me, its rounded top makes it strangely hard to golf. I think tbird888 hit it on the head; too deep and waxy. but apparently the new ProD is better. Will have to investigate.

Isn't the Whittler pretty deep too? I haven't thrown mine in a long time.

If the Rattler had the multiple rings the Ultrastar has that would help out. Also would make the disc more like an old Puppy/Super Puppy.

The whittler is a bigger diameter so it changes the grip slightly. Depth I can't remember.

Ultrastars can be funky to grip if I've been playing too much golf.

Always wanted to try the Puppy/Super Puppy.

I feel like eventually my bag will just be a bunch of lids and putters and a Mamba...

If the Rattler had the multiple rings the Ultrastar has that would help out. Also would make the disc more like an old Puppy/Super Puppy.
I'm not old enough to have thrown a Puppy, but the Super Puppy didn't have grip rings.

I've been surprised that that Polecat gets so much love on here and nobody ever talks about the Rattler. The Rattler actually has a little stability so you can hit it with more power than a Polecat. To me it's a better conversion disc for players trying out a lid for that reason. You sacrifice some glide for that stability, so after you figure out throwing the Rattler the Polecat to me is like the "next step". We never talk about the Rattler, though. We should. :|

I think the biggest reason I skip over the Rattler, besides the reasons already mentioned, is just availability. If somebody wants to try a lid type golf disc you just know there's a Polecat collecting dust in his local store already. :\

I think the biggest reason I skip over the Rattler, besides the reasons already mentioned, is just availability. If somebody wants to try a lid type golf disc you just know there's a Polecat collecting dust in his local store already. :\

I wish this were true, but the only "lids" I have easily available to me are Makanis and Pulsars, as well as Ultra Stars. I've only felt a Polecat as far as the more popular lids and briefly owned a PFN Birdie. I've never seen another Polecat and one guy throws Birdies so that's where mine went.

Isn't the Whittler pretty deep too? I haven't thrown mine in a long time.

Yeah it's deep... it swallows other discs in the bag.. I can hide a spare Envy inside it, flip over a Comet and it hides its rim too, then tuck it into a putter pocket... some guys do that to stash stuff..

I'm not old enough to have thrown a Puppy, but the Super Puppy didn't have grip rings.

I remember seeing the top of some smaller disc golf sized disc from the 1990's in a used sports store, pre runner to the PIAS that looked like a more shallow Rattler but with flight rings on it. That was before I picked up Lighting's version of a ROC at 180 grams. I thought at the time that all black disc was a practice Discus Disc. Both had PDGA approved on the disc.

Same, they have Polecat's and Birdie's as discs as they sell only Innova in my area. More lid players use the Birdie as the Polecat especially in the weights under 165 grams get affected by the high wind South Dakota gets. Also have at Walmart a set of max weight R-Pro that will never sell they are way to soft and floppy, about as floppy as the stiffest putter mold in the special Steady Ed putter plastic.

Scored a D rattler from PIAS sports today for $4. Gonna throw it along side some PCs and Upshots in the yard shortly. It already feels a bit deep.

Scored a D rattler from PIAS sports today for $4. Gonna throw it along side some PCs and Upshots in the yard shortly. It already feels a bit deep.

Yeah...the Rattler is pretty deep. Has a ton of float on nose up shots.