• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Polecat

Nice. I have a lot of kitty throw ins, but no ace.

Did they put new baskets in at Bryant? Haven't been in a couple years.

Most holes have a short and long basket. They try to keep them differentiate by having one blue and the other yellow, but each season it seems they get it mixed up which is which. Most of them are coordinated, but a few holes, Hole 3 is the only I recall, they have it backwards.

Hole 13 is unique in that it does not have a yellow basket, but a standard Mach sitting in a fallen tree's trunk to the left of the dogleg, near the swamp, instead of the right, which is where this blue basket is at. I am going off the top of my head, but I think Holes 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, and 18 do not have multiple baskets.

To get my order above the free shipping limit, I added a 146g DX Polecat to it, figuring it will be a backup for the first one, or I can practice with it, etc. When I opened the box, I was shocked, and very disappointed, how domey it was... HUGE dome. It did not feel good at all in my hands. My first Polecat has a very (very) mild dome, not flat but not as frickin' round as the second one.

On the course, the domey Polecat performed poorly. It was very flippy, going right (RHBH) on even no-power throws. No problem hyzer-flipping it, fer sure.

I'm giving it the hot water treatment now, and I hope that'll help.

TL;DR: are Polecats supposed to be that domey?!?!
I know Innova is known for their inconsistency which most of us are either willing to live with or actually embrace because you can bag several of the same mold for different purposes. But a domey Polecat?? I'd consider that a defective disc and return it.

Basically nobody likes polecats except us: it's rare to see in someone's bag, that's about it.
Which is really weird to me; 98% of my 50'+ made putts were with a Polecat. And it's probably the first disc I would recommend to a beginner, particularly someone with frisbee experience.

Looks like a champ. Have you beat it up much? I have a red one but it's pretty "beefy" as far as polecat's go. Great for full power polecat drives, but not so much for turnovers...

I splurged and purchased five of them to try to evenly distribute the wear, so none of them are really that beat in yet. Regardless, I cannot throw them at full power without bad form taking over. I never use them for anything over 140 feet. I found that at 144 (the length of the side of my yard to my portable basket) is the magical line where I go from almost always putting it under the basket to widely inconsistent and not knowing where it is going to land.

Way earlier in the spring, I was using my Gold Line Pure exclusively for approaches, essentially 45 to almost 200. It was the MN Ams Championship, and being early in the year, my drives were still a little off and I was routinely coming up 20 or so shorter than I normally do. That completely throws off what I had been used to for approaching; medium putts are now long putts, long putts are now in the zone between running it and just trying to be under the basket. My Pures, which are supposed to be neutral, all of a sudden behaved overstable, and I was routinely dumping away from the basket. It costs me something like four or five throws in the course of 27 holes.

The second round, I tried an Innova Nova, and that was a huge disappointed. I had the best drive in a long time on Kaposia #11, only 120 left to go. Should have been an easy three, maybe even a run at a 2. Nova dumped after 70 feet - it is a decent driving putter, but it utterly failed as an approach. I turned an easy three into a five because of three putting.

Before the third, I hit the only place open on Sunday that sells discs. I picked up a Prodigy Pa4. For what I needed for the tournament, it got the job done, but I was not pleased with the overall experience. I wanted to pick up a G-Star Polecat. Long time ago I had purchased a R-Pro Polecat and loved it, but I never took it seriously. I wanted a higher grade Polecat because I absolutely hate DX - and do not try to convince me otherwise, even though I do not begrudge you if you like it.

I could not find any G-Star, so I settled for Champions, and I have to say, it is exactly what I was looking for for long approaches. I started using for long putts as well, but recently I put ESP Meteors back in the bag, and they have stolen the long putt duties from the Polecat.

This ace is the second with the Polecat. The first was on a 120 foot hole on the ace run course at Mont du Lac.

I gave them an honest try, but the Lucid and Moonshine Deputy could not out perform the Champion Polecat. I know they are completely different shape, but the understability of the Deputy was supposed to have a similar flight for shorter approach shots, but because of it being better suited to come out of the hand cleaner, maybe I could stretch it out for longer distances.

They had their moments, but the Deputy just could not perform with the short (less than 120 feet) accuracy that the Polecat can.

The polecat has been a big player in my bag for a few years now. For fun I want to remove it from the bag and not throw it for a while. Curious to see how much I miss it. Maybe I won't miss it.

I've been using a zephyr as a catch disc lately, I love the thing. May have to take it to the course... I don't see it handling wind very well though. And it's so large it doesn't love to catch the chains.
Also testing the nova out, it seems to have a pretty high skill ceiling. I've thrown in some 100'+ up shots with it... but I'm also prone to yanking it and or over shooting.
So I'm curious how the polecat fits in. There are only dx versions at the local brick and mortar. What's everyone favourite plastic for the polecat?

From what I've thrown, DX is my favorite. XT is second. R-Pro is great but pretty fragile. Champ is the least glidey of all, and the one I threw was less durable than my current DX.

How would you polecat lovers compare the flight to a novas flight?

Apples and oranges. Both are good discs. The Polecat has more glide and is a bit more forgiving of errant throws. The Nova is great for fixing one's form issues, and it's a good dead-straight disc, while the Polekitty will stay on the line you throw it on.

I've been using a zephyr as a catch disc lately, I love the thing. May have to take it to the course... I don't see it handling wind very well though. And it's so large it doesn't love to catch the chains.
Also testing the nova out, it seems to have a pretty high skill ceiling. I've thrown in some 100'+ up shots with it... but I'm also prone to yanking it and or over shooting.
So I'm curious how the polecat fits in. There are only dx versions at the local brick and mortar. What's everyone favourite plastic for the polecat?

I have DX Polecats, including lightweight 150-class discs. But I bag one of the 175g Champion Polecats I got from Infinite Discs. The Champs are also available at the Innova Proshop, if they haven't sold out there. The Champ Polekitties are awesome.

I have DX Polecats, including lightweight 150-class discs. But I bag one of the 175g Champion Polecats I got from Infinite Discs. The Champs are also available at the Innova Proshop, if they haven't sold out there. The Champ Polekitties are awesome.

What's the difference in flight?

I wanted to love the polecat but it seemed too "in between"

Just a smidge too glidey for me. Stays on-angle well but for a point-and-shoot brick I can't imagine a better disc than the birdie. Yes, I'm aware it isn't "cool" but man I love that disc. If I'm looking for more glide on a straight finishing disc I'm going straight Anode/Serpent/Dart etc.

R-Pro is my favorite. I don't know why. Mine is a 160 that's beat to crap. It can do just about anything within about 150 feet.

I also have a DX, but it has a high shoulder. I didn't like how it felt in my hand, so I never used it.