• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Popular discs you just don’t like

Tern. I bought it because of all the rave reviews on here, but I get a better flight and more distance out of a Orc Backhand, and the Trespass gives me the same forehand. To many wasted throws and shots lost trying to make it work, finally just got rid of it.

Buzzz is probably my big one. Feels fine, flies fine, but it is too much of a one trick pony for me. You have to put a more predictable mid in your bag with it and I always just end up throwing that other mid because well, why wouldn't you? The luna is another one. It is fine, but everyone seems to be throwing these right now and it really isn't anything special. Honestly, all of Paul's molds are pretty whatever, discraft/dga has better molds in every slot. This isn't a disc, but I really don't like discrafts new esp plastic. I find it really slick and too hard. I don't like any of Innova's putter plastics so I won't throw any of those. Anything from any company above a speed 12 I won't throw either, I just don't have the hands for them.

I'll second that about Discrafts ESP plastic. Too stiff and slick for me. I love Z though so pretty much every discraft disc I own is Z or Z flx. I thought it would be similar to star but it's not even close.

Nobody hate me, please, I'm just responding to the thread question...
I don't like the Roc very much at all, there I said it :|

I do not like the ROC either. Wasp is better but I want more grip to the plastic and in those plastics be flat top or nearly otherwise in plastic less then Z, the Wasp is less OS then its numbers indicate.

Aviar for a putter is not good and for a driving putter for me due to design unless it was though Aviar is not bad though a little slow. I can drive with the Aviar more so the Classic Aviar though I would want a more durable plastic as DX would make the disc US fairly quick. Just for driving the Aviar is a tad slow, speed 3 is better for driving with and a 3 top Aviar is not Speed 3 despite what Innova people say.

Firebird I Can't use as disc is too OS despite the ability to use a Whippet a fairly similar disc in the same flight path. I do not use a Whippet as the mold is a fairly limited use disc but I can use the Whippet probably due to the disc being a slower mold.

Last is anything that is popular past 12 speed as those discs are too fast for me and probably most average non pro players trying to use them. like the Crank, the Nuke, and the Boss I can't use them and probably never will just like 90% of the pro players on tour do not really use those molds.

I tend to like discs that others hate, rather than the other way around. That being said:

Eagle - people around these here parts love 'em, but I've never had any luck with 'em.

Aviar P&A - another one that is popular but I never saw why...

Wizard - I don't hate it, but i never clicked with it, and it wasn't for a lack of trying. Just too brickish, i.e. not glidey enough for me.

Firebird, Destroyer - people love 'em and they sell out the wazoo, but they don't work well for me because of their overstability.

I love the Eagle but to find the right one is a PTA and you need to be at a store to find the right disc. Same for Destroyer but I like the Champion and would just need to find the slightly low dome to flat top at around 165 grams, +/-- 2 grams.

Anything Trilogy, that stuff just doesn't hold up at all. I don't think I've owned one that didn't show turn within a few months of play. Shame though, I'd really like to get into DD because of their naming scheme.

I love the Eagle but to find the right one is a PTA and you need to be at a store to find the right disc. Same for Destroyer but I like the Champion and would just need to find the slightly low dome to flat top at around 165 grams, +/-- 2 grams.

I went for Stalker due to being hard to find an Eagle that flies like the Stalker. Before the Stalker I was using the XL (still have an OOP ESP XL in bag), a more consistent version of the Teebird. So basically I went for Discraft as they have some of the most consistent discs on the market.

Wizard - I don't hate it, but i never clicked with it, and it wasn't for a lack of trying. Just too brickish, i.e. not glidey enough for me.

I threw Wizards for a long time when I started playing. I got caught up in the "you can only throw one brand" craze for a while and switched bags 20 times. I'm now coming back to Wizards and I actually like the lack of glide for putting. It's helping me to commit to shots and be more assertive since I can't rely on the extra glide to get me there, but it was shocking at first how brickish they actually are.

Comet.
Wasp (Just picked up one again, and there's a lot of flashing where the top and bottom parts of the mold fit - which reminded me why I never threw the Wasp and why I avoided Discraft for so long - the flashing on the Wasp cuts my hand).
Luna/Roach (too round)
Magnet/Clutch (rim too gross)
Teebird and TL (I just can't... can't throw these discs somehow)
All 2-part MVP discs (can't grip them other than Electron/Fission)

Roc. Just yuck on the hand feel and junky plastics. Wasps and Comets for the win.

Aviar P&A... or Pain and Agony. I see no point in this disc.

Ion. I can putt with it but not throw it. It flies so beautiful though... I really wish I could.

Truth. All the bad points of a Buzzz without any of the good.

Anything Trilogy, that stuff just doesn't hold up at all. I don't think I've owned one that didn't show turn within a few months of play. Shame though, I'd really like to get into DD because of their naming scheme.

i get obliterated anytime i post this on reddit. I Do not understand how other people do not acknowledge this. They look like they got ran over by a vehicle after 4-5 rounds. incredible

i get obliterated anytime i post this on reddit. I Do not understand how other people do not acknowledge this. They look like they got ran over by a vehicle after 4-5 rounds. incredible

Zero of mine have ever looked like that no matter how old. 4 -5 rounds? Bwahahaha