• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Popular discs you just don’t like

their baseline literally looks like you put it through a grinder after a week. lots of trees in michigan

I will say, living in MI and having thrown trilogy a few years ago, that the plastic cosmetically gets best up really quickly, but doesn't break in as fast as it suggests. Of course, it's a tree to tree basis, but that was my experience. My "problem" with the plastic is that it's too soft and tacky. They're lucid/opto/vip stuck to my hand a little too much in the summer. It was great in the fall/winter though!

Comet.
Wasp (Just picked up one again, and there's a lot of flashing where the top and bottom parts of the mold fit - which reminded me why I never threw the Wasp and why I avoided Discraft for so long - the flashing on the Wasp cuts my hand).
Luna/Roach (too round)
Magnet/Clutch (rim too gross)
Teebird and TL (I just can't... can't throw these discs somehow)
All 2-part MVP discs (can't grip them other than Electron/Fission)

Wasp - yeah seems like DC (along with pretty much every other manufacturer) has a problem sometimes with the parting line. When it's bad it's terrible, like, you've got this sharp ledge jutting out beyond the apparently misaligned mold piece. Doesn't happen all the time - some Wasps are perfectly clean around the PLH - but some are pretty nasty.

A little (a lot) of elbow grease and a sanding block takes care of it, but I would understand someone preferring to just pass.

Wasp - yeah seems like DC (along with pretty much every other manufacturer) has a problem sometimes with the parting line. When it's bad it's terrible, like, you've got this sharp ledge jutting out beyond the apparently misaligned mold piece. Doesn't happen all the time - some Wasps are perfectly clean around the PLH - but some are pretty nasty.

A little (a lot) of elbow grease and a sanding block takes care of it, but I would understand someone preferring to just pass.

I did that sanding once for a Q Sentinel and I don't really want to do that kind of sanding again. The Wasp I will just use for comparison photographs and then put it back in a box. It's the only one I own.

I avoided Discraft for several years after encountering said flashing on multiple molds and having a Comet literally melt in my car. I left it in the front seat in the middle of summer, went and played a round - direct sun. I got back in my car and it had literally melted and fused to the floormat. This was one of those Saturn stamped old ones, from the late 90s. I think it was Tournament Pro plastic. But yeah, a couple bad experiences steered me away from them (plus back then they had a lot of not so good molds).

Today: I throw multiple Discraft molds in multiple plastics. But I still won't throw a Comet. I bought a MJ Comet just to support MJ. Any other pro, no sale.

i get obliterated anytime i post this on reddit. I Do not understand how other people do not acknowledge this. They look like they got ran over by a vehicle after 4-5 rounds. incredible

That's just how reddit is my good man. Gotta go with the hive-mind there.

At least that is not Innova with some discs having flashing so bad the disc can not be thrown at all and sanding makes the disc flashing worse as into little bits of sharper flashing on discs that the flashing is the biggest and worst. Star Shark was one of the more consistent with the flashing and why the mold is not made in that plastic anymore was that and the Star plastic did not mold up well for the Shark, often more like F2 plastic.

Any of McBeth's discs...too similar to already existing molds but with a celebrity price tag. Pass. Same for Paige's stuff too.

Same. Zues-I have beat in Forces

Malta- Looks and feels like a Wasp, I throw a Quake oR Buzzz

Anax- Stable/Overstable 10 speed- Not really part of my game/bag in general

Luna- I use Judges

I'm going to bring up another controversial one, but before ya'll get out the pitch forks and torches, hear me out. I don't like the Firebird- blasphemy, I know.

With a few exceptions, I'm not a huge fan of the older style of discs with the bigger beads and more curved rims- they just feel weird in my hand (the Eagle is the exception for me). There's that and I generally feel that Firebirds are too overstable for my needs. I can max around 480' in an open field, and I just don't find a need for the crazy overstable molds.

That being said, I love a lighter weight Motion/Fireball from the gyro line up (168-170g), Predators, or the Longbowman from Westside. All of these offer the same overstability for forehands and spike hyzers, but you can actually get some distance out of them. On a 300 ft shot for example, the Firebird just dumps out too early for me unless I really force it over on a flex line. I can put a little extra umph on my Resistor and get it to go straight for an extra 30 feet and get me there, without ever having to worry about it turning over in a headwind.

Don't @ me, rant over :D

Teebird - Tried & tried to learn this standard fairway.
Comet - Have a couple for practice, just don't like feel. Chose the Meteor then Sol instead.
Roc - Never felt I could grip it properly
All 13+ Drivers - Those wide rims and they don't add anything to my game (such as it is)

Sexton Firebird - whenever I want that reliable overstable finish, it ends up straighter than I expect, like a Thunderbird. When I go in expecting that straighter flight, it's a little more overstable than I want. I can never get distances dialed-in with it either, I always come up way short or fly way long. Just can't figure out its flight, forehand or backhand. Slower fairways like Tridents/Banshees/Resistors have been much more reliable for me in this general role.

Buzzz - if I wanted to throw a driver I would. it's a driver disguised as a mid - doesn't power down very well.

Firebird - the rim feels all wonky in my hand

Gator - see firebird

Boss/World/Nuke/etc - too fast, too wide, have to try to throw too hard

bold: I agree with above as most discs past speed 12 should not be thrown by amateur players that are not gunning for top level Am open at worlds, in fact 90%-95% of pro players do not throw a disc past speed 12, very rare that the top players even go past speed 12 unless in the 10%-5% they use for the top max distance disc a 13 speed or smaller sized 14 speed rim that should be a labeled a 13 speed rim.

Sexton Firebird - whenever I want that reliable overstable finish, it ends up straighter than I expect, like a Thunderbird. When I go in expecting that straighter flight, it's a little more overstable than I want. I can never get distances dialed-in with it either, I always come up way short or fly way long. Just can't figure out its flight, forehand or backhand. Slower fairways like Tridents/Banshees/Resistors have been much more reliable for me in this general role.

What about...a regular Firebird?

Latest posts