• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Portable/tournament worthy baskets

Tim_the_Enchanter

Birdie Member
I posted the same thing on DGR, but no response so far, figure I'll see if anyone has input here:

I recently moved into a new place that has a back yard so I can finally set up a practice basket outside. I'd like to get one that I can move if need be (i.e. able to be broken down to fit in a Civic), but also one that I could use for tournaments. I doubt that I'd ever need to provide a basket for an A-tier/NT, but better to be safe than sorry, so I'd primarily be looking for one of the "Championship" level baskets: http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/PDGA_approved_targets_082310.pdf

Anybody have any thoughts on any in particular? Mach III's are out for me (overpriced and catch like an amputee outfielder). Discatcher are my faves that I've putted on, but I don't have really have qualms with Mach Vs/Chainstars.

I wouldn't mind getting a basket that isn't made by the "Big 3", but haven't used many. I remember seeing the DiscIn basket years ago, but all I can see now is what looks like an outdated myspace page. I was also interested in the Gateway Titan, but last I checked, they were making portables anymore.

Anyone have experience with the Disc King baskets? They look pretty sweet on the website, but I wish they had a wheel on them. http://www.discking1.com/Baskets.html

Theres a few threads around here where people have taken a DGA M-14 and added some chains from a local hardware store to make them like a Mach III/V. Even with buying the extra chains costs less than half of what a Mach III/V portable is. Also it can break down pretty easily, I've been to a tournament where they had to set one up because a few weeks prior a tree fell and crushed the existing basket.

IIRC the M-14 is the only all-metal portable thats sub-$200 anyway.

M-14 is the cheapest all metal/ most portable all metal basket there is. It is PDGA approved for tournament play (at the bottom of the list, but it's there). I have one. The M-14 will give you more spit-outs than a higher priced basket (less chains, smallet post), BUT if you can make your putts stick on the M-14, you can make them stick anywhere.

My M-14 has been used in 2 Tournaments, and 3 ring of fires. I have putted a lot with it and have to estamate that it has had 1000+ disc hits. One of the welds on the cage has seperated, but is still held in place.

I bought mine beacause it was cheap, portable, and all metal with plans on buying a better one in the future. Plus I did not know how much I'd use it. It has gotten more use that what I ever thought it would, and has made me a much better putter. I will use it till it falls apart, then most likely mobe up to the portable Chainstar.

All in all I recomend the M-14 to start out with. If you end up doing a lot of putting with it and you decide you need something better move up to one of the top 3 Chainstar, Mach 3 or 5, or Chainstar.

Hehe, yeah, I'm all to familiar with the M-14s. They're inexpensive, and they're metal, and that's about all I can say for them. I'd actually rather putt on a pop up basket. I have a separate set of discs that I used for putting on M-14s, due to the gouges that the nubs and s-hooks inflict.

I'm looking for something truly tournament worthy, in the "championship" category on that chart (good for A-tier/NT). At the very least, I'd want something in the "standard" category (good for B-tiers and below). But even for a B-tier, I think most folks would want a "real" basket.

I'm OK with spending a little more for a solid basket, and am familiar with the DGA/Discraft, and Innova baskets. I guess I'm more asking about the lesser known companies out there, and if they're as good or better.

Latest posts