• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Portland, OR area DG Courses?

Huckster

Anyone feel like enlightening me on Portland area courses and the weather?

My niece wants me to come visit her at Lewis and Clark before she graduates this May, and late February is the only time I can get there. I could either go for a weekend, and maybe play one round of golf, or I could go for maybe a full week, and spend 4 or 5 weekdays golfing. So here are the two questions...

Weather wise, what can I expect? Will it be cold and rainy all day every day? If so, I think that would get pretty old pretty quickly. But if the weather is 'patchy' (don't you call 'em 'sunbreaks' up there?) I'd go for it.

So if the weather's bearable, what courses would you recommend? I've got Pier Park, Horning's Hideout, and Milo McIver on the radar. (Is Timber Park worth stopping at when I play McIver?) Also possibly Trojan, Adair, and/or Dabney.

Note: I'm not a very skilled DG'er, with somewhat errant 200-250' drives, so the potential to lose all my plastic is a downer. Also, I'm highly allergic to poison oak, to the extent that if there's much of it, it becomes a distraction. (And of course, once I start thinking 'don't throw it in that patch of oak up there,' it's guaranteed that that's where it's going!)

Thanks much!

I know that Pier park only has 12 baskets up right now, do to erosion issues(still a beautiful course). I grew up in Vancouver WA, 10 min across the water from Portland. The weather will be cold but not freezing, as for rain, well it can come and go by the hour. I would just check weather reports. I've played Dabney, it was fun, the back 9 is pretty wooded and hole 2 is over water. Leverich park in Vancouver is worth a try, only 12 holes but a nice course for a beginner. Haven't played the others you listed yet. Enjoy

Weather wise, what can I expect? Will it be cold and rainy all day every day? If so, I think that would get pretty old pretty quickly. But if the weather is 'patchy' (don't you call 'em 'sunbreaks' up there?) I'd go for it.
It could be either one, honestly. And yes, we call them "sunbreaks." :)

So if the weather's bearable, what courses would you recommend? I've got Pier Park, Horning's Hideout, and Milo McIver on the radar. (Is Timber Park worth stopping at when I play McIver?) Also possibly Trojan, Adair, and/or Dabney.
Sounds like a very reasonable list. Timber is definitely worth it; it's only a couple miles from McIver, and I actually prefer it. (I'm guessing I'm in a minority there, though.)

Note: I'm not a very skilled DG'er, with somewhat errant 200-250' drives, so the potential to lose all my plastic is a downer.
Then skip Trojan; it's a pretty long drive anyway.

Also, I'm highly allergic to poison oak, to the extent that if there's much of it, it becomes a distraction.
The only course you mentioned that has much poison oak is Adair, and even then it's only a few holes... and in February it won't have leafed out yet.

Pier park?

Has anyone played here this week? I'm headed down to P-town, wondering if they put the 6 baskets back up?

"The only course you mentioned that has much poison oak is Adair, and even then it's only a few holes... and in February it won't have leafed out yet." - quote from above.

Poision Oak does not need to have leaves on it for you to get it. The bare branches still contain the toxic oil that can jack you up. Just wanted to make sure everyone knows this. Lucky for me, I'm not allergic. But for those of you who are, try to be aware that those unthreatening looking bare branches could actually bite.
DSCJNKY

I have been back to Portland since my last post. I played Dabney and Hornings Hideout and can strongly recommend both of them, with Dabney having a slight edge even though there are two (soon to be 3) courses at Hornings. When I return to the Portland area I will definately try to play these courses again... and would even go so far as to say that I would go back to these courses before I returned to Pier. Milo is another story; it's in a class of its own.
DSCJNKY