• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One day in Portland

Reviews of Pier have me concerned about crowding on a Friday afternoon. Thoughts?

That's always a concern for me there. That place gets busy, with big groups. And you kind of have to start at hole 1, the way the course is setup, without being a dick that is...

Early rounds there seem to be the way to go.

Looks like I'll be throwing my arm off and losing discs at Blue Lake. Is there a disc shop near any of these courses or the airport?

Play Pier before 11am on weekdays for max enjoyment. If you get there later and are solo join up with a group and enjoy some of the local chit chat. That being said, as a local, I avoid playing Pier altogether because of the crowds. So many great courses in the area though :)

Seriously considering it.

If you're still looking to play a course representative of courses in the PacNW, just go to Pier when you get in and take your chances with the crowd. Blue Lake is a great course, well worth playing, but it does not in any way represent a more typical PNW course. Honestly, it's alot of wide open fairways, with lots of tall grass OB, although the grass is not likely very tall right now.

You might have trouble trying to get to any other decent course than those two with Friday traffic and all, so those are probably your only two options today.

If you're still looking to play a course representative of courses in the PacNW, just go to Pier when you get in and take your chances with the crowd. Blue Lake is a great course, well worth playing, but it does not in any way represent a more typical PNW course. Honestly, it's alot of wide open fairways, with lots of tall grass OB, although the grass is not likely very tall right now.

You might have trouble trying to get to any other decent course than those two with Friday traffic and all, so those are probably your only two options today.
^this^
I've never had crowd issues playing there, no matter the time of day. Besides, when there are others around at Pier, they're all very cool ppl

I will second that Blue Lake is not representative of PNW disc golf courses. It's unique for Oregon and seems to be a style that some people don't enjoy. Personally, long courses don't bother me, it's just more throws! It's the uniqueness and different style of play that I love about Blue Lake. I love Par 4s and 5s. The OB is a challenge but not at all unfair, the fairways are plenty wide if you stay in them.

Still, if I were flying into PDX on a Friday afternoon with a few hours, Blue Lake is where I would choose to go. Pier is great, and if you don't mind a crowded course it's another choice for a Friday afternoon. When I stay in PDX and try to play Pier I go as early as possible and hope for less than great weather so I can get a round in with the time I have.

Thinking about it, even with the fading daylight, if this was me I'd make a run for Milo today. The twin 18s are the best Oregon has to offer and very representative of PNW disc golf.

Dabney and Rooster Rock aren't far from Blue Lake either. Both great courses if you're looking to mix stuff up a little.

Loved the front of Blue Lake. The back seemed like a "how do we get back to the lot? Oh, 920 foot holes." Had fun. Drinking beer at Wayfinder right now.

What are those smooth red berries growing on what looks like blackberry vines?

Drunkish imminent? :p

Too bad they don't have golf carts for Milo yet...

Last edited: