• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Post here being used to build cases against disc golf

Most of you in San Fran are nuts anyways. Heck you keep reelecting Nancy Pelosi for Chrips sake. How moronic can the avg person be?

i mean, i'm not an mba, (and we probably have some on the board) but really even a revenue of 10% more than expenses will see major profits in the long term.

as long as there is a profit each month, you're basically good. (and even breaking even initially is more than most businesses can expect)

Thanks for the tip...

Most of you in San Fran are nuts anyways. Heck you keep reelecting Nancy Pelosi for Chrips sake. How moronic can the avg person be?

Sounds like you've never been here ;)

SF is an awesome place, except for the 49ers fans...and that's coming from a southerner so...

So...you know that most people in San Francisco are not from here right? It's just the gathering point of NIMBYS and hipsters. You should thank such a gracious city for attracting those types away from your hometown ;)

I live in Portland---I doubt even San Fran can out-hipster Portlandia. Its horrible. :\

Portland Oregon, hipster douchebag capital of the United States and probably the world!! I've watched this city loose its edge for the last 20 years. Great golf though!

Probably because my brother moved there about 20 years ago. Sorry.

Probably because my brother moved there about 20 years ago. Sorry.

HA! It seems like the problem with Portland started with Everclear. Whatever that whole deal was was like a kill stroke of slow death. We do have a strong community and very good golf courses though. You win some and you lose some.

I like this plot as it is highly accessible for many people and the location could mean that it just might be profitable.

I was chatting with flabby daddy about this concept. Here's what we'd need:

- a group of investors (or a kickstarter) to come up with the down payment plus closing costs plus the 50k or so necessary to get the disc golf equipment, supplies (concrete tees, wooden retaining walls, steps, etc), and perhaps a simple clubhouse. Obviously if we want a real clubhouse we need a lot more money, permits, water, power, etc. It can be done, but it would require a more significant investment or a loan. I'd probably start very simple and build up through time.

- we'd need to pay at least two people to manage the property at all times, including mowing, running a pro shop with snacks and drinks, and any course maintenance.

- we'd need to come to a price point for a day pass to cover the mortgage/insurance/taxes (estimated at around $3200/month for this place) as well as annual passes for club members. Since we'd obviously make an epic course we'd need to charge at least $10 a head for a day pass, and $250 for an annual membership.

- The monthly income from the endeavor would have to double the amount necessary for the expenses (mortgage, employees, supplies, insurance, taxes) to make it worthwhile. If you could make 12k a month from the place, that's in the ballpark

-Obviously a lot of legal questions would have to be resolved/agreed upon prior to any sort of investment in the property. It is tough, but could be done.

Thoughts?
We'd need to have some

This is such an unproven model with high initial investment (land) that you'd need to reduce/spread the risk. Ultimately this is a real estate deal for your primary investor and less of an operating business investment. Your best bet would be to look at a lease model. A) Find an investor who is interested in acquiring the land and generating an income stream. Tenant leases the property and takes on all operating risk, including the expenses for setting up and operating the course. Tenant credit worthiness, potential collateral and viability of the business model is a major concern. But the primary investor protects downside risk by owning the land, which still has the potential to appreciate in value and be sold for development if needed. B) Alternative. Find someone who already owns land and interested in leasing a portion for a disc golf course.

You could protect the course through a longer lease of 10+yrs and some sort of 'right of first refusal' to purchase the land outright at the end of the term if needed. Would be great to get a longer term lease with favorable terms, but it would be difficult to make it attractive to all parties.

Anything more than this and you're looking to hit the lottery to find someone who loves disc golf, has too much money and doesn't invest it wisely.

Last edited:
For those that have followed the saga of McLaren Park, I ran across this is todays sfgate.

Wonder how the fine folks at SMP are reacting to this proposal?

"Along with the city's Recreation and Park Department, SF Urban Riders is hoping to build a $2 million bike park at McLaren, with jumps, ramps, rollers and other X Games-like features."

:\

For those that have followed the saga of McLaren Park, I ran across this is todays sfgate.

Wonder how the fine folks at SMP are reacting to this proposal?

"Along with the city's Recreation and Park Department, SF Urban Riders is hoping to build a $2 million bike park at McLaren, with jumps, ramps, rollers and other X Games-like features."

:\

It depends on if they enjoy mountain biking. If they do then it will be great and they will be behind it. If they don't bike themselves then it will be an action that should be punishable by death. Thats what you get with dope smoking hippies.

It depends on if they enjoy mountain biking. If they do then it will be great and they will be behind it. If they don't bike themselves then it will be an action that should be punishable by death. Thats what you get with dope smoking hippies.

I thought dope smoking hippies love disc golf?

I do find it amusing that this group put in a lot of time and effort to stop the installation of a DG course, which would have a small impact on the surrounding environment, only to possibly have a 2 million dollar bike park installed instead.

I thought dope smoking hippies love disc golf?

I do find it amusing that this group put in a lot of time and effort to stop the installation of a DG course, which would have a small impact on the surrounding environment, only to possibly have a 2 million dollar bike park installed instead.

The bike park will not endanger pedestrians who aren't specifically in the bike park. How much acreage is the bike park going to take up vs. the disc golf course?

Ummm, ok.

I was playing my local course the other day. There were a bunch of adult soccer games going on and the course borders some of the fields. At hole 2 two I run a across a couple of these soccer guys burnin one. Thought that was funny.

if you think disc golf is unsafe, i would hate to see how cautious you live the rest of your life.

might as well not drive cuz you probably will get hit by a car and die!!!