• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Power in practice, PANSY on the course

antihyzerjc

Hey guys. Im getting back into DG after almost 2 years off. Back in the good ol days i was playing -5 to even. Now my card looks like the bogus numbers id get from chicks in my single days. I know that time and practice will get me back where I want to be. Unfortunately thats the problem. When im practicing in the field im beasting it. Hyzer, Anny long and where I want it. On the course though its a different story. No power. Awkward feeling in the throw. And ZERO consistency. Im thinking iys a footwork issue. A buddy suggested taping off a "teebox" and using a mini. Anything else to transfer my confidence and success in practice to the course

antihyzerjc said:
Hey guys. Im getting back into DG after almost 2 years off. Back in the good ol days i was playing -5 to even. Now my card looks like the bogus numbers id get from chicks in my single days. I know that time and practice will get me back where I want to be. Unfortunately thats the problem. When im practicing in the field im beasting it. Hyzer, Anny long and where I want it. On the course though its a different story. No power. Awkward feeling in the throw. And ZERO consistency. Im thinking iys a footwork issue. A buddy suggested taping off a "teebox" and using a mini. Anything else to transfer my confidence and success in practice to the course
Are your local courses too busy to bring your practices there? Field practice is key but maybe you should do both field and course work in the same day and perhaps the problem will be more clear. Course practice being dumping your bag on a hole. Heh, dumping bags on a hole...

The difference might be that with no target/direction you can pump discs out into a field better when your mind is free. When you're at a tee box your mind is looking for lines to reach whatever target is in front of you and maybe when your mind isn't free your confidence wanes.

It's funny, because I used to have the opposite problem. I could throw 400' easily so long as the available line was tight through opening between trees and such. But then get me out in a field, and I would struggle to get to 350'! Crazy, isn't it? What I eventually figured out was that getting the disc on the right angles at release was easier when the constraints were in my face, but not so easy when there was no constraints. Careful, relaxed, clean release, following through the whip, etc., all come from dedicating yourself to hitting a line with the correct angles.

What about your opposite problem? I don't know. Can't say, really, but you'll definitely get past it, you can be assured of that.

Confidence may play an issue and like JHern aiming too. I'm guilty of having too much field practice for the amount of holes played. I noticed that last year and increased played holes and got better finesse. Not just ripping aimlessly at full power. OK i wasn't ripping totally aimlessly even on open field but i certainly aimed and focused mentally better when i was on the tee. YMMV and people are different so who knows what's going on in your mind? Practicing on a hole throwing more than one disc and if possible identical discs in a row could give you a clue about where the problem lies.

Latest posts