• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro Starfire and Old Pro Valk questions

schla104

Par Member
I've been using the Pro Starfire as my primary driver since it came out. I love it. When it gets beaten in, it still fills a spot in my bag. The problem is how fast they get beaten in especially when it is the main driver. I'm looking for something that will fly the same as a new Pro Starfire (RHFH) that will hold up a little longer. I was thinking just a Star Starfire but I know sometimes just changing the plastic changes the disc in general. I've heard these and the Champ Starfires are noticeably more overstable than the Pro. A friend of mine recommended I try a Crush. Any suggestions?

Also, while playing North Valley Park, I found a Pro Valk but it was the old Pro plastic, the stuff that was more like Champ plastic. I threw it and I love it. It flies extremely nice and straight for me with very little fade at the end. The downside is that it has ink on it and I need to return it or at least try. I just was wondering if there is anything very close to this disc that is available now? Is the Champ Valk close or not really?

Pro beats in way faster than Star, if I was you, I'd give the Star Starfire a chance.

save your beat pro starfires, because you said they always find a spot in your bag.

buy an SL....a.k.a star starfire-L it'll be similar in flight to your pro starfire and will hold those characteristics longer ;)

if the valk your speaking of has a PRO line stamp and is opaque, then you can safely buy a champ valk.

If you do buy a Star SL, check the flashing on the bottom. The 1st few runs had mad flashing, and really needed sanded off to fly like Pro Starfires. Otherwise, they're just meat hooks with no glide.

Thanks I'll try the Star Starfire-L.

As for the Valk, it is transparent turquoise. I think it says JK Pro on it. I don't have it right in front of me at the moment though.

Just to make sure everyone is on the same page, there are two "Starefire" molds, the L and the X. The Pro Starfire is a Starfire-L. The Star version is called the SL. The normal Champ, DX and Star discs labled "Starfire" are the X mold.

There are some CFR SL's in existence as well as some CFR old mold Stafires as well, but those will all have custom stamps, AFAIK.

If you want to stick with the Starfire molds you can try out the DX Starfire. It will probably beat in at least as fast as your Pro Starfires but will start off a bit more overstable.

Otherwise, I'd check out the Star Valk, X Avenger or ESP Flash.

One advantage to a disc like the Starfire-X and Avenger is that you can carry them in multiple plastics and cover both your moderately overstable and distance driver spots with one mold.

schla104 said:
As for the Valk, it is transparent turquoise. I think it says JK Pro on it. I don't have it right in front of me at the moment though.

A Champ Valk is the closest approximation for this. I think they fly the same.

you will love a CFR Starfire-L more than the Star SL. You can get them on ebay from LSDiscs and some others places too. I've seen a few on trade lists.

Also, there may still be one in the lake at Lions Park in Shokopee.

I wouldn't pay for CFR to throw...blech. too much money. SLs will go flat a long way with an easy S. As the break in, they're a good hyzer flip disc.

schla104 said:
I've been using the Pro Starfire as my primary driver since it came out. I love it. When it gets beaten in, it still fills a spot in my bag. The problem is how fast they get beaten in especially when it is the main driver. I'm looking for something that will fly the same as a new Pro Starfire (RHFH) that will hold up a little longer. I was thinking just a Star Starfire but I know sometimes just changing the plastic changes the disc in general.

Quick note for you, and those who aren't aware of this.

The Pro Starfire IS the SL. Look at the bottom half of the disc and compare it to both the Starfire (star or champ) and the Star SL.

The Starfire (star and champ) is concave. The SL and Pro Starfire are flat.

all the star sls are nothing compared to the pro sl, they fly a lot different imo. it could be because the flashing but i threw mine in the sell box after 2 rounds, I might switch back to the sl's again, I have yet to find a replacement for turnovers hyzerflips and roller disc. it's like the nonfat yogurt in seinfield.

Takeichi said:
all the star sls are nothing compared to the pro sl, they fly a lot different imo. it could be because the flashing but i threw mine in the sell box after 2 rounds, I might switch back to the sl's again, I have yet to find a replacement for turnovers hyzerflips and roller disc. it's like the nonfat yogurt in seinfield.

Trust me, it's the flashing. I sanded it off one of mine when I though Starfires, and it flew like a CFR.