• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy D1 and D4 Impressions

It looked like they tried to grind down excessive flashing at the parting line and got side tracked and ground it down too far. It appeared that they needed a bit of "polishing" to remove th flashing there...and I wonder why brand new molds aren't fitting together tighter.

1978 your friend has what is known in the manufacturing world as a short shot. and if the Charlotte/Pineville stock is nothing but short shots this is not good for Prodigy.

I am not convinced that is a short shot. It almost looks like an inexperienced trim job. Trimming discs is an art form and takes a LONG time to perfect if you are doing it by hand. Being a new company, I would assume that Prodigy probably doesn't have a mechanized trimmer or an experienced hand trimmer on staff. Since they were pressed for time to release as many discs as possible, they more than likely allowed some "X-OUTS" to slip through the cracks to help fill out orders. PIAS would seem like the logical choice to send the crappy discs to...

Well if its not a complete downpour when I get out of work I'm going to try and film a couple of max D throws with these guys.

It looked like they tried to grind down excessive flashing at the parting line and got side tracked and ground it down too far. It appeared that they needed a bit of "polishing" to remove th flashing there...and I wonder why brand new molds aren't fitting together tighter.

d1_zps134be5d5.jpg

Would removal of flashing still look as clean? Can you really polish this plastic?!? I'm no expert but it looks like a molding flaw. The comment about the plastic injecting slowly makes sense to me.

I'd be choked if I ordered that disc and it was shipped to me, sight-unseen.

d1_zps134be5d5.jpg

Would removal of flashing still look as clean? Can you really polish this plastic?!? I'm no expert but it looks like a molding flaw. The comment about the plastic injecting slowly makes sense to me.

Might be a trick of the light in the picture. It sure looked like a bad trim to me...
I've said this before, but the PIAS in Charlotte is top notch and sells lots of discs. It would be poor form to send bad product FOR ANY REASON. Especially to Innova's back yard. Its all speculation now, obviously, but if Prodigy sent out bad product on purpose...

Some people are getting discs like that sight unseen. We haven't heard from any of the online retailers, I bet they have had to hold bad product out and not ship to customers. For most of us, we will get that QA buffer because places like Sunking, Marshall Street, and Clearwater double check discs to ensure they dont have a downgrade in image. The PIAS in Charlotte had a stack they wouldn't sell to return.

Im in LOVE with the d4 !!! No clue what the "easy release tech" is or does but it flys long and very nice and flippy to be 180g out of the box!

Last edited:
I also saw/heard some of the pias Prodigy discs came in a OVAL shape they weren't even circular discs at ALL. A buddy said a stack had to be sent back due to sevear flaws/ factory defects.

I also saw/heard some of the pias Prodigy discs came in a OVAL shape they weren't even circular discs at ALL. A buddy said a stack had to be sent back due to sevear flaws/ factory defects.

HAHAHAHAHAAHA Oval Discs... Maybe thats how they are Taking Disc Golf to the Next LeveL ... I now know I will not own one of these discs. Maybe if I was given one to throw I'd try it but... So far all Ive gotten out of these threads about Prodigy Disc (Taking Disc Golf to the NEXT LeveL) is the D4 is awesome because it flies like a Katana and the D1 isnt anything special. Whoopadidooo~ If I buy a Katana online it may not be like another one but at least it doesnt look like I tried to make it with tools I have in the Shop!

Actually its not Grass season yet maybe I should try to melt some Tupperware lids together with a torch and mold them into a disc like thing...

Yes the D1 is any other overstable disc of its kind easy release is a bunch of bs hulabalu

I just got a D4 and have not been able to throw it but once. What do you think speed and glide are on these and the D1's? I know its kinda a Innova rating system and flawed, but just for ****'s and giggles....

I just got a D4 and have not been able to throw it but once. What do you think speed and glide are on these and the D1's? I know its kinda a Innova rating system and flawed, but just for ****'s and giggles....

I'd say speed 12, glide 5.

Im in LOVE with the d4 !!! No clue what the "easy release tech" is or does but it flys long and very nice and flippy to be 180g out of the box!

So if I'm reading this right - the D4, even at a "high" weights (say 172-180g) are still flying (in your tests/throws/opinions/thoughts, etc.) with a good amount of turn?

I traditionally like my drivers in the 165-168g. range, so I was holding off on trying the D4 until the production run came around (hoping that they will mold some 160's for non-God-arms like me) because everything looks like it is 172+ so far...

However... you're saying/eluding to the fact that the "heavies" might fly like what you'd expect out of a lighter disc?

I didn't like the feel of the plastic. For me, it seemed not grippy at all and very slippery in my hand. But for others (perhaps different hand chemistries at work?), they said it felt very grippy and awesome. I did watch several people throw it, including the current women's world champion (there you go Sarah), the 2011 masters champ, and a young up and comer with a huge arm. They were easily going 450-500 with the big arms. So there's definitely traction amongst the worlds best players. But maybe not for me...

d1_zps134be5d5.jpg

the lump and warping are classic signs of a short shot.

Short_shot.jpg

So if I'm reading this right - the D4, even at a "high" weights (say 172-180g) are still flying (in your tests/throws/opinions/thoughts, etc.) with a good amount of turn?

I traditionally like my drivers in the 165-168g. range, so I was holding off on trying the D4 until the production run came around (hoping that they will mold some 160's for non-God-arms like me) because everything looks like it is 172+ so far...

However... you're saying/eluding to the fact that the "heavies" might fly like what you'd expect out of a lighter disc?

My D4 is marked 174 (who knows how much it scales) and it has good turn but still fades. My first throw with it, with a 10mph left to right wind, started left of a wide open, 405ft hole, turned about 30 feet to the right of it, and then landed directly in line with the pin about 25 short. I threw it as flat as I could, RHBH. hopefully that isn't too confusing

I threw it later with a 10-15mph tailwind with a little hyzer, it flipped up to flat, flew straight, and faded forwardly to about 400ft

I got these from dgc last week, they seem to be a lot cleaner then the local ones from pias, even though the stamps are not 100% perfect. Weights on each of them were 1 gram heavier then marked. I haven't thrown them, just adding them to my collection. I dont have huge expectations for a magic Prodigy disc but hope they are able to do better then they've shown so far.

IMG_0278_zps464b3e84.jpg

IMG_0277_zps52b69dd1.jpg