• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy D1 and D4 Impressions

Hold these discs upside down at eye level and look at the inside corner of the rim. I could see fairly easily the very small rounded off edge of the mold. While I dont notice much difference when actually throwing it, I think you can just tell when you pull your fingers across the rim that it's a little different than most drivers.

I don't know how they can patent the easy release technology since the undertow already has it

I don't know how they can patent the easy release technology since the undertow already has it

It's trademarked, not patented. I wish trademarks required the party to explain in writing what exactly is being trademarked. Is it a particular radius size on the bottom edge, movement of the parting line, etc. What stops the next manufacturer from releasing a disc with QRT, Quick Release Technology, applying similar design characteristics of the Prodigy discs?

"trademark" simply refers to the name of the process in which the good is produced. "copywright" is the rights of said name or work in print.

Trademarks and Copywrights are extremely easy to get. Just fill out a sheet, send in some money and you got it. Patents are much, much harder to get...but easier to defend in court.

Anyway, my buddy geofflaw got his two Prodigy's yesterday. he has yet to throw them but I am holding the D1 as I type this. The D1 looks like some super beef. Big rim, high dome...it's a 175 and feels all of that weight. The plastic also doesn't feel as CE-esque as the D4. I can tell, without even throwing it, that I am not at a high enough skill level to throw this thing. It looks like a true pro-level driver. Obviously, guys like MikeC can put this thing on crush, but I'll hold off.

The D4 seems much more apt to my skill level. Very little dome, and my friends 172 feels about 5-10 grams lighter. The plastic is fery fingerprinty...it's NOT old CE, but it's not too far off either. It just feels right in my hand, and I usually don't throw understable stuff. It looks like a winner for more skill levels than the D1.

Sorry if there is a thread for this but I didn't see one.

I got about 5 or 6 throws in with each of these discs, FH and BH.

The plastic is extremely nice. Slightly flexible, very, very grippy for champion. They put out avery nice feeling champ style blend.

My D1 is blue and marked 172g. It flew like a Discmania DD with superior glide and distance but still what felt like a 0 HSS. Rather turn resistant but still solid D.

The D4 is marked 174g. It flew more along the lines of a Katana or worn Wraith. FH (Less power than my BH) on a hard, flat rip, it would turn over a touch, gliide a ton, then fade reliably. BH took me a few throws to dial in but once I did I was able to shape a ton of lines. Turnovers that fly low and come back at the end, huge sky turnovers that hold to the ground and some flattened hyzers. This is the longest flying disc I've thrown and I ha e never had such an effortless time hitting the 450-500' mark. I am excited to test this one in better conditions because it absolutely bombs on an 80% power throw with a touch of hyzer. It's looooong.

Excited to try each out some more. I see the D4 being the perfect compliment to my Quasars. The D1 is nice but it's pretty much a slightly shorter fresh Quasar from what I saw.

Obviously further testing will be required of each before I can really solidify my opinion of them, but so far they are both looking like solid molds.

Uh oh, Mike likes it. Now lets see what % of prodigy haters change their tune

*cough* *cough* plus rim *cough*
No

Threw the D1 yesterday, grippy plastic, and it was pretty overstable but I didn't really see anything that would get me to switch off a destroyer. I finally have some actual pictures off the wonderful Prodigy quality.

D1 poorly ground/formed rim v buzzz SS...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2013-01-29 12.34.06.jpg
    2013-01-29 12.34.06.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 618
  • 2013-01-29 12.33.51.jpg
    2013-01-29 12.33.51.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 617
1978, sure it wasn't a "tree" shaving of the disc? was this a brand new one, or a tester one (either way shouldn't have been allowed to be seen) just interesting.

Threw the D1 yesterday, grippy plastic, and it was pretty overstable but I didn't really see anything that would get me to switch off a destroyer. I finally have some actual pictures off the wonderful Prodigy quality.

I have two D1s and two D4s and have nothing like that.

attachment.php

attachment.php

WOW and people complain about INNOVA? That just looks like Cheap Garbage!

Last edited:
Based on everything I am hearing, these discs were everything I hoped for and more! can't wait to add the entire line to my bag to test, they seem really promising for my driving since I am primarily forehand.

Mine don't look like that, sucks yours do. Had a chance to throw them, or you gonna try to return them?

Yesterday me and my buddy compared the Prodigy discs to some CE eagles of various wear. They seem to have similar grip, but don't feel exactly the same. It's one of the closest blends to CE we've all felt and everyone liked the plastic feel.

They also mentioned there was drama with the company. FYI I don't know a single thing about that or Prodigy, I was just asked to test these drivers and I'm doing that. But I can tell you I'm bagging D4's.

Where did you buy that from 1978?

It wasn't my disc...it was a friends. It was from PIAS in Charlotte, many of the discs shipped to Charlotte looked like this. He didn't have much choice, when he went to get them there was less than 20 left and most had varying degrees of imperfections. He decided he didn't care. His D4 was OK but still had the fuzzy cheap looking stamp that I've seen on a lot of the pictures. Its wasn't flaking or smeared like some have seen but it doesnt have the clean lines that you see from other manufactures...

It wasn't my disc...it was a friends. It was from PIAS in Charlotte, many of the discs shipped to Charlotte looked like this. He didn't have much choice, when he went to get them there was less than 20 left and most had varying degrees of imperfections. He decided he didn't care. His D4 was OK but still had the fuzzy cheap looking stamp that I've seen on a lot of the pictures. Its wasn't flaking or smeared like some have seen but it doesnt have the clean lines that you see from other manufactures...

That's pretty jank. But if your buddy saw it and inspected it before buying, then he can't really complain. If I'd seen that, then I'm not plopping $ down for that particular disc. Or if I'd ordered it sight unseen, and it came in like that, it would be quickly returned. I don't care how much hype a new disc has around it, if I see it and it's busted, then it's busted and I don't want it.

That said, all the ones that I saw looked fine and felt great. No problems with blemishes or worn stamps.... definitely no dents in the wing. I don't need any high speed drivers, but if I did I would surely be tempted to try these when stock production (and prices) hit stores. I do look forward to seeing mids and putters in that plastic, though.

has anybody noticed a difference in stability between the clearer yellow d4's and the more opaque greenish ones? the yellow ones that i saw looked to have a hair higher plh, didn't know if they have all come out like that across the board or what.

anybody remove the bottom flashing yet? if so how much stability did either mold lose?

I think I read somewhere (maybe over at DGR) that the plastic blend used for original CE flowed really slowly into the mold and took a longer time to mold period. Prodigy may have gotten something similar but are trying to run the process faster than what the raw material allows for. 1978 your friend has what is known in the manufacturing world as a short shot. and if the Charlotte/Pineville stock is nothing but short shots this is not good for Prodigy.

has anybody noticed a difference in stability between the clearer yellow d4's and the more opaque greenish ones? the yellow ones that i saw looked to have a hair higher plh, didn't know if they have all come out like that across the board or what.

anybody remove the bottom flashing yet? if so how much stability did either mold lose?

I have a clear and an opaque one. I've gotten maybe three throws in with them side by side (much more with the opaque one on its own) and didn't notice any immediate difference in flight.