• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy D5

I'm wondering if you guys are aware that they duplicated.....

T H E. G R O O V E.

No? Didn't see that in the comments.

Prodigy cloned the Groove. Pics later.

That's what I was told by a Prodigy guy that people would say! But he said that it is not a Groove. I haven't seen them but he said there was a difference. TIFWIW

That's what I was told by a Prodigy guy that people would say! But he said that it is not a Groove. I haven't seen them but he said there was a difference. TIFWIW
Haha, that's funny!

I was actually just being a rabble-rouser, before I could snap some photos.

It looks like a really good design. ZJ and I agree that it doesn't deserve a Groove stigma, and it's not a clone at all.

Pics below.
Here's the thing... the Groove has these impossibly exact sharp forms and long narrow span before the nose. It needs a flying buttress is what it needs. But the D5 truly is like a stretched Gazelle -- it has a continuous form up to an elongated round notch. It looks like a design that could mold up consistently.

Hopefully it's a known fact that there ARE good Grooves, but it's a tough mold to make consistently and so there are more bad than good ones. The D5 addresses that. It's the most old-school design I've seen in a distance driver, especially near the max speed class. Haven't thrown one, and it's outside my arm, but it looks like it'll be a good disc.

Yellow D5 vs purple Groove
QZeaKKK.jpg

Great pics of an interesting design and capturing the tastiness that is 400 plastic.

I'm guessing its going to take some getting used to the feel unless the Prodigy gurus will it to mesh with your grip. I felt the same way about the F7 and it seemed okay the few throws I had with one.

Almost looks Spectra-ish, emphasis on ish.

It's a consistent groove. Flippy disc but will be a a straight distance driver for noodle arms.

The rim is that way so that it can meet weight requirements. It's suppose to be like a RR but it couldn't have that large beveled rim because it would then be too heavy.

Disc felt okay. Didn't throw it but it seemed to always flip and turn for a guy that throws 475 easy.

It looks closer to a groove than a gazelle to me.

stir the pot a bit huh?... :D

Its a similar idea to the groove and possibly the idea behind both shapes relate to the beautiful flight of discs shaped like the gazelle and cheetah

Made out of 400ky Plastic. It's smooth and silky to the touch. The Proto D5 is now known as the F6. 300 plastic is made out of old pencil erasers. Each disc is crafted to perfection then jammed into boxes so that the rims all get little dented flat ends on them. 750 plastic will be made entirely of stainless steel and blood diamonds. The next disc released will be the M9 then the E4...which is a new disc that's intended to escape from your hands into the nearest lake, pond, or correctional institution. FAKE AND GAY you not homo RON PAUL 2016

Try less hard

I've got no dog in the fight but I like how they are thinking a little different with some of their designs. The f7 looks odd for being the under stable fairway but grip and flight wise its not a bad disc. Sure this looks like a groove rip off, but you gotta give them a little credit for giving a go at a good design idea that suffered due to poor execution. Maybe they can do a better job of it than innova did. And I'll vouch that there were good grooves made, I had a couple of proto stars and ecos that were long and flew as advertised.

Part of me thinks all the groove hate comes from the online dg hipsters who see the chuckers carrying fly dye grooves so they gotta talk trash to improve their dg online street cred.

Got some time in at the field with a D5 yesterday. I also threw Prodigy's other drivers for comparison. The D5 I bought is 167g in 400G and pretty in pink. The 400G is very supple and as peculiar as the rim configuration looks, it doesn't feel odd, quite comfortable actually, this is especially true for forehanding. The D5 is very under stable, considerably more so than the D4 and every bit as fast, maybe even faster(?). Very straight when flipped up. Will hold a turn to the ground, and is easy to get down when rolling. A good addition to Prodigy's lineup all and all and I'm checking off that slot as filled.

Just saw that there are more pink fundraisers on e-bay. Really like mine. The lighting is bad in the e-bay photo. Trust me though, They are pink.

Any other reviews on this??? I bought one and it seemed More stable than my D4's! Did I get a freak one? Mine is the 400s plastic, clearish orange.

Any other reviews on this??? I bought one and it seemed More stable than my D4's! Did I get a freak one? Mine is the 400s plastic, clearish orange.

Who knows? Prodigy is all over the place. How far are you throwing it?

So far my D5 flies like my beaten in D4. A good amount of high speed turn and a relative amount of low speed fade. It's easy to hyzer flip to straight, throw on a turnover shot, and is surprisingly controllable for a speed 13. Thrown flat and fast, it needs some height and a bit of room to work from side to side. Still throwing it and trying to figure it out...

I just ordered a Prodigy Groove to try out. 172 and light blue. Will let you all know what I think when I get it. I'll throw it against a real Groove as well.

Latest posts