• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Disc Thread v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 bucks MAX.

That's what they NEED to sell them at to compete. Then the retailers could raise the price accordingly based on what they need their profit margin to be.

Prodigy would be foolish to overprice their product.

I actually don't want untrained kids doing quality control. I don't think any of them have an engineering degree or experience in an ISO/TS environment. I doubt any DG company is ISO certified nor should they be but true quality control is about documentation and proper metrology. I would however like to see good metrology implemented in all of our manufacturers. but they don't care enough to do so since we (informed forum posters) only represent about 1% of the disc buying population.

That's what I thought you'd say. No, Lightning had some numbered discs, but they did not have a D1, D2, D3, or D4:

Disc Golf Sweden: http://discgolfsweden.se/discar/dis...ufacturer=Lightning Discs&DiscLine=-1&Type=-1

inbounds Disc Golf: http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431

The Midnight flyers were all numbered too. Discmania has discs that are initialed numbered as well. I don't think anybody is (successfully) suing anybody.

Do we know for a fact that these are the 'official' names of the discs? Could simply be prototype designators.

Edit: Oops, I see they're PDGA approved w/ those names

Last edited:
^^^This

With two kids, $$$ is always tight.

Please take what i'm posting as little more then speculation. I have no idea what the pricing points are. I just know what I would be willing to pay for a consistent top of the line disc. They may never release the test plastic I've thrown. I really have no facts and i'll be the first to admit that.

I was told it was OK for me to talk about the disc's I've thrown and my thoughts on them.

Those prices would remove them from "impulse buy" territory into the realm of "carefully weighed purchase."

$30 disc being my speculation much later on. In reality it's only my pipe dream of sorts. When people go and get a NFL football, NHL hockey puck, MLB baseball they know what product they are getting every time. I would like to be able to buy disc's in that same way and would be happy to pay a premium for that type quality.

This bottom rim talk is scary. So is it like a +mold type thing? Does anybody have first hand experience with it?

If its something that can't be discussed yet by people in the know, "I can't talk about it yet" is also an acceptable answer :thmbup:

It's not a + mold and nothing like DKG.

-Chris

Chris,
How many of these Prodigy discs did you actually throw? Have you been throwing them on a regular basis? Not trying to be a dick, just curious.

I actually don't want untrained kids doing quality control. I don't think any of them have an engineering degree or experience in an ISO/TS environment. I doubt any DG company is ISO certified nor should they be but true quality control is about documentation and proper metrology. I would however like to see good metrology implemented in all of our manufacturers. but they don't care enough to do so since we (informed forum posters) only represent about 1% of the disc buying population.

I agree with you 100%. If I ever decide to create a disc, I will pay someone else to mold them in a facility that is ISO certified and do exactly what you have stated. Another implementation could be lot tracability. Remember that awesome first run? It would be easy to recreate if you had the proper documentation in place. I have a feeling the only criteria present to releasing currently manufactured discs is visual inspection.

Last edited:
Chris,
How many of these Prodigy discs did you actually throw? Have you been throwing them on a regular basis? Not trying to be a dick, just curious.

I've field tested 8 disc's in 3 models in 3 different types of plastic. From what I was told while throwing them I had the D1, D3, and D4. I have more field time with the D4 than any of the others. I do not have them in my bag and have not thrown them on any type of regular basis.

Now that I've been given the OK, I will be putting what I have in the bag for a few real rounds. I'm really in the same boat everyone else is in, because I would be stupid to loose what I have. I would much rather get some production runs / stock stamps.

To recap, my experience is very limited with Prodigy disc's.

-Chris

Maybe by "quality control" the person meant that they're giving detailed, granular input about flight, feel, etc.

I agree that being able to throw a disc awesome wouldn't necessarily make for good quality control in the way "qualitiy control" is meant to be used in the maufacturing sense.

I've field tested 8 disc's in 3 models in 3 different types of plastic. From what I was told while throwing them I had the D1, D3, and D4. I have more field time with the D4 than any of the others. I do not have them in my bag and have not thrown them on any type of regular basis.

Now that I've been given the OK, I will be putting what I have in the bag for a few real rounds. I'm really in the same boat everyone else is in, because I would be stupid to loose what I have. I would much rather get some production runs / stock stamps.

To recap, my experience is very limited with Prodigy disc's.

-Chris

Sound like you have a couple of these discs. Any chance you can snap a pic of the rim to clear up some of these questions about it?

Let's try to keep this one on topic, mmm-K?

I didn't feel like wading through 19 pages of kool-ade and butt talk to figure out if anybody had any info on the other disc offerings, such as putters and mids. Anybody have any details on these plates?

This would be better suited for the equipment section if you want details on equipment. I believe you shut that thread down because there was already an existing thread about this topic and then you go and start your very own thread about it :doh:

Think about the possibilities if these players are in on the production. no more asking for existing molds or tweaks or diff plastics. these dudes (and gals) can literally create the disc they want. they are owners in the biz. thats a unique opportunity.

Whose to say that this wasn't the deal from the start? Maybe some of these young guns got together and decided they wanted to do things their way, and found some deep pockets to bankroll it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts