• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Disc Thread v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is very true. But i'd also counter with the fact the Prodigy told us exactly what they're rolling out and when, and has yet to deviate from that. It's not like when we "hear" about a new MVP release and hold our breath waiting for release info.

Prodigy made themselves known on Jan. 1st. Said, "This is who we are. Here is what we hope to do with our discs by Spring." And that doesn't seem to be good enough for some people. I'm just curious as to why.

Actually, this is very similar to what MVP has done. The Volt was approved, to much hype. Then, it was released later as the company worked on upgrading its machinery.

Prodigy discs were approved on 1/1 (and leaked much earlier) to much hype, and are being released later.

In the case of both companies, many on here were clamoring for more more more before the time came. It's the nature of the beast.

I don't think Prodigy did much "hyping themselves". I think these message boards took care of that for them.

The players and their choreographed announcements on social media started the ignition, but DGCR certainly put this baby in the fast lane.

Prodigy made themselves known on Jan. 1st. Said, "This is who we are. Here is what we hope to do with our discs by Spring." And that doesn't seem to be good enough for some people. I'm just curious as to why.

It would help if they had their own website online by now, but that is my only serious complaint at this point. The fact that they had people leaking out hints of amazing news on January 1, with all the speculation on the mystery that those "in the know" practically invited us to engage in, the bar was set awfully high. I doubt this kind of expectation of all beng revealed at once Jan. 1 was part of the founders' original plan, but now that it turned out that way, it is what it is, and we can only wait and see how they adjust their PR strategy from here. I could be wrong, but I bet they didn't anticipate the reaction they got.

what is the URL for prodigy's website?

Edit: nevermind, read above post. . .no website? seriously? is this a real business or what? pm me, Ill put something together in a weekend. . .

Last edited:
no website? seriously? is this a real business or what? pm me, Ill put something together in a weekend. . .

I would be amazed if they aren't already paying a professional web developer to have the site online a week ago. I guess they want it fully functional before they publish it. I can understand not wanting to rush and publish a site with half the content missing just to get something out there.

Actually, this is very similar to what MVP has done. The Volt was approved, to much hype. Then, it was released later as the company worked on upgrading its machinery.
The Volt was a total fluke because of the factory upgrade -- look at the Amp announcement for clues as to how it'll go down in the future. That disc was a secret for ~14 months, and the name and release date were announced together. Day 1 of "MVP Amp" existing in the universe -- we gave out the name, generalized flight/class info, disc profile, and in-store date all at once.

In the case of both companies, many on here were clamoring for more more more before the time came. It's the nature of the beast.
I recognize this, and I've decided that the hype cycle for disc golf is insanely slim. That's why MVP keeps such a good secret, because in short order that hype becomes counterproductive. We'd planned a 5-day hype on the Amp and suddenly had to shorten it to more like 6-8 hours. Turns out that was just right. Who's interested in timely DG news?.. a few thousand people who communicate directly, daily. There's no spiderweb of rumor mills to spread info... essentially there are 2-3 degrees of separation between the majority of interested parties and the company reps with info to release.

This is still frisbee and I don't expect every company to launch straight into Fortune 500 Fabulous mode. Prodigy was timeboxed with their emphasis on sponsorship contracts. They've been straightforward IMO. No problem allowing them to develop. Nothing to be mad about.

tl;dr: Dudes be passionate about frisbees. Good!

c'mon they are disc golfers, they just got some new plastic. they are throwing it!!! it will happen when it happens and no sooner....

It would help if they had their own website online by now...
TimG asked me for my Prodigy contact info so he could try to get them to start an official thread on here. I'm guessing that hasn't gone anywhere yet. The no-info on the website blows my mind.

I would be amazed if they aren't already paying a professional web developer to have the site online a week ago. I guess they want it fully functional before they publish it. I can understand not wanting to rush and publish a site with half the content missing just to get something out there.

I would bet they have someone in house that thinks they know what they're doing. If they had a professional web developer, the site would be finished.

In the business world today you should have your website functional from day one. No excuses.

I'm launching a new radio station this spring. You can bet we'll have the website functional before we go on air.

I would bet they have someone in house that thinks they know what they're doing. If they had a professional web developer, the site would be finished.

In the business world today you should have your website functional from day one. No excuses.

I'm launching a new radio station this spring. You can bet we'll have the website functional before we go on air.

That is surprising. You can have the website totally built before you even launch it officially ...

Things seem to move rather quickly in the world of disc golf....

Tell TimG to private message me and I will put him in contact with
the person at Prodigy who will be the official spokesperson for Prodigy
on DGCR.

Take care and enjoy the Prodigy Discs when you get your hands on one.
Take care

I get the notion the website was in the works and on schedule but rocketing to 4k likes on FB and having 70k views on two main threads here (with a half dozen others that got molded in) made them rethink their website launch. It's entirely possible they were worried about serious crash issues and lagging from traffic.

The Volt was a total fluke because of the factory upgrade -- look at the Amp announcement for clues as to how it'll go down in the future. That disc was a secret for ~14 months, and the name and release date were announced together. Day 1 of "MVP Amp" existing in the universe -- we gave out the name, generalized flight/class info, disc profile, and in-store date all at once.

If I am not mistaken they had to move up the Amp realease because someone spotted it in the PDGA approved discs list?

Disc golf reminds me a lot of beer drinking - there's alway a new IPA on the horizon, or a new disc, and the price will be affordable. It's nice to live like kings in certain realms.

Disc golf reminds me a lot of beer drinking - there's alway a new IPA on the horizon, or a new disc, and the price will be affordable. It's nice to live like kings in certain realms.

That's a fantastic analogy, especially as I sit here drinking craft beer and disc shopping online.

I'll pay anywhere from $8 to $15 bucks for an IPA, Porter, etc.

Does this translate/equate to disc purchases? I'll buy one or two of the prodigy discs th day they are released.....no doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.