• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Disc Thread v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said in the other thread, that video went a bit over the top for me. I laughed good and hard for the first minute or so, then it's basically a love letter to Doss from a guy with too much time on his hands. Mostly I feel bad for Feldberg and McBeth getting left out of the discussion, lol.

is it just me or does it seem that these are going to be really scarce and hard to come by?

is this expected to increase the demand?
(so people will pay $25+ for a production disc)

I'm not yet decided but it probably won't really matter to me one bit if Joe Smith tells me these are the best things to fly through the air since some one turned a pie tin upside down if they aren't available for me to buy

I can't help but feel that either the "team" announcement was too early or they are too far behind on those things that Joe Buyingpublic want

i.e. a website to look at and review the various products
and a readily accessible supply of discs

in the example of the store above perhaps only getting 10 for each store and knowing how many golfers are hoarders such single store's supply can be wiped out by a single buyer

on top of that are we looking at a full weight range or just max weight?
Let the koolaid drinkers begin!!:popcorn:

And MVP has still had consistency issues. I think realistic expectations of variable results are in order.

Putters and mids have much less variability than drivers, MVP found that out when they started making drivers. We know Prodigy has been molding discs for at least a year.

They are finally here! The magical discs that are understable enough for a noodle arm to hyzer flip and s-curve, but stable enough to fight off a headwind! These discs won't flip at all!
:doh:

HA. I caught that same thing.

They are finally here! The magical discs that are understable enough for a noodle arm to hyzer flip and s-curve, but stable enough to fight off a headwind! These discs won't flip at all!
:doh:

im having a hard time picturing how these two characteristics can be on the same disc while throwing with the same amount of power and snap.

Agreed. I mean I realize these people are being paid so they might as well make it sound good, but I caught paige 3 or 4 times getting mixed up with what she wanted to say or making unrealistic claims. C'mon.. If the discs were good enough for so many to switch sponsors, they should be able to sell themselves.

I'm mildly disappointed. I felt like the mvp testers sort of did the same thing. This disc is perfect, flies so far, incredible glide, always comes back, hyzer flip machine, perfect for rollers and even a 5 year old can throw it.

We all know certain discs only do certain things. Just stop.

A local guy just got back from Flyboy with two Prodigy discs. His statement: "Believe the hype". FWIW

I have thrown these discs a lot. What is being said is true.

1. They are very fast
2. The release is very smooth
3. They are very grippy
4. It takes very little effort to throw them
5. The overall quality feel is above average
6. They can take hits from trees as good as any disc that I have thrown

I've thrown these discs a few times. They feel like fast drivers that are made of plastic.

I understand the skepticism. It's a fine line to walk. On the one hand is years of experience being let down by the hype surrounding "the next big thing." although, in my opinion, the Saint was everything it was hyped up to be. On the other hand, the people out there throwing them (I'm talking people that aren't affiliated with Prodigy) have had nothing but good things to say about their experience. So until we have them in our hands and can judge for ourselves, one side is just as viable as the other.

I've heard a lot about their driver plastic. I'm really interested to see what their putter/base line comes out like.

Is it wrong to suspect Prodigy wouldn't let someone throw the discs who they expect wouldn't give them a favorable review? I haven't even seen a thorough review of the discs at all.

Is it wrong to suspect Prodigy wouldn't let someone throw the discs who they expect wouldn't give them a favorable review? I haven't even seen a thorough review of the discs at all.

The team has the discs and most of them will let anyone throw them. I won't write a thorough review, mostly because I just don't feel like it.

the thing is, Prodigy doesn't have testers like MVP or Vibram do that are regular posters here and are expected to write up a review for us to read.

..nudge nudge Prodigy....

I think what Latitude did with the Saint was genius, though. If you remember, they really tempered expectations and talked about how differently it flew for different players and under different conditions. When the disc was released, players - not sponsored pros - did the talking, and we all know how that worked out.

Edit: There are plenty of bloggers out there *cough* me *cough* who would be more than happy to give an objective review if provided with the discs. But some companies - not saying Prodigy is one, because I don't know - only want sunshine reviews, not objectivity.

Last edited:
What exactly is a smooth release? I'm not sure how releasing a disc can be anything but smooth(except for that ulibari putt in the wind :-D)? Maybe I'm just not tuned in enough but I never feel the smoothness of releasing discs is my problem but more I just release them in the wrong direction.

I hope Prodigy discs are great but it's back to the changing the game thing (remember blizzard discs). If so than really by how much? 50 ft? What level player are we talking about? If not distance than what? Acuracy? Consistancy?

Isn't the consensus amongst most thinkers on here that it is the archer not the arrow? Sure everyone wants to throw nice plastic that works for them but it's been shown time after time that good players throw almost any disc well. Also there is tons of nice, different types of plastic out right now making it even more unlikely that prodigy will have reinvented the wheel in a revolutionary new way. Not that it's not possible that Prodigy is in fact the best product on the market instantly. It's just that it is more likely that it will be yet another tasty lineup of discs which fly unique in some ways, yet somewhat similar to other similar discs.

One thing I do like about Prodigy so far is that they appear to be filling all the holes one person might have in their bag. This is of course assuming that the other discs follow the hi-speed driver model

The D1 through D4 supposedly all have a very similar rim/feel and vary from super overstable to flippy. If they do the same thing with fairways, mids, and putters, a person could have 16 molds fresh-out-of-the-box covering all their shot needs in a durable plastic, with only 4 truly different "feels"

What this does is it recreates the minimalist mold mentality while still catering to the maximalist. Have similar feels between discs but have them from stable to flippy and at different stablities in between. No more having to beat discs in and constantly having to rotate them in and out once they reach a certain level of flippiness.

I am a maximalist, and I prefer to carry discs that fit my needs straight out of the box. I never want to worry about having to beat a disc in to get it to do what I want to. But sometimes I struggle with finding a comfortable grip on a disc that I don't throw very often.

None of what I said is relevant though if it turns out that the rim configurations on the F1-F4, M1-M4, and P1-P4 are wildly different. :D

I've thrown these discs a few times. They feel like fast drivers that are made of plastic.

That is a truthful statement! Pretty much what I want to say.

There is nothing revolutionary that I have seen in them, well, maybe the hype...

Status
Not open for further replies.