• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy PA4

remember2morrow

Eagle Member
After months of holding out, I finally decided to give a few Prodigy discs a try (mostly thanks to Community Discs' sale). I gotta D3, M3, and PA4. While the driver and mid are very impressive, I was absolutely blown away by the PA4! Although it's listed as an understable putter, this thing can handle some serious power. My form is far from perfect, but I usually get my Wizards out to around 250' consistently, with the PA4, I'm getting out to 300'. The lip is different, can't really say that I have thrown anything to compare it to. I'd love to see what one of the big arms (*Mike C*) could do with it.

Throwing a putter 300ft is really good but w/o a video on a football field I am skeptic. Endzone to endzone 300ft is a lot more difficult than 300 dg course feet or 300 dgcr ft. Anyways I love the pa1 for the same reason, you can just man up on it and it handles it very well. I could never really drive with my old bb aviar driver or spike griplines. The bb hurt my hand with the flashing on the bottom and the spike just wont fade back at all.

Meh 300' on a football field is easier than on the course. I practice on a football field fairly often and in the open, w/out a ceiling, i can get 300 from a standstill throw.
Not sure why people see claims that are perfectly reasonable and dismiss them because their experience was/is not the same, but oh well.

I got to throw a PA1, its pretty nice. About the stability of a SP2, maybe a hair less. Havent gotten to throw the 4 yet, sounds like a beefier pure. I compared it to a S magic at the shop, its lower profile but other than that was really similar looking.

I am going to second everything positive said about the Pa4 so far.

The last weekend was the most important A-Tier tournament I have ever played in, especially since I am trying to qualify for the 2014 Am Worlds here in Minnesota; my home courses.

On Friday I was disappointed with how I was putting with my Ions and Rhynos; more importantly I was disappointed with my upshots that were not less than 10 feet from the basket so I could take putting out of the equation. The Ion is a wonderful driving putter, but I needed something less stable that could take a powered down approach and land pin point under the basket. I could care less about running the basket, I just want to make the putt automatic, especially if I am just trying to save par. I know through my fairly decent and consistent driving that I will have my birdie opportunities.

I went to the store to pick up some Neutron Anodes, knowing in the past that they paired well with my Ions. I had no idea why I kicked them out of the bag originally. When I head there, I always cruise the TeeBirds and Leopards to see if they have anything in unique colors or dyes, but in the process I know I open myself up into checking out the other aisles as well.

I found myself in the Prodigy aisle. Two months ago I gave up on the D1 and D4 because I needed to overtorque the D1 to get the flight I needed in my bag, and my D4 was the illegal overweight one. Yet I liked the plastic and when I felt up the Pa4, I could not help myself and had to purchase one to compete against the Anode.

Taking it home that night, I putzed around in the garage working on my putting. I am one of the worst, most inconsistent putters you will ever see. That is why I play for par in tournaments; if I can eliminate bogeys, I know my driving will give me some birdie opportunities. Yet the Pa4 was coming out of my hand cleanly and impressed me enough for me to give it a shot before this major tournament. Why not? Whenever I try a new putter (a monthly ritual), I usually putt better because I have lower expectations and thus putt more conservatively.

I was blown away by the Pa4. My driving almost completely abandoned me during this tournament. I do not know what happened, but I was often releasing shots nearly 30 degrees from my intended line. Some early releases, some grip locks, all stemming from my hands having no grip to the point it did not even feel like I had a disc in my hand when I was throwing. My upshot game is the strongest part of my game and often I at least put myself in a position where I can save par but it was often from 20 to 30 feet away instead of my normal 10 to 15 feet.

What the hell, I thought I was going to lose anyway. I never went into this tournament expecting to win; I just wanted to place well so I can collect points towards qualifying for next year. The Pa4 just started finding the chains and sticking. I was making critical putts when normally I would already concede that I was at best 50/50. During the first round I missed only one putt, and that was because I let movement behind the basket get into my head. Making these early putts gave me the confidence to be more aggressive, to stab more at the basket, and the Pa4 always came cleanly out of my hand, always had the right height and aim. It seemed to fit perfectly into my form which normally made me miss with other putters, and I have tried other understable putters before.

The second day was just as good. I was sitting in 3rd place in Intermediate out of 40 players despite what I thought was a horrendous round. My putting completely saved me. I was again tormented by uncharacteristically bad driving, again finding myself further from the basket than I would normally find myself on par saves, and again I was nailing critical putts. Near the end of the second round, when I realized I could win this tournament (I know it was Intermediate, but it was an A Tier and I have a low enough rating to play there), I let my confidence get into my head, and only then did I start missing putts I had been making all weekend long.

I have another A Tier coming up this weekend. Now that I believe I have enough points to qualify, and that I have won two Intermediate tournaments this year, I am going to bump up to advance again. Last time I did that it was a complete disaster, but I really like the confidence the Pa4 has given me in my putting and approach game. Putting was always the only thing that kept me from being competitive in advance because my driving and approach is solid.

I am going to have to find a few more Pa4s to practice with and hope that too much confidence does not become their downfall.

I also bought one, not a bad putter, seemed to hold an anny line nicely. Didn't love it enough though to kick my other anny putter out of the bag, so now my kid has it.

Meh 300' on a football field is easier than on the course. I practice on a football field fairly often and in the open, w/out a ceiling, i can get 300 from a standstill throw.
Not sure why people see claims that are perfectly reasonable and dismiss them because their experience was/is not the same, but oh well.

I don't agree with this guy often...but 300' in an open, flat field is pretty easy. Get enough snap and height on a putter in an open field, it's gonna go a LONG ways.

I think the point was people tend to over-exaggerate their distance on the internet...there's no arguing that fact. A large number of people's internet distance is a good 20% more than their actual distance.

That seems to be less common nowadays though. I think people realize that saying you throw 400' doesn't really mean a whole lot anymore, unless you can combo it with a completely well rounded game.

I think the point was people tend to over-exaggerate their distance on the internet...there's no arguing that fact. A large number of people's internet distance is a good 20% more than their actual distance.

That seems to be less common nowadays though. I think people realize that saying you throw 400' doesn't really mean a whole lot anymore, unless you can combo it with a completely well rounded game.

Ha No now its about WHAT you can throw that Far!!! :doh: .

Back to the Pa4 or whatever. Which Prodigy putter is going to be like the Aviar/Challenger/Wizard etc. And When are we going To see Baseline plastic? OR did I miss something?

I also bought one, not a bad putter, seemed to hold an anny line nicely. Didn't love it enough though to kick my other anny putter out of the bag, so now my kid has it.

Urrgghhh.

I was going to ask if you had one and whether you were going to trade it to me the next time I saw you.

The problem is that everybody has uncorked that ridiculous downhill shot with a tailwind a good 100-150 feet further than they ever throw. So the one in a million freak shot that went 450 ONE TIME means that on the internet I throw 450 controlled golf shots on command.

You guys worry wwwwaaaaayyyyy too much about how far people can throw.

Ha No now its about WHAT you can throw that Far!!! :doh: .

Back to the Pa4 or whatever. Which Prodigy putter is going to be like the Aviar/Challenger/Wizard etc. And When are we going To see Baseline plastic? OR did I miss something?

I know Prodigy is coming out with baseline, but not sure when. I got the opportunity to feel a baseline PA4. It felt like Gateway's "Soft" plastic, but the flight plate was considerably thicker and more stiff. I really liked it.

Throwing a putter 300ft is really good but w/o a video on a football field I am skeptic. Endzone to endzone 300ft is a lot more difficult than 300 dg course feet or 300 dgcr ft. Anyways I love the pa1 for the same reason, you can just man up on it and it handles it very well. I could never really drive with my old bb aviar driver or spike griplines. The bb hurt my hand with the flashing on the bottom and the spike just wont fade back at all.
The course I was throwing it on has 2 holes in the 290' range, the PA4 was going 10-15' beyond the basket on them. Not exact measurements, but good enough for this discussion.

I wonder who's gonna try to throw them under the bus with the flex test. If they're stiffer than gateway's soft that's probably bordering on being illegal.

I wonder who's gonna try to throw them under the bus with the flex test. If they're stiffer than gateway's soft that's probably bordering on being illegal.

IMO, they weren't so stiff as to be illegal. No where near Gateway's Medium stiffness. Also, I believe the one that I felt was a tester/prototype. So, things may change.

IMO, they weren't so stiff as to be illegal. No where near Gateway's Medium stiffness. Also, I believe the one that I felt was a tester/prototype. So, things may change.

If I remember correctly, it was stiff but not any stiffer than any KC Aviars or Legacy's Excel plastic. I think it had a nice chalky feel to it. I know I was excited.

If I remember correctly, it was stiff but not any stiffer than any KC Aviars or Legacy's Excel plastic. I think it had a nice chalky feel to it. I know I was excited.

I'd call it a stiffer Super Soft plastic from what I can remember ... or maybe the grip felt like Super Soft.

Either way it was delicious :thmbup:

So I'm noticing all the prodigy guys are still using competitors putters to putt with.... What's the deal?

Interesting. Would they be able to use the baseline versions of these if only the 400s are available to the public? I would think so since its the same mold. Maybe they just don't want to change til they have to. Especially in the middle of the season.

Urrgghhh.

I was going to ask if you had one and whether you were going to trade it to me the next time I saw you.

Yeah sorry, Dylan loved the feel of it, and the "OMG NEW SHINY" so he bought it from me for the $20 I paid for it at airborn.

It really was no different for me than my Cryztal FLX challenger. Nice and gummy, held an anny line nice.