• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Sales?

It also doesn't help that Prodigy team members aren't throwing much Prodigy.

You're living int he past. Get up closer and check the bags now that the fairway drivers are our and I think you'll see a big changes from back in March when they only had 2 drivers available. It takes time, but most of the guys are playing a majority of shots with Prodigy discs... to day otherwise means you just aren't paying close enough attention.

You're living int he past. Get up closer and check the bags now that the fairway drivers are our and I think you'll see a big changes from back in March when they only had 2 drivers available. It takes time, but most of the guys are playing a majority of shots with Prodigy discs... to day otherwise means you just aren't paying close enough attention.

I saw two Prodigy pros up close and personal this week. Nikko was lights out putting with his Wizards. And Ricky was really bombing his Destroyers...

I saw Nikko throw a Prodigy mid...or at least a mid with a Prodigy stamp. But that was it, there is very little Prodigy in their bags.

Prodigy sales are weak at best.

When it first hit the market it was all the rage and since then it has been a slow decline in sales. We have done 4 or 5 orders of prodigy just so we can have some of the new stuff and we still have a bunch of our first and second orders sitting around and show no signs of moving soon.

As for people throwing prodigy I dont see too many of them, but the people I have seen throw it are throwing a D1 and thats pretty much it, with the exception of an M4 mixed in there.
I feel as though there sales are good right now because they keep coming out with something new that people and vendors have to buy to have on hand.

I think that now that they have pretty much a full line up out in 3 plastics and 2 more coming that their sales will drop considerably.

It also doesnt help that McBeth just goes beast mode on all the Prodigy Team members

This^ sales were strong right out of the gate, havent placed a reorder in months and still have a ton sitting around.

I love seeing those Prodigy stamped KC Pro Rocs in their bags.

FWIW, I have yet to see any local players throw Prodigy when it counts (tourneys, dubs, league) only see them throwing 'em in casual rounds.

I see a good amount of Prodigy around here, more than I expected to. But I think that is because a lot of the guys around here fancy themselves the next pros (minus the two guys I play with who throw Prodigy and are down to earth).

I played with a guy at Fox Chase and he was throwing a Prodigy mid. That's the only Prodigy I've seen in my neck of the woods. The PIAS in Greensboro does carry some though.

I'm not really interested in it b/c they have actually beaten Millennium at the "most confusing names for discs/plastics" game. I can't make hides nor tails of that stuff, might as well be in binary code. :|

I agree, but was called stupid here for saying it. :p

I've only bagged the D1 and really like it. I own several D4's and a D3, and 2 PA4's. I don't trust them yet and will look forward to trying the F series stuff. There is a fair amount of Prodigy plastic being thrown around here but I think it will take time to work into people's bags and sales will reflect that.

I see a good amount of Prodigy around here, more than I expected to. But I think that is because a lot of the guys around here fancy themselves the next pros (minus the two guys I play with who throw Prodigy and are down to earth).

Come over to mid-Missouri and you'll see tons of Prodigy flying in tournaments. There's not a person I play with that doesn't throw at least 2 different molds and some have full Prodigy bags... it takes time, but it's catching on here at least.

I agree, but was called stupid here for saying it. :p

As well you should. :|

No but seriously, what is with this 400s stuff? Are we playing disc golf or examining thread counts? They gonna start selling Prodigy in Bed, Bath & Beyond now or what?

Ba-dum-tish-300x277.png

I think one thing that might be hurting Prodigy sales is that at pretty much every online store I see them in they are about $1-3/disc more than for comparable plastic of their competitors. For players that didn't get caught in all the pre-release hype on here or don't follow the pros, its just another disc company.

I still also maintain, the nondescript alphanumeric names for their molds aren't exactly helping market them. Discmania has been slow to grow on folks for the same reason.

Nondescript? By definition their naming system is descriptive. What do you think the numbers and letters mean? An example of non-descriptive naming would be say "the Atlas"(or the River,the Anode, the Comet, etc..). I haven't seen these high prices of which you speak either, the most Infinite Discs online charges for any Prodigy disc is $15.99. Cheaper or as cheap as INNOVA's Star line, or any MVP disc for that matter.

I don't see many of them at all.

You still only find hidden in the bushes innova wraiths, destoryers and grooves.

Just another company for now with a lotttttttttt more riding on their name, than the competitors IMO. No ones DG "careers" depend on the success of say MVP, where if this company flops and goes under its a big loss for all involved-- where do these players go? running back? hmmm tough to be in business for yourself, specially in DG but the opportunity is there and the products seem to be preforming very well given a few hiccups of any new company.

I think one thing that might be hurting Prodigy sales is that at pretty much every online store I see them in they are about $1-3/disc more than for comparable plastic of their competitors. For players that didn't get caught in all the pre-release hype on here or don't follow the pros, its just another disc company.
I agree with this. And I won't go into detail, but as a shop owner, the discs aren't expensive to wholesale from Prodigy.

Nondescript? By definition their naming system is descriptive. What do you think the numbers and letters mean? An example of non-descriptive naming would be say "the Atlas"(or the River,the Anode, the Comet, etc..).

100% agree here...

The whole naming convention thing was beat to death when they first announced... and while they might not be coolio names, saying they don't tell you how the disc performs over the competition is the 2nd dumbest thing I've read here all week.

The letter followed by number is INFINITELY more descriptive than Beast, or Ion, or Halo or any name. To say otherwise is illogical and downright dumb.

D=Driver; F=Fairwary Driver; M=Midrange; PA=Putt/Approach

Low numbers = more stable; High number = less stable (there another thread to debate these term)

Makes is much easier on the novice that Cheetah... and that's not an opinion. It's fact.

If you tell someone who knows nothing about disc golf to pick between a F# whatever the hell and Firebird etc they will not know the difference in the discs at all because one has a letter and number and the other doesn't.. If there was a set scale for all of DG to follow then sure but 1 could be OS or US.

A letter and a number tell you NOTHING about a disc when you know crap about them to start with.

....I still don't even know which prodigy discs are OS or US'

100% agree here...

The whole naming convention thing was beat to death when they first announced... and while they might not be coolio names, saying they don't tell you how the disc performs over the competition is the 2nd dumbest thing I've read here all week.

What's the first?

Nuke is a cool name that is attractive to novices.

D1 is a descriptive simple name that is useful to experienced players.

The cooler name has more selling power.

"....I still don't even know which prodigy discs are OS or US"- Aim for the Chains

The lower the number the more the disc will fade. There, was that so hard?

Last edited:
As a local course director (read in charge of maintenance) I've found 5 (unmarked) Prodigy discs in the past 3 weeks; only 2 Innova in same time period. Course is popular with newbies as well as intermediate players, and these are the ones losing their plastic (advanced and pros are almost always on the fairway). So here in Innova country (Innova East about 20 miles away), there are a lot of newbies/recs buying and losing Prodigy.

Latest posts