• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Sales?

Only prodigy disc I've purchased was a D4 and it is really overstable. It has made me think twice about another purchase from them.

Only prodigy disc I've purchased was a D4 and it is really overstable. It has made me think twice about another purchase from them.

I thought mine was as well until I had a 14-yr old phenom who crushes drives regularly over 500. He turned it over with ease. As my distance and arm speed have increased the past two months, it's turning over for me now too. Probably me getting it closer to rated speed and some break in.

I think this one is for bigger arms and most of us prolly shouldn't throw speed 14 discs if we want them to fly as designed.

Have seen a few people here in Central WI with prodigy, once my local shop got more in a lot of people bought them. but its not an overwhelming craze.

I've seen players around here carry some, but being in the heart of DD country, they are few and far between compared to all of the Lat 64 family discs that I see.

The Richmond PIAS still has proto D1s and D4s for sale and has said they won't be ordering anymore until they move the stuff they have. I'm doing my part to ensure they never get another order by not buying anything.

I have a D4 and M4 and I like both of them so far. The D4 is definitely the longest disc in my bag but then again i don't throw that far. The M4 is a nice disc that seems to hold lines fairly decent. I will say I like the feel of the plastic and i seem to get very consistent releases from both of these discs. Most stores around here still have plenty left on the shelf from what I have seen.

The company that handles a lot of the Am payouts in VT started carrying Prodigy this year. This adds to the small Discraft collection they already have. When they vend at tournaments, people go right for the Prodigy simply because it's new and interesting.

However, very little of it seems to be actually finding a spot in people's bags. I still see very little Prodigy thrown in VT. And even with two Prodigy pros in town for a B-Tier, there was very little Prodigy being thrown...

Thanks for the information.

I tend to like to try putting together a bag of a manufacturer's discs and try playing with those discs exclusively. I thought that when they all became available locally, I would go ahead and buy one of each mold and try them out. But when they did finally become available, and I picked them up and felt them, i realized that the drivers and mids were all run in only premium plastic that provides poor grip in the local humidity.

One of the DD guys who works the DD web store told me was really surprised at how much more popular base plastic is in TX, and he thinks it is because of the humidity and its effect on grip. Before I buy into the prodigy line, they are going to have to run at least the fairways and mids in the grippy base plastic. Do other Texans feel the same?

Last edited:
Prodigy sales are weak at best.

When it first hit the market it was all the rage and since then it has been a slow decline in sales. We have done 4 or 5 orders of prodigy just so we can have some of the new stuff and we still have a bunch of our first and second orders sitting around and show no signs of moving soon.

As for people throwing prodigy I dont see too many of them, but the people I have seen throw it are throwing a D1 and thats pretty much it, with the exception of an M4 mixed in there.
I feel as though there sales are good right now because they keep coming out with something new that people and vendors have to buy to have on hand.

I think that now that they have pretty much a full line up out in 3 plastics and 2 more coming that their sales will drop considerably.

It also doesnt help that McBeth just goes beast mode on all the Prodigy Team members

And I dont think it helps that thier 300 plastic is junk and not the OG 300 that some of the Prodigy Pros have. Before the Putters got approved Gurthie had some PA1's in the 300 plastic that he was trying out and that 300 plastic was gold. It was a good blend of KC like plastic and now their 300 plastic is that soft grippy crap and not the stiffer slicker stuff

Thanks for the information.

I tend to like to try putting together a bag of a manufacturer's discs and try playing with those discs exclusively. I thought that when they all became available locally, I would go ahead and buy one of each mold and try them out. But when they did finally become available, and I picked them up and felt them, i realized that the drivers and mids were all run in only premium plastic that provides poor grip in the local humidity.

One of the DD guys who works the DD web store told me was really surprised at how much more popular base plastic is in TX, and he thinks it is because of the humidity and its effect on grip. Before I buy into the prodigy line, they are going to have to run at least the fairways and mids in the grippy base plastic. Do other Texans feel the same?

300s fairways and mids have been available for a little while. 300s is a kc pro sort of semi textured base style plastic

Prodigy is still a small company when compared to the Big 3(Innova, Discraft, Lat64). Out of the smaller companies I do believe MVP is considerably more popular than Millennium, Prodigy, Legacy, DGA, etc.

The fact Prodigy pumped out so many models in a few different plastics is in my opinion detrimental. Releasing that many models in 9 months make it tough for not only the consumer but the retailers to keep enough stock of each model for it to be worth it. Prodigy does sell well, it will just take time for the recreational players to catch on. Most recreational players are still drawn to the look and...gimmick...of MVP. The Big 3 are miles ahead of the rest. Prodigy seems intent to keep releasing mass quantities of new disc/plastics so it may catch them in quantity but it is years behind in other areas

Last edited:
Idk I think the prodigy stuff is great.. I hope they stick around for a while.

I have a feeling the m2 will be covering most of my mid range duties, and when that happens.. I won't have any discraft in the bag. It will mostly be prodigy, innova, and the judge and xxx will be the only two molds from other companies.

I'm not sure why some people seem to hate prodigy, but whatever.

They seem to be doing okay here in Richmond. I see many people throwing them and more than one person is pushing their product at the courses. That means that Prodigy has already sold them to someone.

As a shop owner I'd say Prodigy has mediocre sales. Many people bought the drivers at first and some still have them in their bags. The mids and putters have been sitting on the shelves collecting dust. My biggest issue was how big of a pain in the ass they were when I first contacted them for discs. They have a lot of work to do to even come close to Lat 64 which I would say is the next up competitor. Lat 64 blows prodigy out of the water in all aspects (sales, quality, selection, and customer service).

I think one thing that might be hurting Prodigy sales is that at pretty much every online store I see them in they are about $1-3/disc more than for comparable plastic of their competitors. For players that didn't get caught in all the pre-release hype on here or don't follow the pros, its just another disc company.

I still also maintain, the nondescript alphanumeric names for their molds aren't exactly helping market them. Discmania has been slow to grow on folks for the same reason.

I still also maintain, the nondescript alphanumeric names for their molds aren't exactly helping market them. Discmania has been slow to grow on folks for the same reason.
for some reason their naming scheme seems like it could be an advantage to me. its very straight forward and easy to follow (consistency of their molding not withstanding). seems like it would be much easier for a new player to get an idea of what they are getting when compared to something like innova's 4 number flight description.

i get what you are saying though... people LOVE buying up some 'nukes,' 'bosses,' 'grooves,' etc. i'd wager the name alone sells the lions share of those discs.

for some reason their naming scheme seems like it could be an advantage to me. its very straight forward and easy to follow (consistency of their molding not withstanding). seems like it would be much easier for a new player to get an idea of what they are getting when compared to something like innova's 4 number flight description.
It might be all fine and dandy if this is all the further that they wish to take the product line, but I suspect like other companies they are going to want to come out with new molds. (Notice that they skipped from 3 to 7 with the fairway drivers).

What happens if their next distance driver turns out to be between the D2 and D3 in terms of stability? Do they call it the D 2.5? Do they go ahead and call it the D5 and throw the numbers out of whack? Do they assign a different letter for it? Companies with named discs don't have to worry about these sort of things.

I think them coming out with too many molds too soon has been another tactical mistake.

Latest posts