• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter for Driving

I prefer my my distance drivers on the lighter side (upper 160's). My fairway drivers differ in weight depending on what I want them to do. Once I get below that though I don't like light stuff. I don't ensure everything is maxed out but shoot for 174+. This includes throwing putters (Judge/Warden). The consistency just isn't there with a lighter putter and any wind will toss it around. I have a 150 Aviar P&A that I will play catch with my son with and it is fun to watch it dance but wouldn't be so much fun when trying to dial in on a line.

My putters are all 175 (SSS Wizards). I prefer my beat in (understable) discs for tailwinds, less beat in or new (overstable) discs for no wind or head wind. Anytime I need a fairly straight shot 250 or less, it's one of my wizards. I move to my Harp if/when I need to shape a shot more. Putters can be money for long tailwind, down hill shots.

I use an origio burst for forehanding 220 feet and below, I use the mvp atom and the aviar3 for approaches and short drives under 200 feet.

My main deal about driving with putters is that they be new or slightly worn without noticeable nicks and cuts. I like the Aviar3 for such shots.

#teaminnova

I have too many putters that I've been using. A Plasma Ion is one of my favorites recently. It seems to have a little flip but also a little bit of bite at the end. At the same time, its fade is very forward, as opposed to harder left like a mid. I think this is why putters are great to throw in general, and maybe the gyro effect adds even more benefit to MVP/Axiom throwing putters.

Lately, though, that Ion has been in and out of the bag. I've been putting with KC Aviars, and I end up throwing these occasionally. They're also great throwers, and the only downside is that they can get beat up more off the tee.

I'm still growing into putters. I'm more comfortable throwing my Buzzz in a number of spots where I could throw putters, but not as consistently as I would like.

My putters are almost always in the 170s b/c I don't throw putters for distance, I throw them for control. I use them just like slow mids. Putters are so slow they're easy to get up to speed so there isn't as much of a benefit for beginners like with drivers. The only real benefit of going lighter in a putter is usually improved glide. But if I want slow and glidey I throw a Polecat which I prefer in the 160s.

So like everything, it depends on what you're wanting to do.

174-176 exactly, actually I buy all of my discs between 174-178 for consistency with my putter (it works for me) back to driving putters. Depends on the situation most of the time if I'm driving with a putter it's my pure, it's super neutral and flies about 200'-220' with just a clean release (still trying to find a good putter for mild headwinds) or my harp of course, my harp in BT hard is what you'd think a meat hook(now that it's got some miles on it I can flex it and throw it longer before the inevitable hard crashing bricky fade) I feel that heavy is what you want because the wind will eff up a putter shot. That's my take, anyone have any suggestions on good headwind putters that aren't the challenger and have less fade than the harp please drop them on me.

Have you ever tried a moonshine or lucid Pure? I love mine! Great throwing putters. Straight all day, but can handle a little wind or power. Add hyzer as needed if you have more wind and power.

As for the Harp, I've recently gone to the Suspect, as its a skinnier mold. Still OS to Stable, not a lot of glide. Not a lot of skip. Easy point and shoot hyzer or into the wind. Can be putted with into a very strong wind. More comfortable for me to throw backhand than a Harp. Both are good for sidearm upshots.

Have you ever tried a moonshine or lucid Pure? I love mine! Great throwing putters. Straight all day, but can handle a little wind or power. Add hyzer as needed if you have more wind and power.

As for the Harp, I've recently gone to the Suspect, as its a skinnier mold. Still OS to Stable, not a lot of glide. Not a lot of skip. Easy point and shoot hyzer or into the wind. Can be putted with into a very strong wind. More comfortable for me to throw backhand than a Harp. Both are good for sidearm upshots.

Wow!, when did I originally post that? I actually haven't thrown a pure in a while. i went through a whole thing about it LOL (see thread: puckin futters) now I am throwing Pure White Wizards and a Rhyno. Handles all of my needs. Beaded so it's comfy and maintains stability. Great for cycling. i am currently toying with the idea of getting a Gator and usong it to handle my Rhyno shots plus longer similar shots and headwind situations. Also let's talk about putters sometime.

P.S.. The pure I threw was opto, which is whatbI think you meant to say and a zero line hard as well.

I love both judges in prime and wizards (chalky and stiff) 170+. The wizard being just a little bit more os and better in the wind. The judge tends to have a better glide. Both are good for cycling. I also bag a Jokeri.

The Jokeri is such an underrated disc. I've seen dudes with advanced to open level putter driver technique bomb that disc on the same lines I see good players throw their drivers.

I've always found lighter discs to feel awkward, although my experience is limited to only a couple discs. All my discs are within a couple percent of max weight.

Thus, I like heavier putters, both for putter drives/ups/outs (premium Envy/Zone) and putts (base Judge). It is my opinion, and I'm sure it's been said, but I like to 'feel' [the weight of] the disc in my hand, and I've always thrown near max weight discs, less a couple distance drivers. So, I'm comfortable with them!

Additionally, I'll grab the Envy for power grip drives (on all lines, up to ~250'), upshots and slow straight or anny forehands (and headwind putts). Zone for out-of-trouble, FHs, high short hyzers. I'll fan grip a judge for turnovers/straight shots inside 150'.

My furthest flying putter is now a DD Deputy. I am amazed by how much glide this disc has. I'm using the Classic Soft blend and one thing nice about it, it holds an anny and doesn't want to turn over into a roller. Thow it (not too high) on a hyzer flip, it will flip up & glide straight and make a nice slow turn to the right. Never thought I'd throw a putter that would give me more glide / distance than my Wizards.