• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Putter Help

I am brand new to the sport and have only played a couple of times. I bought a 5 disc Innova set of of Amazon, and am happy with the purchase but don't love the putter it came with (Rhyno).

Any advice on another good starting putter I should buy or should I just stick with the Rhyno and learn to throw it better.

Thanks for your help.

go to a store and try a few different putters

Buy the one that feels the best, should only be $8-9

I'd say stick with it, but I love rhynos...

pick a putter and stick with it, constantly switching up molds can be a setback to progression.

most discs fly the same 15ft and in so do what feels right.

Stock answer:

Go to a store or a local league. Hold as many diferent putters as you can in your own hands. Wave them around. Toss them if you can. Pick one that feels really comfortable.
Then buy two (or more) of them at 175(ish) grams. Then give that 150 DX Aviar to a dog. Or a kid. Or throw it into the ocean.

People are going to say a bunch more specific stuff. About plastics mostly, and beads, and Wizards. People are going to say a lot about Wizards.

But just pick what feels good and get a couple heavy ones. Then throw them until they are destroyed or you are tired of them. At which point you can get different ones. Or more of the same ones.

Have fun.

Yep, we're pretty much done here.

Good luck, quartersmostly!

For a player starting out, you can't beat a DX Aviar. Go anywhere that sells discs and there's a 90% chance they will have them. They are cheap, neutral with a hair of stability and are widely available to buy backups. Discraft Magnets fit this bill too, if your local places have lots of DC.

Stock answer:

Go to a store or a local league. Hold as many diferent putters as you can in your own hands. Wave them around. Toss them if you can. Pick one that feels really comfortable.
Then buy two (or more) of them at 175(ish) grams. Then give that 150 DX Aviar to a dog. Or a kid. Or throw it into the ocean.

People are going to say a bunch more specific stuff. About plastics mostly, and beads, and Wizards. People are going to say a lot about Wizards.

But just pick what feels good and get a couple heavy ones. Then throw them until they are destroyed or you are tired of them. At which point you can get different ones. Or more of the same ones.

Have fun.

x2

The first step in finding a good putter is finding one that you love the way it feels in your hand. Nothing else is as important as that. Once you figure out what kind of feel you like you can get into other specifics and narrow it down from there

Most putters do fly pretty much the same within close putting range. But Rhynos feel different in hand compared to lots of putters. If you don't like it, you don't like it. They are great discs but usually used as throwers rather than putting (some people putt them though obviously).

As has been said, hold a bunch in a store if you can, and buy what feels good to you. Putting is 90% in your head, so buy what makes you feel confident/comfortable and stick with it. After a certain point changing putters doesn't help much/any (unless it's a crazy big change/for wind/etc.)...just concentrate and be consistent.

I went from a rhyno to a medium xlink vibram summit. And I'm never going back.

post-35884-that-dont-make-no-sense-gif-O-RZSo.gif

Those might not be two more completely different putters in stability and design that ive heard compared in a while. They would make a great pair honestly unless you are confused with a VP and rhyno those discs would complement each other very well in a bag.

Last edited:
Right, it just has a use on the course, specially along side your summit.

If the OP was to chose a disc which was more stable or slightly OS then maybe not such as an envy, wizard, pure, and on and on and on but there are so many putters and no magical one at 20' and in'

The rhyno for me is more useful as a mid range.

The reason why I moved on from it was because the rim depth was just a tad bit too deep for my liking.

OP, what is it about the rhyno doesn't click with you?

I started with a Discraft set and it came with a Magnet and I liked it for a while. I then went to an Innova Birdie which gave me a lot of confidence. I've gone through at least a half dozen molds and I am currently liking a Gateway Magic SS. Keep your Rhyno. I love it for approach shots.

My suggestion is to go shopping and paw as many putters as you can and buy 2 different putters in base plastic, both neutral fliers that feel good in your hand, one beaded and one unbeaded and then throw the snot out of them. Don't worry too much about brand and model names. Trying to fit your hand to other peoples disc model suggestions is just going to cause you frustrations and waste a lot of time. First and foremost, a putter has to fit you. Everyones hands and putting styles are different.

For what it's worth, I started out with a beadless putters and switched to beaded, the sharper rim of beadless putters would get caught up in the crease of my finger and cause me to yank them right. I also don't like very deep putters, I can't get a clean release and they just don't feel right.

You should be able to throw your putters as well as putt with them. Being able to throw them well builds confidence. After playing with the two for a while, you'll be better informed as to which fits your style best and then you can make further putter purchases base on experience as opposed to the new latest and greatest.

Putters are a very personal decision and the most important disc in your bag and the only way to find the one for you is patience and practice.

Last edited:
The 2 biggest things that make putters feel different to me is the bead and rim depth. Once you decide if you like a bead, and if you like shallow or deep putters then your choices get narrowed significantly.

I like beads, and medium-deep putters. Started with an aviar, tried a rhyno for a while, then juggled a Judge and a Wizard for a while- decided on the Wizard. Some others I have tried that flew nice, but just didnt click with me were the Ion, Pure, Serpent, Whale, and Warden.

As many have said - feel up a bunch and see what is comfortable in the hand - that is all that matters. Inside the circle there is really very little difference in flights for most putters (unless you get into the crazy os stuff like rhynos, pigs, zones, etc).