• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Putter setup

Mrcpa

Bogey Member
So I am curious as to what some others have for their putter setup. As in do you have 1 driving putter 1 "putting" putter and a floppy one for tricky uphill shots that you want it to stick and not roll back down the hill? I would like to hear some suggestions on this! Especially on which gummy putters any of you would recommend!

Thanks Guys!

Personally, I have one driving/approach putter; a Reptilian Disc Golf Scale in Armor Flex plastic. Overstable enough to handle all the power I can muster and never turn over and the Armor Flex hits and sticks like a dirt magnet. Love it.

Then I carry two of my "putting putters" - Reptilian Disc Golf Scales in Tar Pit plastic, and an stable/understable putter - a Reptilian Disc Golf Serpent in Fossil Fuel plastic for any shots I need to shape a bit more.

I'd say 90% of my shots inside of 250' are with the Armor Flex Scale. However, they are very difficult to come by.

I carry Wizard, Zone, Omega, and Scale. The Omega SS is floppy enough and neutral enough for all my uphill / turnover shots that need to hit and flop. I can also use a RFF Scale for the hit & flop purpose. I simply carry about 3 or 4 Wizards (2 to putt with, 1-2 to drive with).

I carry 5 putters in 3 molds.
175gr Yeti Aviar for putting only
175gr Yeti for driving
170gr beat in Yeti for long putts, straddle and annie putts
R-Pro Rhyno for driving and upshot. Love the way it just sticks where it hits. Depending on the course and conditions, I sometimes also bag a DX Rhyno.
And a DX Birdie that I use for laser beem approaches and long putts that I need to land flat. I prefer the Birdie to the Polecat because it's more trust worthy to me as it's a floaty brick that won't surprise me with extra glide.

I'm pretty casual, so I drive and approach and putt with one kc aviar that's seasoned, and also drive/approach with a fresh one. I keep a lid for the real short finesse stuff.

I see no reason for a gummy putter.

Love different putters. I tend to use the slowest disc I can get away with so lots of putter drives for me. I carry six in my bag.

Cryztal Zone for forehands, forehand rollers and backhand skip shots.
Proton Envy for hyzers and flex shots.
Fresh Zero Medium Pure for dead straight full power drives.
Beat Zero Medium Pure for touchy straight shots and anhyzers.
Soft Spike for hyzerflips, turnovers and lag putts.

Zero Medium Pure for jump putts and putts.

2 prime judges, for putting only.
2 soft judges. One for tricky spin putts and one that's fairly worn in only for approaches.
1 hard judge. Only for stable putter drives.
1 bt medium harp. It's kind of a putter I guess? FH/BH overstable approach disc.

I carry for most rounds 6 putters.

DX Polecat for putting
2 Scales for approaches and putting on really windy days
A Sonic for approaches and straddle putts
A Woodchuck for shots where I can't have a roll away
A Stego for utility stuff (if you can call a Stego a putter).

I'm usually only carrying two putters, one SSS Wizard for putts, and one N Envy for upshots and short drives. I'm carrying a bunch of midranges tho, typically 5 midranges covering all levels of stability

One fluid judge for putting.
One fluid judge for upshots.
Classic Supersoft judge/blowfly for hit n stick.
Nova for any putts around obstacles.
R pro rhino for slight wind and stick to chains putt
RDG Stego for category 5 putting conditions

Also a Champion Birdie gets pulled put for turbo putts.

Last edited:
Lucid Judge - Driving Putter
Prime Judge - Putting Putter
Medium Ridge - Driving putter when I have headwind or want a stall shot.

I carry six

1 Wizard for putting
1 Wizard for throwing/backup putting
1 Neutron Proxy for throwing
1 Glow Champ Classic Roc for throwing
2 Zones for throwing

2 Pures for any shots that do not need a strong left or right finish.
1 Opto Pure for driving
1 Zero Soft Pure for putting

2 Harps for any approach shots/drives that need a strong left or right finish, or for wind
1 Lucid Harp for shots where I want it to slide or skip
1 Soft Harp for shots where I want it to stick, or for putting into the wind

2 McPro Aviars - putting only
BT Hard Shield - approah shots, drives
Zone - utility shots, FH Rollers, FH approaches

2 McPro Aviars - putting, jump putts, and short approaches without hazard/trees.
2 Pro Rhinos - approaches and upshots. One older that can hit any line and beat in, another fresh for finishing left.

I can make any shots work inside 200 ft with these 4 when using LHBH and RHBH...prob why I don't carry more. Used to carry an XD for longer approaches and anny shots but beat rhyno and LHBH dissolved the need to carry it.

Wow guys thanks for all the awesome inputs! I guess I am still wondering however what do you guys use on a putt or approach that's going up hill.. Reason being is Ive seen and have had a decent amount of missed putts or putts that chain out or bounce off the basket roll all the way back down the hill.... What do you use in that situation?

hill.... What do you use in that situation?

Make the putt. I have the worst roll-a-way luck. Sometimes it feels like I could throw a cinder block up there and it would roll. But I don't feel the need to carry a Blowfly, or something similar, just got to make it or lay up.

I currently carry 4 putters.
2 Fossil Wizards for putting
1 Opto Pure for driving
1 MegaSoft Warden for upshots and putts that I don't want to roll away.

I would like to add in a couple more (1 Yeti, 1 Scale), but my bag is currently a bit overstuffed and I don't have space.

1 GStar Aviar Driver for overstable stuff
2 dx aviars for driving / approaching (1 new, 1 beat)
2 xt aviars for putting/jump putting/approaching

Make the putt. I have the worst roll-a-way luck. Sometimes it feels like I could throw a cinder block up there and it would roll. But I don't feel the need to carry a Blowfly, or something similar, just got to make it or lay up.

I think I've seen it here, but also had a guy I played a round with a while ago who was a lights out putter put it to me this way.

Putting in a huge part is about mindset, specifically confidence. If you are switching to a special putter for potential roll away putts then you are already in the mindset you are going to miss. Also they putt differently. Get a putter you like and only use it, only use it for putting and get more of the same and practice with them and only practice with them for putting. It isn't just about how the disc acts, but the psychology attached to it.

It made sense to me and i've gone to that.

1 proxy - Driving and upshots
2 envy - Driving and upshots
5 (I bag 2 at a time) 174 Glow Wizards - Putting only

Latest posts