• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Putter setup

Right now I carry 4 "throwing" putters and 2 "putting" putters:

RDG Armor Scale (crazy overstable)
RDG Fossil Scale (overstable)
Soft S Wizard (worn, straight to slightly understable)
Soft S Wizard (beat to crap, flippy)

Then 2 identical old Medium Wizards for putting.

I used to carry three "putting" putters for different conditions- one light, one heavy and one floppy. I found my putting improved when I picked one type and stuck with it. I really carry two for practice, and to slow down the inevitable wear & tear.

I would focus more on putting and learning to reduce the chances of rollaways than looking for a disc that won't roll. Every disc, no matter how soft, can/will roll. I prefer firm putters and try to putt so that, in the event of a miss, the putter will land as flat as possible.

^ yea I agree. Ive found that having a "go for it layup" shot is more useful than a floppy putter. I just put a little anhy angle on it, throw it a bit softer and higher than usual and try to keep the spin to a minimum. This way if it hits the cage it doesn't have the energy to roll away(doesn't always work) and usually will stall in the basket or just short and hit the ground flat.

KC Aviar - Putting
KC Aviar - Aproaches
(Beat) KC Aviar - Flippy Driving Putter
(Seasoned) KC Aviar - Straight Driving Putter
(New) KC Aviar - Overstable Driving Putter

Putters are HUGE. I have a ton of putters and honestly I can mix it up based on the weather and temp and how i'm feeling

Putting / Short throws:
US---------- 300 Pa4
Stable------ 300/350 Pa3
Stable-------RDG Serpent
Overstable- RDG Scale - 350 Pa1

Approaches / Short-mid throws:
US- Neutron PROXY
St - Electron ATOM
OS -Neutron ENVY
Very OS- VIP Harp / 400 A1

I have a mix of putters and different plastics etc etc, but mainly putt with a Pa3 or Atom for long faster putts

X-Line P2 - Putting
X-Line P2 - Approaches and Driving Putter
(Seasoned) KC Aviar - Straight to Turnover drives
Medium VP - Overstable Driving and Approach Putter

The VP is the only disc I can accurately throw forehand for some weird reason.
When I first started throwing Vibram it was because I believed it wouldn't roll away. Then I had a round where I had two really bad roll a ways with a vibram ridge. As in my buddy and I looked at each other absolutely stunned that it had rolled.

I find that the X-line plastic for the P2 and the medium plastic for the VP reduce the skip on the disc so I am really liking that plastic for that.

(2) Electron Ion's: My "putting" putters. Never throw them.
(1) ESP Zone: Overstable approach/driving putter. Gets used a ton every round, also my main short forehand disc.
(1) Plasma Envy: Driving/approach putter. Use for straighter forehands, and backhand straight to fade shots. Slowly taking more shots away from my Zone every day.
(1) Plasma Proxy: My favorite throwing putter. Use for dead straight shots, and anny backhands.

2x D-line P2 for putting
1x KC Pro P2 for upshots that hit & stick and jump putts
1x Glow Whale for forehand approaches and windy approaches/putts

As others have said, learn how to adjust your approaches so that if you absolutely need to lay up to make the 'safe' putt, you know how to get the right angle for the disc to hit and stick. This can be done with practically any disc, but learn to do it with a disc you're confident in running at the chains with, just as much as you're confident that you can safely set it down on a steep hill or uneven terrain with.

Floppy putters are exactly that... floppy. While you might be able to get them to hit and stick, I've found more often than not that they're just as prone (if not more) to roll-aways and funky bounces. That said, I like to carry a base plastic putter and a premium plastic clone, so I have the options of having something with a little more grab (base) or something that I can count on to have a little bit of slide/skip (premium).

make it or lay up.

This! If you're throwing uphill and it's far enough away that you're not confident in making it, then lay up short or beside the basket. Most putters that aren't extremely overstable can be thrown or putted to land flat on the ground, which means they won't roll away. If you hit the basket and don't make the putt, roll aways can happen even with soft/floppy discs.

My putter setup:
2 x identical Yeti Pro Aviars (I use one during a round and both while warming up or practice putting).
1 x Pig (short hyzer drives, most upshots)
1 x Star Aviar Driver (beat in for straight to anny upshots/short drives)

(2)D-Line P2 - putting
(1)S-Line P2 - Overstable driving and upshot putter
(1)McPro Aviar - Neutral driving and upshot putter
(1)XT Nova - Similar to the Aviar but gets down a bit faster in case I am worried about blowing past the basket on upshots

I don't get using a super floppy putter to prevent rollaways but then again I can't stand the feel. If it is a putt and I am going to run it I want my normal putting putter anyway. If it is an upshot that can roll away it is on me to manipulate the angle it lands to keep that from happening. If I can't it is my fault for being bad :D.

2x twin KC Aviars for putting only
Fresh KC
Seasoned KC
Beat KC
Fossil Scale

Usually 6 putters in my everyday bag:

1 Zone: Zone stuff.
1 Recon (Champ) Tank: Beadless Rhyno. OS drives/approaches and big hyzers.
2 Aviar P&As: One neutral to slightly OS (Like a PFN Star or Champ) and one neutral to US (Like a DX Classic Aviar) for straight to turnover drives/approaches.
2 Wizards: One more beat and softer than the other, strictly for putting or layup/half-goes.

In my smaller bag that lives in my trunk (I don't carry mids in my small bag):

3 Classic Rocs: Champ, Fresh DX, Beat DX (they cover all mid/putter driving and upshots)
1 Wizard: Putting and layup/half-goes.

Putting up a hill? Wizard. Run it or flop it a little anny to be pin high and falling nice and flat as it pans out.

Current Setup:

Gateway Wizards - Putts (outside the circle), Approaches, and Short Drives

SS - Straddle Putts / Driving Putter (Straight to Hyzer Lines)
$$$ - Uphill Putts / Driving Putter (Straight to Anhyzer Lines)
RFF - Straddle Putts (Sloped Greens)

Gateway Magics - Putt and Approach

SS - Main Putter (Inside the Circle), Anhyzer Approaches
RFF - Secondary Putter (Inside the Circle / Sloped Greens)

Did a good bit of work with putters this winter. What I've ultimately come to is this:

Classic (Hard) Warden - in- the-circle (meaning at/into the basket) putter.
McPro Aviar - been using this since I got my new black one, for longer shots at the basket. It's done very well, so far.
S-Line P2 - short approaches and longer shots at the basket.
Star Colt - approaches from 200 ft. and in.
Star Stud - like the Colt, but used into the wind, or where less glide is needed.
Opto Pure or Lucid Judge - meant to be for approach shots were the Colt or Stud would be too much.

I played 36 holes today. I was constantly and badly overthrowing the basket, going 20, 30, even 40 feet past, using the Colt, Stud... and even the Opto Pure. I must've eaten my Wheaties, because i just could not dial in, and powering down meant bad misses with the hyzering/fading out. I ended up just using the McPro Aviar, as I did not have the P2 with me.

So, I'm rethinking the whole thing. But the Warden is my go-to in-the-circle putter, and the P2 is back in the bag where it belongs and will not be removed again. After that, we'll have to see...

Most courses I carry a small bag and just have a P Proxy and a Soft N Envy to cover all the shots I need. I put primarily with the Proxy, but will sometimes putt with the Envy with a headwind, or when I am relying on the fade.

When I carry my Shift I carry 2 more Envies, one beat and one more fresh, and sometimes will stick a Blowfly in the bottom storage for those hill shots that I want to stick or water carry holes.

Pretty much Wizards for everything...

2 AK-47s for putting, upshots, short drives
1 really beat SSS Wizard for understable/anhyzer approaches and death putts
a couple of SS Wizards for upshots/short drives

I use 90% Shields. For drives, approaches and putting. Usually in medium or soft plastic.
I do carry a Harp, Swan and on and off a Macana.

2 Atoms for putting and occasionally for longer annys
1 Serpent for short straight or anny shots/approaches I don't want to overshoot the basket on
1 beat in Envy for straight/slight fade shots
1 hard Harp for FH and OS BH approaches and putter drives