• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting and missing to the right

How far right are you missing? Could you just aim at the left most chains and let your body do the work?

If you are continuously missing to the right, perhaps the spin putt is not right for you. Have you tried Push Putting, the Steve Rico style Spush putt or perhaps even the Cameron Todd style Pop putt?

One other thing I didn't mention before:

Pay attention to how you line your front foot up. With my toe pointed straight ahead I will pull to the right pretty regularly. I line my foot up at about a 45 deg angle to the bucket

I don't know, but of all the mistakes I do and have in my form(and there are many), missing right on right handed putts is- as John Oliver says is: "the Worst!".

One other thing I didn't mention before:

Pay attention to how you line your front foot up. With my toe pointed straight ahead I will pull to the right pretty regularly. I line my foot up at about a 45 deg angle to the bucket

I line my foot up to point right at the pole, and don't have that problem.

my 2 cents - don't allow your forearm/hand to fly outside of your shoulder plane (but this is what i tell myself.. i don't straddle putt, i basically stand in line with the basket - back left toe in line with front right heel)

Try slowing down your putting motion. I have battled missing right my entire career as well. I have found that trying to get too much oomph on the putt causes me to speed up my arm so that my arm gets fully extended before my body gets to the release point. Result is that my wrist flies open as there is no more arm to extend.

Most of this is mental. You know that it requires very little effort to make a disc fly 40', but you think 40' is a long putt so you try to go harder. Slow everything down, use less effort, and focus on your arm extending slowly in pace with the rest of your moving parts.

If you're making it some of the time, I'm betting it's more of a focus issue than a form issue. Especially with putting, because it needs to be more precise, you need to maintain that hard focus all the way through your motion, including follow through.

To build on this, one thing that helps me is to pick a single point on the basket to aim at. I choose a single link in the center chain. When I'm not focused and start aiming at the whole basket, my accuracy falls apart. Aim small, miss small.

Should that fail to work, as someone else said, if your technique means that aiming at the center means you miss right, you may need to offset aim to the left. As you move further from the basket your offset will grow larger, but if you practice it and become comfortable with it, there's nothing wrong with it as long as it works for you and you are confident in it.

Try slowing down your putting motion. I have battled missing right my entire career as well. I have found that trying to get too much oomph on the putt causes me to speed up my arm so that my arm gets fully extended before my body gets to the release point. Result is that my wrist flies open as there is no more arm to extend.

Most of this is mental. You know that it requires very little effort to make a disc fly 40', but you think 40' is a long putt so you try to go harder. Slow everything down, use less effort, and focus on your arm extending slowly in pace with the rest of your moving parts.

yea, +1 here too... slow is good, no need to rush it

i lose putts to the right when i haven't squared up my shoulders to the basket enough (RH putter), and, paradoxically, my left shoulder is back of the right. what that means is that when i putt, my stroke has to be across my body from left to right as opposed to straight up and down, and so i often overcook it and shoot the thing off to the right. lo and behold, it happens a lot when i'm practice putting, holding a stack of discs in my left hand.

I know this is a very old thread but....I am a relatively new disc golfer and have been struggling with the exact same thing. Just discovered that as a right handed putter I have been kicking my trail leg out to the left, causing putts to go right of target. Started kicking trail leg straight back or even a little to the right and has totally worked miracles. I think kicking out to the left with trail leg was throwing my whole body/alignment off to the right. Just wanted to post this an an option for people struggling with misses to the right.

I know this is a very old thread but....I am a relatively new disc golfer and have been struggling with the exact same thing. Just discovered that as a right handed putter I have been kicking my trail leg out to the left, causing putts to go right of target. Started kicking trail leg straight back or even a little to the right and has totally worked miracles. I think kicking out to the left with trail leg was throwing my whole body/alignment off to the right. Just wanted to post this an an option for people struggling with misses to the right.

Great observation. When I'm missing left/right, this is ALWAYS the issue. :clap:

Agreed that the lower body is super important. For me, right misses usually mean I'm just not using my legs enough to drive the disc forward. To compensate, I'm using my arm for too much of the power generation, and I over-extend my elbow. Miss to the right.

I try to keep my elbow locked at the same angle throughout the throw. Down and then back up to the release point. Too much arm movement is bad.

Personally when I find myself missing right it is almost always because I am trying to put too much spin on the put and then begin opening my wrist causing myself to pull my putts right.