• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting like feldberg "no spin"?

attik34

Birdie Member
So, been watching alot of feldberg push putting clinics.

Something he said blows my mind, and I don't get it.

When talks about the push putt, he says there should be "no spin." He refers to throwing a bowl of salad and not wanting any to fall out. I for the life of me cannot make a disc do this, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with watching feldy putt, and whether this is a literal statement or a, lets give them an exaggeration and in order to try to help them kinda statement.

your fingers flick it to put some spin on it, but your wrist is out of the equation. you don't actually knuckle ball the thing in there. unless you do, and i'm completely wrong. whatever im tired.

the discs still spins a little its just a matter of hardly no rotation vs lots. The disc would look like a dying bird if it wasn't spinning at all and moving through the air. Say 1 rotation for every 10' vs 1 every few feet with a spin putt.

don't over-think what hes saying.

the thing with his whole push putt is when hes anywhere even close to outside the circle and specially when he does the walk putt-- the whole "no spin" goes out the window and he spins a lotttttt more than his push.

More finger and hand spring action causes more spin generally. are you gripping the disc in the palm of your hand and just letting it come off your pointer? cant grip too hard or too much on front if you are trying to push putt with a slow rotation to the basket.

When I "Push Putt" from 20', I get about 1 1/2 revolutions on the disc and they are pretty smooth. My wife (who doesn't play DG, but sometimes comes out and putts when I am practicing) throws zero-spin knuckleballs and they are ugly. But she is about 75% from 20', so go figure!!

This statement always makes me nervous.

Also, Aim is right. You'll have a little bit of spin regardless, but it's dramatically less than a typical spin putt.

Also....another question i have about push putting, is how do i get the disc nose up...it doesnt seem like the disc every breaks even in the motion of putting...

The Push putt does have some spin. It must spin a little or its flight would be unstable.
You do this by reducing the effect of the wrist on the throw and increasing the effect of the arm, elbow, shoulder and finger snap, so that you are pushing the disc to the basket. It will take some practice, but it's certainly worth it.

Also....another question i have about push putting, is how do i get the disc nose up...it doesnt seem like the disc every breaks even in the motion of putting...

angle you are holding it. don't hold it like a driver with all planes being equal- raise the front edge of the disc in your hand so it is sitting at a slight angle but becareful with this as too much power and/or wind and its going to be a disaster of a putt. I recommend working on putting with a hyzer KC style than nose up.

angle you are holding it. don't hold it like a driver with all planes being equal- raise the front edge of the disc in your hand so it is sitting at a slight angle but becareful with this as too much power and/or wind and its going to be a disaster of a putt. I recommend working on putting with a hyzer KC style than nose up.

the hyzer style feels super natural to me...and honestly when i see feldy putt, its more hyzer than i'd expect

I think its easier to throw a push putt with the nose up if your motions goes from low to high, IMO If you think of Climo, Feldberg, Brinster, Barry, Schusterick, and Nikko. They all start the forward portion of the putting motion from lower than their waists, some even lower. They drop the disc in their back swing and come up from that drop in the extension portion.

I know all these guys do not putt with the nose up, but its food for thought.

I have been experimenting with a new putting style after being way too inconsistent for my tastes. I spent a lot of time watching Nikko, Feldberg and Shusterick. All of them are very good putters and do things very similarly, but with their own unique take. The frusterating thing is that none of them do a "great" job of explaining their technique from top to bottom. Mostly because they are all trying to get at the same thing, but each explains it differently. Even Feldberg with his 45 minute video throws so much at you that by the time you begin to practice, there is just way too many swing thoughts going through your head.

So after several sessions of trying to imitate each one of these guys individually, I decided to take the elements that are consistent about each of them and use them in the context of my own form that feels most comfortable...that is probably the thing to stress. You should do each of the following, but still make it your own.

1.) Angle of the putt. 90% of straight-on putts (i.e. putts where you don't have an object between you and the basket) are most successfully thrown on a hyzer line. I'm not exactly sure why this is, but it seems like the disc just wants to dive into the basket this way. Don't fight it. When you try to "flick" the putt or get the disc to hit the chains flat, there is a tendency to get too wristy and this can spray the disc left and right. This just adds another variable to try to control.

2.) Let you lower body generate the power. When you are push putting there is very little power being generated from you arm and wrist. Most of it is coming from your legs. All the pros who use the push putting method push their body forward from their legs. When your arm and wrist become involved that is when you spray the disc left and right.

3.) Balance. You want to maintain (ideally) perfect balance when you putt. When you push your body forward using you legs, your upper body pushes forward as your trail leg comes up behind you to keep from falling forward. Feldberg talks about Climo in his video and how his calf muscles are huge. This is because he is so good about maintaining balance. You can't be falling forward, left or right as you release your disc. First, because it will push the disc in different directions. Second, because falling forward over your marker disc is a foul. Your upper body needs to be in sync with your lower body. As you reach out and lean forward, your trail leg must come up and counter balance you at the same time in unison. THis may or may not be helpful, but I picture my body as a teapot.

4.) Reach/Extend with your arm. This is so important. When the disc leaves your hand you need to be reaching as far foward as you can with falling over. You almost need to over exaggerate this feeling. This does two things for you. (1) It pushes you arm up. "Painting the pole" as Feldberg refers to it. In Nikko's video he echos this sentiment in different words. He says it "gives your disc a chance to go in. If you watch video on the pros, when they miss they are often not extending." This kind of goes hand-in-hand with the hyzer disc angle thing. When the disc crashes the chains it is coming down and left (or down and right if you are a lefty). (2) It springs your fingers. In addition to your lower body, your fingers should be the only other part of your body you are using to generate speed/momentum on the disc. From a distance it can seem like the pros are flicking their wrist as they release, when in reality the disc is merely springing from their fingers.

I am far from a pro, but these are the similarities I have found from the great putters I've been watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31WBwNtbQIQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_RCws799LQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_7RPOmSSsU

Last edited:

Latest posts