• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting: Soft or Firm Plastic?

Zeroline spike...not soft, not hard.
Got a Vibram VP too, its just right as well.

Soft all the way. I use a 175 R-Pro Aviar. I got this putter this spring and love it. Previously, I used a variety of putters, all of which could be described as firm.

SS Warlock for me, has the eraser/chalky feel that grips the chains nice but still feels relatively firm. I don't dare use anything that's slick or I'm asking for chain-outs galore.

Also, like them a bit floppier in case I miss on a hill and it lands on end. Want a flat tire when that happens and floppy helps although doesnt make it impossible.

That's me.

SSS Wizards for me, I like it to have give, but not be completely floppy.

I don't care for really flexible, floppy putters, but I do like softer plastic, which is why I like SS and SSS Gateway stuff. I had a Soft Magnet and really didn't like it. I just never could get a good release with it. I also don't care for a beaded putter, just don't like the way they feel in my hand. Currently I got a lot of love for my SS Magic. I like the way it feels in my hand.

I use a Soft Magnet or a Soft APX most of the time. For a minute I was using an XD which is kind of like a roc in putter form...hard...

Now I canned the XD because if i need that shot I've got a mid that will do it...probably a BuzZz....

\/\/

I like soft putters. In fact, I recently got a Elite X Putt'r and so far I am liking it (it is really soft).

im all about floaty and hard-to-soft putter evolution. i throw a 10-yr-old dx aviar and its JUUUUST getting broken in. :p

throw a discrap challenger for longer, more hysery shots. gotta buy a putter and take it out and chuck it against a wall or a tree a bunch of times to get it to take the right line for a primary putter.

i carry a broken-in and a fresh putter so all lines are accessible.

I took my new Soft Magnet out for 3 rounds yesterday, and it did great. I had several situations where I had to make some putts between some very tight spaces, and it hit every time. Also , made several long birdie shots. This disc rocks.

I've experimented with a Soft Magnet and an R-Pro Aviar and both times I've gone back to a DX Aviar that feels a little gummy.

Sorry, but the soft putters just don't feel right in my hand and I have more shanks with them than with firm putters. About the only upside I see is when I do shank a putt, the soft putters don't roll away, and occasionally a brush across the outer chains that would spit out a firm putter might suck in a soft one.

I still have the R-Pro in my bag, but its been relegated to backup and practice status.

ya this is a big consideration on hilly courses. the one i play is very very hilly and if you dont use a soft putter it costs you strokes. changing to a soft magnet saved a couple strokes a round on the course i play.

I Don't like really soft putters because my grip feels inconsistant everytime I grab it. I use a Soft Wizard but it isnt very soft and it grabs the chains really well.