• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting Styles Illustrated

I'm still trying to figure out why the cameraman kept following the Cam Todd's disc instead of just watching his form since that's pretty much all they were talking about. He kept missing the second putt each time.

I'm not able to watch any of the videos from my Blackberry, so I'll have to watch them once I get home. But which one of these would be best to learn if you want to putt straight and hard at the chains?

I'm not able to watch any of the videos from my Blackberry, so I'll have to watch them once I get home. But which one of these would be best to learn if you want to putt straight and hard at the chains?

In his video, Cam talks about focusing on the pole. Maybe try his suggestions?

def with dave here! as a beginner I put this into practice and it hasn't let me down...
Sidenote: did dave have a foot fault on his last putt?

I posted a thread about all this awhile ago (I don't feel like prerubing this). But anyway if you want to see a good straddle putter check out Markus Kallstrom. He has a funky knee bend that generates a crap ton of power for a putt. Also brod... you didn't include a solid spin putter. The snake strike putt is a kind of spin putt... but Dave D is a little crazy... so I have a video with both of the things you are missing.

Next lets address Nikko's putt. It is a straddle putt in stance but I don't think straddle putt should be considered a specific style as much as a stance that dictates how you generate your power for distance. Most straddle putters place there feet square with the basket. So much so that there is a special rule to dictate where their non-lie foot is placed (I don't know the exact rule). Nikko, while straddled, places his left foot far behind his right foot and squares up so that his starts on his right foot, shifts weight to his left foot, and then back to his right. He only shifts as much as need obviously but his shift (to me) ends up kind of emulating a wrestler's shoot. The weight shift only comes in for distance. He tires not to move his lower body for closer putts.

Also, not the best explanation, but I still think this video is rather important.

HIIIIIIYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Bobobo-boBo-bobo4.jpg

So much so that there is a special rule to dictate where their non-lie foot is placed (I don't know the exact rule).
True that. I just want this thread to be a really comprehensive putting video thread, especially showing different styles and pointing out what those styles are so that people can compare and contrast easier.

And I think this image Vegan Ray posted forever ago clears up the straddle putt stance rule:

legal1.jpg

legal2.jpg

illegal.jpg

Here's a decent demo of the nefarious turbo putt style, unfortunately, it's from Expert Village so chances are good that the "expert" is probably not the best candidate for this demo:

This Todd Erickson is a lot better at the Blake_T style short arm putt:

I remember Feldberg saying that he used to spin putt but changed to Climo's style in order to have shorter comeback putts on misses. I was under the impression that Dave's style was very close to Kenny's. This is for shorter putts only, Dave uses a spin putt for his step through putts.

So BroD, what's the difference between "Push Putting" and "Pitch Putting"? Previous to this thread, I have heard the terms used interchangeably.

I remember Feldberg saying that he used to spin putt but changed to Climo's style in order to have shorter comeback putts on misses. I was under the impression that Dave's style was very close to Kenny's. This is for shorter putts only, Dave uses a spin putt for his step through putts.

So BroD, what's the difference between "Push Putting" and "Pitch Putting"? Previous to this thread, I have heard the terms used interchangeably.

They do get thrown around interchangeably, and the differences are pretty nuanced. If I have it right, push putting relies more on finger spring to propel the disc while pitch putting relies more on swinging your arm up (kind of like in a straddle stance) and letting the end of the swing where your elbow goes straight propel or pitch the disc out. Both rely on weight transfer obviously.

I could be completely wrong about all this. :| The various putting styles are some murky waters to wade through semantically and that's why I made this thread, to help make sense of it all.

They do get thrown around interchangeably, and the differences are pretty nuanced. If I have it right, push putting relies more on finger spring to propel the disc while pitch putting relies more on swinging your arm up (kind of like in a straddle stance) and letting the end of the swing where your elbow goes straight propel or pitch the disc out. Both rely on weight transfer obviously.

I could be completely wrong about all this. :| The various putting styles are some murky waters to wade through semantically and that's why I made this thread, to help make sense of it all.

Right on, thanks for breaking it down a little. I remember Dave saying to add force to the disc just before release by thrusting your putting shoulder forward a few inches. I've never heard Kenny say anything like that.
I believe that they both need to use finger spring.

I putt with Kenny's style or maybe Dave's, or at least something very similar. I notice on most of my bad misses, that I forgot to finger spring. This usually happens on putts that have roll away potential. I am trying so hard to get the disc on target that I don't give that final finger explosion.

I think pitch putting just refers to a strategy where you aim for an apex and let the disc descend into the chains and drop in the basket. You very rarely get splash outs with this method, and can actually drop putts right in the basket if you miss weak side.

Push putting refers to how power is generated. Finger spring, weight shift/shoulder push, and keeping a relatively straight arm/stiff elbow are key elements. Typically push putters are also pitch putters, but you could probably also be a spin putter and pitch putter. It's just rare because spin putters often throw harder and rely on the chains to stop and drop their disc.

I think pitch putting just refers to a strategy where you aim for an apex and let the disc descend into the chains and drop in the basket. You very rarely get splash outs with this method, and can actually drop putts right in the basket if you miss weak side.

Push putting refers to how power is generated. Finger spring, weight shift/shoulder push, and keeping a relatively straight arm/stiff elbow are key elements. Typically push putters are also pitch putters, but you could probably also be a spin putter and pitch putter. It's just rare because spin putters often throw harder and rely on the chains to stop and drop their disc.

Thanks Josh, that makes a lot of sense. Not only do you know technique, but you know how to explain it. By your definitions, I push putt on all my putts, but only pitch putt when I am too far out to go straight at chains (~25'). Pitch putting is also conducive to DROTs. I have at least 5 per summer and not just on baskets with number plates.

Lets get a clip on here of the Nate Doss "Pelican Putt" style. generally a left to right drift-in style when he's in a comfortable range.

However, the usefulness of this thread is seeing the styles, and then maybe applying "mental emulation" when on the course. Have to straddle to outsmart an obstacle? Envision that you're not the one putting, Markus Kallstrom or Barry Shultz is... "Become the teacher". And that way, when you miss, no big deal, maybe Barry was off that day...;)

This is an informative thread, now i realize i use a sort of pitch putt, but i'm trying to do a bit more of a push put.

Does anybody use an anhyzer throw for longer putts? I've started throwing my Pig on an anhyzer line when I'm around 50-80 feet. I developed it because I found it hard to accurately throw my Pig that far with my normal throw... I kept fading it left of the basket because it's hard to judge how much the disc will fade from longer distances.

With the anyhyzer line I can throw the Pig right at the basket and it curves right in... my only problem that I've encountered is coming up short, but I'll take short and long over left and right any day.

Does anybody use an anhyzer throw for longer putts? I've started throwing my Pig on an anhyzer line when I'm around 50-80 feet. I developed it because I found it hard to accurately throw my Pig that far with my normal throw... I kept fading it left of the basket because it's hard to judge how much the disc will fade from longer distances.

With the anyhyzer line I can throw the Pig right at the basket and it curves right in... my only problem that I've encountered is coming up short, but I'll take short and long over left and right any day.

Super solid idea!

There are quite a few pros who put just a little bit of anhyzer, I mean a tiny amount, for longer putts, particularly low ceiling putts. Putting with a Pig from outside the circle sounds like a good way to miss though...

There are quite a few pros who put just a little bit of anhyzer, I mean a tiny amount, for longer putts, particularly low ceiling putts. Putting with a Pig from outside the circle sounds like a good way to miss though...

Yea.. it was until I started doing the anhyzer thing. Before that I was making those range putts with my Mako but I found that I became inconsistent with the Mako.

I've tried using my challenger in that range but I just can't lock on with it.