• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting Styles Illustrated

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
409738-pai_mei_super.jpg

"This is a comprehensive thread illustrating all the various putting styles. First, the Four Main Disciplines of the Shaolin putting schools:"

Snake Strike Style aka Spin Putt (Master Dave Dunipace):

Short-Arm Style (Master Blake_T):

Push Putt Style (Masters Dave Feldberg and Cam Todd):

Pitch Putt Style (Master Ken Climo):

paimeig.jpg

"If you feel that these videos are not worthy, come and test your kung fu in this thread!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Mod has been alerted of my weak kung fu, I will discipline myself with 24 hours in horse stance.

^ I'm sorry master.

*lets Zensei beat him with a rattan stick*

Anywho, back on track.

Straddle Putt Style:

Master Nikko has his own variation which incorporates more swing:

Unfortunately, I can't find a solid clip of Master Barry Schultz's straddle-fu so you'll have to settle for watching him beat down Master Nikko @ the 2009 Vibram Open:

for some reason, all the single clips of Barry putting are from a 100 yards away:

Great thread! I was just curious what's the difference between Blake and Beto's short-arm compared to the short arm that Cam Todd does?

BroD, there are no clips of Barry putting from 100 yards away in either of those videos.

Your distance recognition is as fail as your kung fu.

also, I'm kind of annoyed that Beato's vid is in here. "Here's my putting style you should emulate. You see how perfectly I miss this 12' putt?"

BroD, there are no clips of Barry putting from 100 yards away in either of those videos.

Pretty sure he means the camera is 100yds away... and I agree, that Beato clip is about the worst putting vid ever.

Would love to see a Nikko clinic on putting...

also, I'm kind of annoyed that Beato's vid is in here. "Here's my putting style you should emulate. You see how perfectly I miss this 12' putt?"

:D If anyone plays with Beato, maybe you can tell us if that's the way he putts or not. I think that that super jerky version of that putt is mostly for educational purposes, and that you should probably aim to have a more fluid follow-through.

Beato dosn't putt like that he is more of a spin putter on the course. That video is not very good but it is old. Here is the long Feldberg Putting video its very good http://vimeo.com/19847946

:D If anyone plays with Beato, maybe you can tell us if that's the way he putts or not. I think that that super jerky version of that putt is mostly for educational purposes, and that you should probably aim to have a more fluid follow-through.
In that video he's just illustrating what the "finger spring" and short arm putting techniques look like. Doing it without a follow through like that makes it easier to feel but adding a follow through will help with power and consistency. He did the video becasue it's a difficult thing to try to visualize if you haven't actually seen it.

It looks silly, but I suggest trying it out if you haven't. Once you get that spring you'll find that it's really easy to get a super consistent line. All you have to do is line yourself up right and get that spring and you won't miss left or right.

Last I saw he was still using the same basic putt but he's been practicing it for 2+ years now and it looks a lot smoother, both in delivery and the flight of the disc. There's no ****ty wobble anymore.

Putting may not be the strongest part of his game but that's only because he can throw so damn far. Most people would still be amazed at how good his putting is. He can throw a putt freaking hard with that short arm method and it's difficult to see where the power is coming from. That method does help learn good timing with your weight shift and the palm push because it all happens in such a short window of time. I used it for a while but switched to a slower, smoother push putt because I had significant blow by problems with the short arm method.

Your distance recognition is as fail as your kung fu.

it's not even how he putts IIRC, he was just explaining Blake's way